Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canning 'cracker Barrell' apples

Posted by smokey28777 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 7, 08 at 10:46

I found a wonderful recipe for apples that are identical to the ones at carcker barrell restaurant.I am wondering if I could can them? I made some for dinner last night and put the leftover "hot' apples in a hot pint jar with a hot lid and ring and they sealed almost immediately. Would i need to process them in a hot water bath, or are they ok since they sealed. If processing in hot water bath, how long should I process? Here is the recipe:

Put 2 cups of apple juice in fry pan
Slice 4 unpeeled golden delicious apples and add to hot juice, cook until fork tender then remove from pan, (leave juice in pan).

Wisk together 1/2 cup apple juice
4 Tbsp sugar
3 Tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp apple pie spice. Slowly add this to hot apple juice in pan. Cook until thick and then pour over apples. It is YUMMY! If I can should I use Certo Jel instead of cornstarch, and if so how much to replace 3 Tbsp cornstarch.

Thanks for your help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canning 'cracker Barrell' apples

Well first, yes you would have to process them. Hot sealing of a jar isn't considered safe as the air is still trapped in the jar and the seal is a very poor one.

Secondly, the recipe contains cornstarch so no, this recipe could not be canned. Thickeners such as it are not allowed in home canned recipes. You could - maybe - sub some Clear Jel for it but that is the only allowed thickener and it would just be a guess as to how much to add.

This is a cooking recipe meant to eat fresh and cooking recipes seldom translate to safe canning recipes.

You can safely freeze this recipe and I have linked the approved recipe for canning sliced apples below.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Canning Sliced Apples

o

You refer to 'hot' water bath. Its actaully a BOILING water bath and should cover the tops of the jars by at least 2-3 inches. Avoid the 'cornstarch' too! There is a much safer and more stabled starch called Clear Jel. Its what most all commercial makers use and its also found in all packaged pudding mixes that are not instant. Apple pie spice can be many differnet blends, with some basics as cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. Also, cardamom is used as well as alligator pepper (Grains of Paradise), coriander, allspice, clove, and a few others. To attempt to make this home cannable, it would need a lot more added acid, as well as some ascorbic acid to reduce oxidation.
My dad loved baked apples. He just cored almost all the way through, add a little cinnamon and some brown sugar, and a little butter. Bake until soft. They tend to create their own gel in the juices.

o

Here's a link to a previous discussion on a similar recipe. I think your product might be too thick to can.

You can safely can apple slices in juice with added sugar and the spices. Then when you open the jar, mix the right amount of cornstarch with cold water and mix that in to thicken it while it's heating.

Melissa

Here is a link that might be useful: canning fried apples

o

Is this really different than the USDA recipe for canned pie filling ? I have never had the Cracker Barrell apples.
You can easily use the pie spice instead of the others in the recipe.

o
RE: Canning 'cracker Barrell' apples - smokey

Do you slice them in 8ths or 4ths.... ?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here