Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Freeze Damage or Not ?

Posted by Charlie44 none (My Page) on
Sat, May 19, 12 at 12:58

I just received these plants in the mail recently and I thought that they had freeze damage which is not an issue to me but someone mentioned that one looked like it might be diseased. Now I would like someone to confirm that this is indeed freeze damage and not diseased plants. Thanks for the help.

here's one
Photobucket
and here's another
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Freeze Damage or Not ?

shipping stress ...

ever hear of the tape method??

ken

o

I agree with Ken! I don't see anything that would make me think HVX, if that's what has you worried. I have a LOT of freeze damage, especially on the thinner leaved varieties like Frozen Margarita and Fragrant Bouquet, and yours don't look anything near as bad.

o

Sorry to alarm you unnecessarily, Charlie...it was me that mentioned about it possibly being diseased. I never had any that leafed out like that; it looked so different from your other hostas, and we are all sort of on the alert for signs of virus these days.

o

Donna, no need to apologize. I'm relatively new to the Hosta world and any advice,help or tips I get are greatly appreciated. Ken I can't say that I have heard of the tape method.Again thanks for the help.

Charlie

o

Charlie,

Ken is referring to a method of holding the leaves in an upright position. It's explained in ken's post about moving fully leafed out hosta.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hosta/msg0614155422721.html

bkay

o

Charlie, we should mark pages for you, I guess. So you can skip right to the good stuff.

Look for the part which looks like he's making a pony tail with masking tape--on the petioles below the leaves. It really helps keep the plant from wimping out. Collapsing. Falling flat on the pot rim. From which it has a more difficult time recovering.

I personally recommend the low tack masking tape, easier for me to remove, although you can use scissors (carefully) when the time comes to remove it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here