Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kayskats

Carol, it's all your fault...

kayskats
16 years ago

I'm dieing of anticipation and have a couple of weeks to go before tasting the Cerises A l'Aigre-doux.

They are so beautiful. I used red grape tomatoes. Bought a pint basket of yellow to mix in, but they were too soft after the 24 hours in the salt brine so I tossed 'em (actually I ate quite a few of 'em). Wound up with two pints and 1 l2-oz quilted jelly jar of the reds. If they taste half as good as they look, I'll be in heaven.

I have already discovered a new treatment for tomatoes to be used in a tossed salad. After the intial 24-hour brine, those grape tomatoes had such a delightfully mild salty taste (yeah, I sampled those, too) that I plan to brine them for salads in the future. Thanks.

Comments (31)

• readinglady
    16 years ago

I'm really glad you like them (so far so good, LOL). I haven't tried them with grape tomatoes, but I'm betting those would be about perfect because of the thicker skins. A lot of the cherry tomatoes just seem too delicate.

Carol

• kterlep
    16 years ago

this sounds great. Can you link to the original conversation? I'm awash in the most beautiful pink cherry tomatoes. :)

• readinglady
    16 years ago

Sure, here's the recipe. Just be sure the tomatoes you use are firm.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Cherry Tomatoes

• kayskats
    Original Author
    16 years ago

... really firm!!!! -Kay

• kayskats
    Original Author
    16 years ago

not only are the Tomatoes-Cerises a l'Aigre-doux pretty, they are really good even with dried tarragon .. (I was unable to find fresh)...
    they have a really strong vinegar taste (I used cider vinegar), but in this case I like it.
    I think I'd like green- really green- cherry tomatoes, too. Also what do you think of a good champaigne vinegar?
    FYI, although the outside of the grape tomatoes held up, the insides are a bit soft ... guess I'll have to eat them really fast. LOL
    Thanks for the recipe -Kay

• shirleywny5
    16 years ago

Carol
    I have a quart of these tomatoes in the fridge. They look so pretty. I sampled two of them last week. I used grape and yellow pear. I didn't have either of the two herbs you suggested, so I used a teaspoon of mixed Italian dried herbs. I think it will work well. They are still firm and taste yummy. I have some very cute wooden pick to use with the toms on veggie platters during the holidays. I'm sure they will last that long. I will start more latter. It took me two week to find the recipe. Wish I could pronounce the French name. Can you help me? Otherwise, I'll call them marinated toms.

• ilovepoco
    16 years ago

kayskats, I can't wait to try this recipe - I am awash in Sungold cherry toms. I just made 6 half-pints of Tomato Preserves from the Ball Blue Book today, and it is just gorgeous - a soft pinky-gold with all of the seeds suspended. I probably would have had SEVEN half-pints but I kept sampling all through the 2-day process :o)

And Tomates-Cerises a l'Aigre doux is pronounced Toe-MAHT seh-REEZ ah leh-greh DOO. It translates as "Bitter-sweet Orange Cherry Tomatoes" - sounds much better in French!

Susan

• kayskats
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thank you for the pronounciation and translation ... it does sound better in french ... but is a very good description -- except I used all red grape tomatoes... now how would that change the name?

• readinglady
    16 years ago

I think "Marinated Toms" works just as well. Now if I can find some fresh mozzarella. Not French, LOL, but I'll bet it would serve quite nicely with some country bread and these little guys plus some olives marinated in olive oil and herbs, served warm from the oven in the Provencal style. (Dang, I can't get this site to accept French diacritical marks.)

Carol

• kayskats
    Original Author
    16 years ago

how about a couple on a cocktail pick in a gin martini?.. maybe with a pickled onion is between?

• dgkritch
    16 years ago

How about.......I can't taste mine for another week!!!
    Waaahhhhhhhh..........

Deanna

• jimster
    16 years ago

Better make it two more weeks just to be sure.

You're welcome for the suggestion.

Jim

• prairie_love
    16 years ago

And here I am, behind as usual ... I just started my very first ever batch of these today - they are soaking in the brine as I write. But I am excited, what a wonderful sounding recipe. I used a mix of Sungolds (orange), Galina Yellow (obviously yellow), Super Sweet 100 (red), Black Cherry (purple really, and bigger than the others), and Camp Joy (red, and bigger like Black Cherry). I can't wait to taste there....

Ann

• kayskats
    Original Author
    16 years ago

that color combination sounds beautiful, Ann, Even using only red grape toms as I did, this one scores on looks as well as taste.
    when you pack them in the jars tomorrow (today), sample a few just out of the brine ... I loved the salty surface taste and now give my cherry toms 24 hours in brine before tossing in a salad. --Kay

• readinglady
    16 years ago

I love the sound of the mixed colors, but unfortunately I have only one cherry tomato plant. (Which our elderly neighbor has been scavenging; he's worse than the deer.)

Maybe I'll buy a few because I'm just imagining those glorious colors on a salad mid-winter. I'm also thinking I might try this brine with a test jar of a new striped heirloom I'm growing. It's a small two-inch striper. Should be really attractive.

Carol

• dgkritch
    16 years ago

Awwwww..........thanks a LOT Jim!
    Just for that, I may try them early!! So there!! :+)

I bought mine Carol. A mix of red and yellow cherry toms. Very pretty in the 12 oz. "quilted" glass jars with fresh sprigs of tarragon.

