Return to the Hellebore Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
growing hellepbores in maine

Posted by goinnorth z5 ME (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 4, 06 at 21:56

i want to grow hellebores here in zone 4 in maine. i have a couple and they have foliage, but didn't flower this year. i'm wondering if there is any tricks to get them to flower, conditions they particularly like. i am new to these plants, so bear with me: i am under the impression there are 2 types -christmas and lenten rose, the first blooming in winter, the latter in spring -easter time - is this correct??. so if i'm growing the lenten rose strain, will it bloom right through the snow. i mean, 2 winters ago, there was 4 feet of snow on the ground until april. but this past winter, there was very little snow. anybody have any helpful info???? thanks, mara

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: growing hellepbores in maine

Hi Mara,

There are many hellebores, the common names Lenten Rose and Christmas rose refer to Helleborus x hybridus and Helleborus niger respectively. They often bloom simultaneously, it just depends on the plant. An interesting old thread here related to your topic can be found below. The plants will bloom when they are ready (in the wild at high altitudes this means after the snow finally melts). Blooming can commence December to March in a 'typical' garden or in April or May or June in harsher winter climates. Also, most will not bloom until they are three years old in average conditions. If yours are young plants, they may not have been old enough to bloom last spring. I would plant them where they get plenty of sun during spring summer, and autumn in your garden. More sun = more blooms. Winter sun isn't very important, so even a north facing slope would be ok too.

Joseph

Here is a link that might be useful: hellebores in USDA zone 4

o
RE: growing hellepbores in maine

Thanks Joseph - that's exactly the info i was looking for. much appreciation, mara

o
hellebores

Oh, you're THAT Joseph!! Very nice website, i happened across it the other day.
Thanks again

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hellebore Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here