Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carlam71

Recipe using ketchup and hot peppers?

carlam71
16 years ago

Does anyone have a recipe using ketchup...to can your hot peppers in...I have one but there is too much oil in it to use for canning....Perhaps I could just omit the oil? Here is the recipe. It is soooooooo good...I need to find something like it to use for canning...Please and Thank You!!

28 oz ketchup

2c oil

2c vinegar

1 1/2 brown sugar

Comments (12)

• readinglady
    16 years ago

You asked the same question Sept. 5. If you are hoping for more feedback (or a more favorable answer) then you can just bump the thread up and mention you're hoping some members who didn't respond the first time will respond now.

The issues are the same, though.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Is This Recipe Safe to Can?

• carlam71
    Original Author
    16 years ago

WOW! Carol...actually it's different...I am asking if I can omit the oil.

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Using any oils in home canning is not advisable. Its not safe, and the end result could be toxic, or at least rancid. Omit oils from recipes and be sure to use enough acidity if its BWB canned.

• digdirt2
    16 years ago

The problem, carlam, is that in your enthusiasm, which is commendable, ;) you seem to want to keep trying recipes from unapproved sources because they "taste so good". But as said before - they are cooking recipes, NOT canning recipes. Much as we might like to do it, cooking recipes simply cannot be used for canning.

And trying to modify cooking recipes into canning recipes, unless it is done by a very knowledgeable pro and then tested is not a safe practice. It is very important that we get that point across.

Apparently you have lots of peppers that you want to preserve in some fashion, right? Then either freeze them or dry them. That is the most commonly recommended preserving method and they can then be used later to make all your favorite cooking recipes, including this one. But you cannot can this one, oil or no oil.

If you feel you MUST can them then for your and your family's safety you must use only tested and approved canning recipes.

Dave

• digdirt2
    16 years ago

Check out this discussion on peppers in tomato sauce as it has additional info on why this isn't a good idea. It is basically the same thing you are trying to do. Hope it helps.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Peppers in tomato sauce

• readinglady
    16 years ago

I understand your comment that your question (removing the oil) is different, but the recipe is the same and the overall issue is the same - "Is it possible to safely can this recipe?"

The problem with posting two different threads is 1) Members don't have convenient access to the original discussion, which already addressed some of the issues with this recipe 2) Those who search the Forum find duplicate threads and have to sort out which is relevant to them.

Although your question is different, it's a reasonable follow-up to the original and it would have been helpful to have posted it as a development of the first thread. Otherwise this Forum becomes buried in redundancy.

To follow up on what Dave said so well, Ketchup has a pH varying between 3.89 and 3.92, so it is safely high-acid. There is also the vinegar, which has a pH ranging from 2.4-3.4. Again, high-acid. However, peppers range in pH from 4.65 (some few hot peppers) way up to 5.93. That is high pH (low-acid) in canning terms, and botulism loves high pH (low-acid). Botulism also loves water, which fresh peppers have in abundance. So while elminating the oil "helps" (makes the recipe less risky) it doesn't resolve the problem.

The problem is we cannot tell you any safe way to can this recipe because 1) We have no idea what proportion of peppers to ketchup/vinegar we are talking about 2) We have no idea how the density of the ketchup around the peppers would affect heat penetration, thus affecting processing time, and 3) We lack the testing facilities of a commercial establishment/USDA facility or Extension agency.

I know there are many Forums and sites on the internet which post a wide variety of "canning" recipes. However, it is a huge responsibility to recommend a recipe and we should not take lightly the safety issues. There are just too many unknowns to recommend or "create" a processing method or time.

There are times we extrapolate from existing recipes, but even then we try to be careful to caution that we are only speculating, not providing safe-tested information.

It is a frustration, I know, to find a recipe you like and to know that others have processed it and not yet run into problems. However, the question is do you want to serve something to loved ones and friends when you are not 100% confident of its safety?

Carol

• carlam71
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry to put you out Carol...I'm sure it's very stressful looking at the same post. Don't worry, I won't be posting here anymore.....and thank you Dave for your help.

• kayskats
    16 years ago

ditto to what everyone has said: that is one risky recipe for canning.

however, the real point of your quest is that you like the taste of this recipe BUT it will not taste the same when you remove the oil. And when you add vinegar or lemon juice, it will be even further removed from that taste.

Why go to all that work and risk for something that doesn't live up to your taste ...

I speak from experience. I did not can my beloved pepper hash this year because my recipe was questionable. When I found a tested recipe that I thought I would like, the drought had sent the price of peppers through the roof.
    I think it was in your previous posting that Ken suggested freezing ... that sounds like something you should investigate further.

Kay

• digdirt2
    16 years ago

I was going to email you about this carlam but there is no email address posted on your page so I'll post it here in the hopes that you will read it.

Sorry to put you out Carol...I'm sure it's very stressful looking at the same post. Don't worry, I won't be posting here anymore....

I'm sorry you choose to react to this way and I hope you will reconsider. You missed the point of Carol's posts as it is clear that she, like all of us, only had your safe interests in mind.

Home canning, if approached with the casual attitude that your posts convey, is very dangerous. It is our responsibility to point that out and to take it seriously when it comes to giving advice. And it is your responsibility to take that advice in the spirit in which it is given.

Enjoy your produce but please focus on being safe in the process.

Dave

• CA Kate z9
    16 years ago

Carlam71: I'm also sorry you took Carol's, and others warnings badly. We come here as friends who sometimes are advisors and/or teachers. Friends don't let friends do deadly things; and teachers sometimes need to be stern to get the point across. Having friends (or family) die from "bad" canned food is such a sad experience because "it didn't have to happen"; and the death isn't "nice" either. BTDT ... not my canned food tho', thank God.

• readinglady
    16 years ago

I too am sorry carlam left. I hope she heard our concerns or perhaps comes back at a later time, even if just as a lurker, to read and consider.

It's human nature to want a particular answer and tempting to "shop around" until we get it. Unfortunately, there are lots of places on the internet that post and promote all kinds of questionable recipes and practices. Caveat emptor.

Carol

• ahbee01
    3 years ago

I have tried to search the answer but nothing close to what I ask come up! lol.
    I know this isn't safe to can but would it be safe to make in a small batch for eating fresh and refrigerating left overs? If so how long would it be safe to store in the fridge? I have the same question about making hot peppers with vinegar, oil, garlic, with basil and oregano. I have only a small amount of hot peppers we like those recipes, but I never make it because I know it's not shelf stable. I know people make for fresh eating but wondered how long they stored leftovers!
    II would say I have enough to eat fresh the day of and then maybe enough left over for a meal or two?
    Thanks if anyone sees this!