Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cyanide issues in fruit pits?

Posted by pnbrown z6.5 MA (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 11:38

Hi all,

I am making jam from my choke cherries this year. The only feasible way I could think of to get the pits out of these tiny cherries was to simply cook them up whole until the flesh is well-softened and then pass it all throughout a sieve. I did the first batch through a screen using a spoon, and the second batch with the foley mill. In the mill some of the pits broke up.

I knew there is cyanide in stone fruit pits (and apple seeds). It seems that heat may destroy some or all of the cyanide, or not. Then the breaking of the pits got me a bit concerned. In the case of these tiny cherries we are talking about a lot of pits, so if cyanide leached out of the broken ones into the puree, and doesn't cook out, could it be enough to be an issue?

or does this fall into the "if this was dangerous, people would have died of it back in the day" category?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cyanide issues in fruit pits?

does this fall into the "if this was dangerous, people would have died of it back in the day" category?

Yup. Between the simmering, the straining and the further cooking, any amygdalin has been cooked off or denatured.

My mom always simmered chokecherries until they burst, stirred them around to mash them a bit, then hung them in a cloth bag to drain off the juice. it's hard to get any busted bits of pits out of the jelly

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 13:41

The only real threat info I have read is about apricots and peaches (apple seeds apparently pose no threat due to their casing) but nothing comes up on chokecherries.

I would assume the primary risk would be to children, the elderly, and those with compromised immune systems.

However insuring that the pits are not included in the end product is strongly recommended. Both methods you used involve a crushing mechanism as opposed to simply draining so for future reference I'd suggest sticking with one of the many draining.straining methods rather than any mechanical crushing.

JMO

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous discussion about this question

o

Thanks for the responses.

Dave, even in the foley mill it was just some pits splitting in half I noticed. Nothing or next nothing ended up in the finished product. With spoon and screen method no pits broke at all, so although a little more laborious I'll do it all that way next time.

I suspect I am being way over-cautious - even if some pit debris were included and thus some amygdalin, presumably one would have to eat a huge amount of jam at one time to get harmed?

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 21:42

Yes. Peaches are the worst, but even for them you can eat a few raw pits (they are very similar to almonds in shape and taste) with impunity.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here