Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denninmi

Help with pickling Pepperoncini

denninmi
13 years ago

I would like to make pickled Pepperoncini peppers that are like the ones that come from the Greek restaurants on salads. To me, they are not very tart, and quite salty. Just wondering if anyone knows how they are made/has a recipe for the brine (the technique is pretty basic pickled peppers, I'm sure).

I found a thread on here. While it looks promising, I think it might be too sweet, as I don't think the ones from the restaurants have any sugar in the brine.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/harvest/msg0616012329394.html

Comments (11)

• denninmi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I re-read the recipe in the thread. It only has a small amount of sugar, so probably will be fine. For some reason, the recipe says Tablespoon, and I was thinking CUP.

I will probably up the salt a bit, after tasting it, of course. I'm not a big salt person overall, but the peppers from the Greek restaurants here are probably as salty as your typical olive, and I like that flavor in contrast with the other components of the salad.

• readinglady
    13 years ago

You can delete the sugar if you like. It doesn't affect safety. You can also increase or decrease the salt; however, I'd recommend making a batch "as is" regarding the salt and see how you like that before tinkering.

Carol

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

There are specific "Greek" varieties of the pepper usually used so I don't know if the results using other varieties would be the same or not. But they are a fermented pepper rather than a pickled pepper. Fermented whole and then sliced before serving.

Check out the article/recipe below for more info.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Greek Pepperoncini

• ekgrows
    13 years ago

I pickled greek pepperoncini peppers a couple years ago, and just used the recipe for pickled hot peppers in the BBB. I liked how they tasted, but were a little limp. I didn't grow pepperoncinis this year, but I will next year, and will try adding some pickle crisp to the recipe, and maybe tuck a jalapeno or serrano in each jar - to spice them up a bit.

Hope that helps

• denninmi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks to all of you for answering me.

I did grow actual Greek Pepperoncinis this year, and they are loaded with peppers. A lot of them are red or partially red, but that's ok, they'll look pretty.

Dave, the link to the fermented ones is really interesting, but I don't think I'm brave enough to try that. It does make sense, though, as I said, the ones from restaurants are quite salty and not very sour. I have made sauerkraut, but that is the only fermented thing I've made. Someday, when I have more time, I'll give it a whirl.

For now, I'm just going to stick with the pickled pepper recipe you posted in the thread last year, and see how I like that.

• dgkritch
    13 years ago

I just pickled 13 half pints of banana pepper rings this morning. I used the recipe from the Ball Complete book.

6 c. white vinegar
    2 c. water
    3 garlic cloves
    Brought to a boil and simmered 10 minutes. Discard garlic.
    Peppers packed in jars, pour hot brine over and BWB for 10 minutes. Recipe is for pints, but processing is the same for half pints.
    I added just a touch of salt and sugar to the brine.
    I also added a pinch of dill seed and 1/4 tsp. of Pickle Crisp to each jar.
    Hope they're good!

My last batch was too sweet and too soft. And of course I can't find the recipe I used.

I only added about 2 tsp. of sugar to the entire batch of brine this time.

So, where's a good source for true Greek Pepperoncini seeds?
    The sweet banana peppers were a last ditch effort to grow something similiar because I couldn't find them.

Deanna

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

Deanna - the link I posted above includes a couple of different seed sources for starters.

Dave

• dgkritch
    13 years ago

Thanks Dave, I'll check them out.
    Lots of times I don't open the links just because I'm on dial-up and everything takes forever!

Deanna

• Kerry Vetter
    11 years ago

Has anyone had any luck canning pepperoncini? I just read the article Dave posted and am going to buy Greek pepperoncini seeds but am not sure I want to do the fermenting process. Any other ideas?

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    11 years ago

kerry, the BBB has the canning instructions in it.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Has anyone had any luck canning pepperoncini? I just read the article Dave posted and am going to buy Greek pepperoncini seeds but am not sure I want to do the fermenting process. Any other ideas?

Sure. Lots of discussions here about various ways to make them, or something like them. Since the true ones are fermented and you don't want to ferment them for some reason then pickling is the only other method available. They won't be the same but are still good - just different.

NCHFP provides the instructions for pickling and canning peppers of all kinds and there are instructions in both the Ball books and Joy of Pickling

The primary concern with pickling as opposed to fermenting is they aren't as crisp so then you use Pickle Crisp to eliminate that problem.

Dave.

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Pickling Peppers - hot, rings, mixed, etc.