Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennieboyer

Adding vegetables to salsa recipe?

jennieboyer
11 years ago

Hi - I have a recipe for salsa and want to add onions and/or peppers. Can I add these without changing anything else? In other words, do I have to make adjustments to remaining ingredients, particularly tomatoes and vinegar to ensure safe proportions? Thanks!

Comments (8)

• dgkritch
    11 years ago

You need to use a tested recipe for salsa. It's one of those things that is right on the edge for safety due to the low acid veggies.
    Find one you like, then you can increase or decrease heat with the type of peppers you use, but not the quantities.
    That needs to stay the same.

There's no way of knowing if your recipe is safe without seeing it and if you're planning to add more veggies you're pushing beyond the limit.

I personally wouldn't take the risk. I LIKE my family friends and sure wouldn't want to feed them something dangerous! :)

Deanna

• readinglady
    11 years ago

Salsa is higher-risk than many realize. First you have low-acid veggies (onions, garlic, peppers) and then you have tomatoes, which are marginally acid. So having the proper ratio of acid to solids is critical.

Secondly, salsa is eaten straight from the jar, not cooked after opening, so you lack that additional safety measure as well.

As Deanna said, be sure it's a safe-tested recipe and don't mess with it.

Of course, you can always "enhance" salsa after opening, treating your canned product as a base. This would add an appealing element of freshness.

Carol

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Strongly agree with all of the above. Salsa is one of the most risky recipes to mess with and yes, if you added onions and/or peppers you would be changing the pH substantially toward the low-acid and potentially dangerous side.

Everything else would have to be modified to compensate, especially the amount of acid added. And how much or many changes would be needed would just be guess work and so potentially unsafe.

Dave

• jennieboyer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone! The dilemma is that, since I am SOOOO new to this, I was going to use a salsa packet for the spices. I bought a ball one, but then realized that the only real vegetable added is tomatoes. That seems mighty boring to me! Oh well, guess I'll make it work.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

No, the packets already have all the other vegetables and seasonings added including dried onions and peppers. You just add tomatoes and vinegar.

If you are going to use one of the packaged mixes then you need to follow the instructions on the package exactly for it to be safe.

FYI the Ball Salsa Mix is not normally used for canning as it makes such a small amount. If I recall correctly it is for fridge storage only and no canning instructions are included.

For future reference, if you want to use the mixes then many report that the Mrs. Wages mixes are much better.

Dave

• another_buffalo
    11 years ago

When I made salsa and marinara sauce last year, I just froze them. It worked well for me, and I assume that would not be a health risk? Then other veggies could also be added safely?

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

would not be a health risk? Then other veggies could also be added safely?

Yes to both. With freezing there are none of the canning-associated concerns or risks.

Dave

• SneakyP86
    11 years ago

Have you tried 'Annies salsa recipe'?

Here is a link that might be useful: annies salsa