Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roxanna_gw

recommend or not?

roxanna
10 years ago

I am wondering if anyone here has info (pro or con) about Country Boy Gardens as a source for hosta. I did check that online site-which-must-not-be-named which had good reviews, but in the "you get what you pay for" department, I wondered if their much lower prices are worth my making an order. Or would I be sorry?

Comments (6)

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Hi Roxanna,

I've not ordered from them personally, but there was a recent thread about them on this forum...I'll attach the link.

Cheers,
    Don B.

Here is a link that might be useful: Who's Peddling Hostas in 2014?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

a lesson i learned long ago.. with long lived perennials.. is that you get what you pay for ...

shopping on price alone.. can get you a lot of names ... but it might be a decade before you get the plant you want.. maturity-wise ...

that was fine.. when i was name collecting ...

but now.. if i were to buy a hosta... i would want a little more instant gratification ... perhaps cutting the wait down to 3 years.. for the full impact of the plant ...

if that involved a few dollars more.. why wait???

and i think that is really the difference between what we call our FAVORED vendors... and those that sell very young.. very small TC plants ... the bang for the buck.. as one might say ...

the favored vendors.. grow on the small plant for 2 or 3 years ... growing a huge root mass.. so that i dont have to spend that 2 or 3 years.. in my garden ...

that, and very small plants... dont take to winter as well ... they tend to pop out of my MI soil due to winter heave.. and i lose a lot .. so.. i end up buying the same one.. a couple times ... which kinda defeats the bargain in the first place ...

after all that.. we would be concerned with sending the right plant for the name.. and dealing with peeps who know about virus.. and sell accordingly ...

so.. its up to you ... as to how to spend your money ... do let us know.. how it all works out ...

i used to say... i had more time than money .... so i went for volume .... name collecting ... now i just dont have the money... lol ... [darn kids insist on being fed 3x per day ... class rings.. driving lessons... clothes ... technology ... blah.. blah.. blah ... lol]

ken

ps: if we get a third request on this place.. in the next few weeks.. i am going to start smelling spam ...

• unbiddenn
    10 years ago

I've purchased from Country Boy in the past, and other tissue culture hosta selling sites. I admit it. Someone without a lot of money can have many different plants and save by putting in the years, in theory. What I can remember the location of, what actually sent up leaves, what i don't step on has managed to survive. I am disgustingly proud of my pineapple Upsidown cake, which 2013 looked like a 4" pot size plant after 4years. I wouldn't buy plants this way again.

• roxanna
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks for the replies and link. I guess I will buy elsewhere -- at my age, I would definitely rather have larger plants even if it would mean spending more!

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Roxanna,

What part of Mass are you from. If you're near NH, I can recommend Mason Hollow Hostas, or New Hampshire Hostas. If you are South of that try Cochato Nursery in Holbrook.

Steve

• roxanna
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks, Steve, for the recommendations! I'm southwest of Worcester, so am more likely to order online than go for a visit, but anything is possible. =)