Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ludiciousacres

Where in the World is . . . Julie Morss ?

Ludicious Acres
11 years ago

McTavish's phenomenal job of presenting her hostas photographically has sent my wishlist spinning with Julie Morss.

I first saw her picture{{gwi:807}} back in the 2010 alphabet (could have been 2011) and was instantly hit with the 'I have to have that one' syndrome.

But my goodness that hosta has been hard to locate. I have only been able to find one online{{gwi:807}} vendor

Mountain Mist Nursery in NC

that offers it. The nursery specializes in Azaleas but has a small offering of various hostas as well.

I checked Watchdog and there are limited reviews, all of which were good but the buyers all purchased Azaleas.

I know I am reaching here, but any chance someone out there has done business with them before ?

Thanks in advance,

Ludi

Edited: to add link to old forum post where McTavish shows the seasonal change of Julie Morss. Thank you McTavish :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta Alphabet 2011 - J

This post was edited by Ludisia on Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 18:42

Comments (10)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

you do understand that it turns all green.. rather fast ...

that pic is sublime.. but its performance in the garden.. left me wanting other things ...

wonder if mine survives????

ken

• Ludicious Acres
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hahaaaa . . . indeed Ken :)

Remember who we're talking about here . . . this is Ludi . . . the King of Critical.

I first saw McTavish's picture back in 2012 while I was snooping old posts and did my research. I have been thinking about this hosta for some time now, and by the sheer fact that I can't get it out of my head or off my list means I need to try it out in my garden. I have plans to put it next to Winter Snow and Bumblebee.

I have a thing for Viridescent hostas. I ordered Dark Shadows this year, have plans for Warpaint, and hopefully soon Julie Morss.

I'm still on the fence with Fortunei Albopicta. And another I have been trying to locate is ventricosa Aureomaculata. I may have secured a vendor for that one but I won't know until the spring.

Ludi

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

JM is REAL old ....

which means it might be in gardens .. but not on inventory lists. ...

try contacting some of the 'garden' sellers .. rather than the foo foo sellers.. that only deal in the newest and the best ....

email jims.. or land of the giants.. etc.. the ones who actually dig them out of mother earth ...

ken

• Ludicious Acres
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sweet !!! Thanks Ken ... Jim has it listed right there on his site.

Google failed me . . . never pulling up his site when I searched.

Now to find my Ventricosa :) Might have to send emails out for that one.

• Ludicious Acres
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ohhh what a day !!! Both Julie and Ventricosa are listed on Jim's site.

Good call Ken !!!

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

As you can see, Ludi, Jim's has LOTS that others don't have, gotta love that place...Happy shopping

Don B.

• hostafreak
    11 years ago

Julie Morss is alive and well in my garden! This pic is from a few years ago,but she is still there,as of last year. Phil

{{gwi:938335}}

• mctavish6
    11 years ago

A little more on Julie Morss. On the J thread from 2011 you will see further down the page the Julie Morss grown by my sister in Washington in little direct sun. This situation must be just about perfect for this plant. I'm now questioning weather there is a difference between this plant (from Naylor) and any other Julie Morss. I have both a piece of this one and one bought at a local nursery. The one from the local nursery is in less sun and seems to hold the varigation longer. How about it Phil, your plants are usually in fairly heavy shade. Does your plant hold the varigation? I know with my Whirlwind that is suppose to turn green doesn't. I have it in a little morning sun and it holds the varigation all year.

• User
    11 years ago

Ludi, got my HOSTA FINDER a couple of days ago, and it has Julie Morss available from several places, most expensive price is $10.

As for photos in the cats, Wade Gatton shows no images for anything, but lots of information in the PDF file of their catalog. Price from them is $8, and they'd dig it from their gardens.They also have all the ventricosa. Not familiar with the other nurseries, except for Jims.

Get yourself a copy of the HOSTA FINDER. I browsed mine from A-S last night until I fell asleep, pencil in hand. :)
    I do not mind viridescent hosta either.

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

Myrle,no my Julie Morss turns all green later on,and stays that way the rest of the year. Mine is in an open area of the garden,so not heavy shade. The Irises around it are dwarf Irises which keep expanding their area every year,and flower profusely each spring. It's hard to believe how small the original plant was. Phil