Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kerry_vetter

what to do with all the green tomatoes?

Kerry Vetter
12 years ago

so I am in the sad part of the year and gutting my garden, our first hard frost was yesterday:( that being said I have a lot of nice looking green tomatoes, any ideas what to make with them? I came across a salsa verde recipe, do you think I could substitute tomatillo with green tomato?

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: salsa verde

Comments (6)

• cziga
    12 years ago

I was in the same position about a week ago and didn't want to just make green tomato soups and salsas. This not a canning recipe, but I just made a green tomato bread the other day. If you've ever had/made zuccini muffins or anything like that, this is very similar.

Having made it, I would say that it is pretty good. Not MY favorite (but then, I don't like zuccini muffins either) but everyone else who has tried it, has like it. I thought maybe it could use a little more "zing" but not sure how to do that yet. I wanted to make more breads this year, orange-cranberry is up next.

Anyways, if you're interested in trying it, the recipe is:

You can freeze the puree in measured quantities at the end of the summer so that you'll have this ready when needed to make this moist bread. I make the recipe with part Splenda to keep the sugar content down, but you can use all sugar instead. Same with the non-fat yogurt, use whatever type you like or even sour cream which gives it a nice tang.

* This is a double recipe, it makes 2 loaves of bread. If you only want 1 loaf, you'll want to half the recipe *

Ingredients:

1/2 cup Canola Oil
    8 oz. Non-Fat Plain Yogurt (or Low-Fat Sour Cream)
    3 Large Eggs
    1 Cup Sugar
    1 Cup Splenda
    2 Cups Green Tomatoes, chopped, pureed and drained
    3 Cups All-Purpose Flour (or 2 Cups Flour, 1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour)
    1/2 tsp.Baking Powder
    1 tsp. Baking Soda
    2 tsp. Cinnamon
    1/2 tsp Nutmeg (ground)
    1/2 tsp.Cloves (ground)
    1/8 tsp.Salt

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Grease and flour two loaf pans. (Butter works better than oil)

Combine Oil, Yogurt or Sour Cream, Eggs, Sugar, (Splenda) and Pureed Green Tomatoes in a large bowl and mix well.

Sift together Flour, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, and all Spices (Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Cloves and Salt). You can use a fine mesh kitchen sieve, instead of a sifter to pass (shake) the flour mix through.

Add the Flour mixture to the wet ingredients and stir together until just combined.

Divide evenly between the two prepared pans and bake until a toothpick comes clean from the center of the bread, about 45 minutes.

Let cool in pans, then remove.

To retain moisture, wrap in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator.

May be frozen.

• cziga
    12 years ago

Funny thing, I was searching for something else and and just found this thread. This is probably where I got the recipe above ... there are lots of other good ones here too :)

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/harvest/msg1017225717428.html

Here is a link that might be useful: What'cha doin' with your GREEN tomatoes?

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Yeah a search almost always pays off. :) I linked several other 'green tomatoes' discussions below.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Green tomatoes discussions

• Kerry Vetter
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much guys, I will check out the link Dave. The bread recipe sounds like it just may be worth a shot, I hate to see them all go to the compost!

• drmbear Cherry
    12 years ago

I've learned that the green tomatoes make the best salsa (in my opinion). I also always have lots of hot peppers at the end of the season, so it works out great. The reason they work well in making salsa is because they are already low in water content as compared to ripe tomatoes, and they hold up better in the cooking.

• mommymammal
    12 years ago

That bread recipe sounds interesting--I guess you can put almost any kinds of vegetables in sweet quick breads (except alliums!). I saw a recipe once for eggplant bread--pretty much a standard zucchini bread type recipe except with shredded eggplant. I'm not overly fond of most eggplant recipes, but will give this a try.
    As for the green tomatoes, I make pickles with them--yum! Dilled green tomato recipes abound, if you do a search. I also make mixed pickles with green tomatoes, small sweet and hot peppers, small whole onions or shallots, baby carrots, or whatever I have left over. Pickle recipes are very forgiving.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting