Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monique_ca

Wanted: canning recipes w/curry!

Monique_CA
16 years ago

My brother in law is fascinated that I've learned how to can, and my sister tells me that he loves anything with curry in it. Does anyone have any good canning recipes with curry powder in it?? Thanks!!

Comments (13)

• User
    16 years ago

Hi Monique,

I have not canned any curry recipes yet but would imagine you could add curry and other dry Indian spices to one of the Bernardin meat recipes on the link below.

Bill

Here is a link that might be useful: Bernardin Meat canning

• zabby17
    16 years ago

monique,

The Bernardin canning book also has this recipe for Curry Raisin Jelly, on of the collection of five by Bob Rouleau of which the Habanero Gold is well known and loved here.

I have also tried the Zesty Red Onion Jelly and liked it, but haven't tried this one.

Curry Raisin Jelly
    3 cup granulated sugar
    1 to 2 tsp curry powder
    1/2 cup golden raisins
    1/2 cup very finely chopped Spanish onion
    3/4 cup white vinegar
    1 pouch liquid pectin

Combine sugar and curry powder in a large, deep pan. Stir in raisins, onion, and vinegar. Over high heat, bring to a full roiling boil. Stirring constantly, boil hard 1 minute. Remove from heat. Immediately stir in pectin, mixing well.

Pour jelly into hot jars, dividing solids equally among jars and filling each jar to 1/4 inch of top rim. Wipe jars. Apply lids. Process 10 minutes in a BWB.

Cool about 30 minutes. When lids are concave but jelly is still hot and starting to thicken, move around jar (turn side to side and upside-down) to distribute solids. (Don't leave it upside down for long periods). Repeat as needed until jelly is set and solids are nicely suspended.

Good luck!

Zabby

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Isn't curry a blend of a lot of different spices? I would assume that almost anything could be spiced up using some, or all the different spices. There are also different color combintaions, yellow, green, and red.

• zabby17
    16 years ago

Yep, "curry powder" is a blend of spices, and traditional Indian & other near eastern curries are made each with its own particular combination, prefrably ground fresh. None of my Indian-Canadian friends would ever keep curry powder in the house, and I don't much like the flavour of most commercial ones myself; now I keep whole cardomon, coriander, cumin, etc. on hand instead.

Some people like the blends used in quality commercial curry powders, however, especially a reasonably fresh jar.

BTW, the recipe for the curry raisin jelly suggests that you could instead infuse vinegar with whole spices (black pepper, coriander, cumin seeds, cloves, cinnamon --- and I wd add cardamon) in place of the curry powder; you simmer them in the vinegar for a while before proceeding, then strain them out. This also produces a more trnaslucent jelly.

Zabby

• readinglady
    16 years ago

There's also the Madras Pickled Eggplant from "Small-Batch Preserving." That's received very good reviews.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eggplant Recipe a Keeper

• SuzyQ2
    16 years ago

Not canned with curry powder, but each year I can a large amount of chickpeas & tomatoes for use in Indian recipies....although I typically use garam masala & individual spices (not curry powder) and the spices are added as I cook.

Funny this topic should come up. I bought a few masala & curry simmering sauces at Trapper Joes last week and was wondering if they could be made at home & canned and went as far as checking ingredients. Their yellow Thai curry sauce has coconut milk and the masala simmer sauce has light cream. so those seem "out" for canning.

But The red curry simmer sauce is basically tomato onion red pepper sauce with spices (ginger, garlic, salt, coriander, cumin, tumeric, paprika, lemon juice, cinnamon & cloves) It also has canola oil, but I'd assume that could be left out for canning (?).

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Isn't that Trader Joe's? I remember eating some kind of meal with green curry that made me sick. Never again, will I eat in an Indian resturant. Not sure if it was the spice mix or the food it seasoned. Needless to say I am not a big fan of most curry types. I do like Garam Marsala however as well as a few middle eastern spice mixes that contain cumin, clove, allspice, tumeric, and several others.

• SuzyQ2
    16 years ago

Lol....yup, Trader Joes :-) I'm obviously not a regular there.

Hmmm....I adore Indian food.

• zabby17
    16 years ago

suzq,
    Oh, so do I! It's a taste I had to acquire --- I grew up on Midwestern Bland --- but boy, am I glad I did. The last place I lived in Toronto before moving out of the city was right in the Indian neighbourhood of town. One of the things I miss the most is being able to walk 2 blocks and choose from half a dozen excellent, inexpensive, family-run Indian restaurants for lunch. Many had a buffet of all you can eat, allowing for sampling.

Zabby

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Indian and Greek resturants around here, don't last very long. We even had one of those 'Red Lobster' chains open up nearby, and only lasted about 3 months before closing. Seafood places just can't compete with all the fresh seafood we have here. The latest commercials for Red Lobster is the Langistinos. They are a tiny, poor excuse for a lobster. Same was true for those donuts from Krispy Kreme, they were gone just a couple of months after opening. Up the road there is a sign saying 'opening soon' for an Indian resturant, and that sign has been there over 6 years now, and still has never opened.. Cambridge (Harvard Square) seems a more likely spot for all the kinds of ethinic food resturants.

• zabby17
    16 years ago

ken,
    I am not surprised about the Red Lobster not lasting in seafood heaven, but do you know, I was astonished to find that Taco Bell fluorishes all over New Mexico --- there were franchises all over the place in Albuquerque, when you could get the real thing for very little more money in plenty of places nearby. So go figure!

You are right about Harvard Square --- student-y spots. It was as a student that I first had my culinary repertoire much broadened. Also living around Toronto. Stints in the Portuguese and Greek areas before the Indian one. Mmmm...

A caribbean place opened up this summer in our small town but I will be surprised if it lasts --- too bad.

Zabby

• Monique_CA
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the recipes and links!

• magician176
    10 years ago

Hello Monique, Here is a traditional South Africa curried fish recipe that can be canned! There are different recipes, but good one's like this is hard to come by. Please go to this website!
    http://www.food.com/recipe/curried-pickled-fish-old-traditional-south-african-recipe-262585

Kind regards
    Edsward

Here is a link that might be useful: Curried Pickled Fish, Old Traditional South African Recipe