Anyone besides Shirley experimenting with other herbs?
    I am thinking fresh Oregano might be good. I grow THAT! I've got Sage and Rosemary too. Lavender.....eh, probably NOT! I love the look of the sprig of fresh herbs in there, but I bought a small package of Tarragon for $1.98, used a tiny amount and the rest went bad.

Other recipes using Tarragon?

Deanna

• kayskats
    Original Author
    16 years ago

if I can find green cherries or green grape toms, I'll try champaigne vinegar ... and maybe dill (fresh sprigs).

thre's a recipe in yesterday's Washington Post for Saffron Cocktail. (and you thought the tarragon was expensive)

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/recipes/2007/08/22/saffron-onions/

can anyone tell me the difference between distilled and regular champagne vinegar? I'm assuming it's at least 5%.

• readinglady
    16 years ago

You can make a paste of the tarragon and oil, akin to a pesto base and freeze in cubes. Wonderful for use with chicken.

In fact it works for any culinary herb. Take a bunch, wash, trim roots and tough stems. Pulse in FP or blender with 1/4 cup olive oil. Add more olive oil if necessary to make a paste (not soupy). Freeze in ice cube trays. Works with tarragon, chervil, any tender summer herb.

Good with mayonnaise dressings (spread on salmon), vinaigrettes, cubes in soups, etc. etc.

Carol

• zabby17
    16 years ago

Deanna,

I like tarragon in eggs --- scrambled, or hard-boiled in egg salad. As Carol says, it's great with chicken -- you can stuff a whole sprig of it into the cavity when you roast a chicken, along with a few garlic cloves, for a lovely aroma and taste.

If you like pickled things generally and have some beans, make "tarragony beans" --- I did this a few years ago (substitute for the dill in dilly beans) and they were yummy. Also did some with a bit of both for "dillagony beans" ;-)

Zabby

• jimster
    16 years ago

And then, there is bearnaise sauce.

Superb on eggs benedict, poached salmon, fillet mignon topped with artichoke heart (tournedos bearnaise), etc.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Bearnaise Sauce

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

I put tarragon in my spaghetti sauce and many things with a tomato base...delicious!

Michelle

• dgkritch
    16 years ago

Man! I wish I would have asked BEFORE I let it sit there and go bad. These all sound good. I have chickens, so plenty of eggs! Love pickled stuff, so the tarragon beans sound good. And roasted chicken......
    Dang it, dang it, dang it.
    I should know better by now....................................

Deanna

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

Carol, can I add some tiny white and purple onions to the Marinated Toms? Or is adding onions a big NO-NO?

Michelle

• readinglady
    16 years ago

I don't see any problem with it since this is a refrigerated, not canned, pickle and the solution is 100% vinegar.

You may or may not want to increase sugar. These are quite tangy.

I'm awash in herbs. I might try some marjoram in lieu of tarragon in a jar or two; I like a bit less bite than oregano.

Carol

• kayskats
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Carol ... you original recipe calls for summer savory ... have you tried that? -Kay

• readinglady
    16 years ago

Well, summer savory OR tarragon. I have tons of tarragon so I use that. (I am also a BIG fan of tarragon.) I do have savory but winter not summer. I haven't tried that, though I think it could be quite good, perhaps in lesser amounts. I still like the idea of marjoram, though.

This is a fun recipe to play around with. Made in small amounts and not processed, so you can experiment with a pint and not risk much.

Carol

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

Thanks Carol for the quick answer on the onion question. I can't find any color of tomatoes except the usual red so wanted a bit of a spark of white and purple for color.

I think I will try basil and tarragon. I would love do a jar with marjoram but I don't have any this year. I do have rosemary but rosemary is such a strong flavor.

I have 2 bottles of 5% Golden Balsamic Vinegar and I think I will use. It was on sale, 2@1, a few months ago and it tastes like a mild cider vinegar to me. So I think I will throw in a few TBL of regular dark Balsamic.

Michelle

• kayskats
    Original Author
    16 years ago

this has been a great recipe to play around with ... thanks for mentioning it. Kay

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

This was so much fun! I don't think any extra sugar was needed as the recipe was perfect!

I did 1 qt with golden balsamic vinegar. One qt with cider vinegar and about 1/2 c. of white merlot which was just delicious! And 2 pts with mix of cider vinegar, champagne vinegar and raspberry vinegar...YUM. I did all with tarragon...it was 1:00 am when I finished and I was too tired to go pick basil with a flashlight.

I mixed cherry and grape tomatoes. The grape tomatoes really held their own the best and they were easier to fit into the jar too.

Next year I am going to grow several grape varieties for marinating and drying.

I would love to attend the Carmel Festival...how much fun would that be!!

Michelle

Here is a link that might be useful: Carmel Tomato Festival

• kayskats
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm sold on grape tomatoes .. particularly in the winter from the supermarket -- they seem to have more flavor than anything else including the Romas. --Kay

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

I did find a nice seed site with pictures of grape and cherry tomato varieties.

World's Smallest Tomato

"Plant produces heavy yields of tiny red pea size tomatoes. Ten tomatoes will fit on a spoon! One of the smallest tomatoes in the world. These tomatoes are very flavorful. Kids love them!"

Here is a link that might be useful: Grape Tomato Varieties