Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dansgrdn

Link to my waterfall project

dansgrdn
16 years ago

Hi all, I promised to share pictures of my waterfall makeover when I did it. I posted pictures in the conifer gallery and rather than do it twice I'll post a link. I had last week off and spent the first three and a half days working on the waterfall. So far no leaks, and I haven't had to add any water to compensate for evaporation. Hope you like the results, sorry no hostas in this garden so far. Dan

Here is a link that might be useful: before and after waterfall makeover

Comments (7)

• bluepoppy
    16 years ago

Fantastic! Looks peaceful and very natural.

I dont know where you got your big rocks - but omg no wonder you are sore!

• goldedger
    16 years ago

Wow Dan - Superb, absolutely!! My body hurts from just the thought of moving all those rocks into position....OUCH

The conifers are gorgeous but yep - you need some hostas in there....actually it looks picture perfect.

Thanks for sharing.

June

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Connie, hostared,June and bluepoppy, Thanks for the positive responses. I really appreciate it. I went hosta shopping today. I've been waiting for this huge 'Sagae' to go on sale for 50% off at a local nursery. I must have just missed it,they were on sale for 50% off, but someone else snatched it up. Darn. Guess I'll just have to plant a smaller one and be patient. Thanks again, Dan.

• koidom
    16 years ago

Gorgeous!!! did you start all over? or just move all the old rock you had?

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Koidom, all the rocks were moved and reused except the biggest one, just to the right of the lowest tier of the waterfall. It weighs almost 500lbs., so I left it where it was. I also added an additional ton of rock, and some additional gravel. Thanks, Dan

• playinmud
    16 years ago

That is terrific Dan! You really did a great job, wish you could add the sound of the running water to your thread. I can imagine some hostas planted along the edge ;o). And I love your conifer collection. I hope you'll post a pic of the other side once you've got it terraced off and planted.

How did you get into conifers? I'd like a suggestion of a small one 2 feet high x 2 feet wide) that never needs pruning and doesn't need full sun all the time. Any thoughts?

Donna

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Playinmud, thanks for the positive comments. I got started collecting conifers in preparation for landscaping around my original waterfall. I collected conifers for a year to landscape around it and never stopped. It's kind of like how I got started collecting hostas. I started a landscape project on the north side of my house, my neighbor gave me three mature 'Patriot' hostas, and three became 90 as soon as the collecting "bug" hit. As far as recommending a conifer for shade that gets 2'x2' that's kind of a tough call. First of all most conifers don't do particularly well in shade, secondly no conifer stops growing at a predetermined height and width, they continue to grow. Most HxW sizes listed for conifers are their size at ten years. Also not knowing where you are in Zone 6 also makes it difficult. My first impulse on recommending a conifer for your approximate requirements is Tsuga canadensis 'Jeddeloh',which is the green conifer in the center of my last photo of my linked post, though wooly agelid may be a potential problem depending on your area. Thanks again for the response, Dan