Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dansgrdn

Favorite large-leaf hosta?

dansgrdn
15 years ago

'Lady Isobel Barnett' is my largest-leafed hosta so far. It looked pretty good to me this evening in the late-day sun, so I snapped a pic. I love the ones with large leaves. I got this hosta on the recommendation of a nursery owner. I wasn't sure about it at first, but now it's a favorite. Makes me feel like I'm missing out on some other monsters, that I've overlooked so far ;-). Anybody want to share names or their favorite big-leafed hostas, or even better, pics?

Thanks, Dan

Comments (20)

• exoticplantguy
    15 years ago

beautiful cup/brim on them!

i am VERY NEW to hostas. i just started landscaping my yard (on a tight college grad student budget!!) forgive me if these are just medium rather than large, i am not sure.. but this week i am putting in a single "Hosta PILGRIM" plant and a few "GOLD STANDARD".

here are representative pics from yahoo, not my garden

PILGRIM:
    {{gwi:1015379}}

GOLD STANDARD:

it's a corner property and it feels like its going to take yearz to get enough hosta of the same kinds to create a edging along the perimeter of all lawn-bed borders.--- already can hardly wait to divide eyes next spring! =L

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

use the search for something along the lines of

TODAYS GIANTS

MORE GIANTS ....

etc .... let me know if you can NOT find them .... and i will find them for you .. and reply to each.. to bring them back to the top .... please ...

now where is that chicken post... later. ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: first one is on me .. reply please

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: more giants

• hosta_freak
    15 years ago

Although I have Sum and Substance,and Sum of All,my favorite,this year is Parhelion,which,this year,is my largest of the 3. Phil
    {{gwi:933699}}

• waynet
    15 years ago

Sagae is now over 5 ft across and close to 3 ft high. She towers over six+ yr old Blue Mammoth, Gold Standard, Zounds and Guacamole.

Note the meter stick (!39") and a nice Ventricosa for scale.

BY THE WAY ??? How do you pronounce SAGAE ??? I've recently heard it pronounced like "sah-gay", "sah-guy", "sah-gee", and "sah-gah-ee" ??? Wayne

• maidofshade
    15 years ago

Phil, how old is your Sagae?

• lindac
    15 years ago

Too lazy to go "squish squish" out to take pictures this morning....
    But I read some place that it's "suh-gay-uh"...so that's what I say.
    Linda C

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    15 years ago

Oh my goodness! What stunning pictures from all. Wayne, your gardens look absolutely beautiful. My first Sagae failed, but I must now go out and get another.

By the way, I pronounce it "say-guy". But someone has been correcting my Latin lately, so maybe I'm wrong.

Steve

• icyveins
    15 years ago

Thank you Wayne!! My significant other and I have been talking quite a bit about Sagae lately and in every conversation we pronounce it about four different ways and then say "or whatever the heck it's called".

It makes for a long and convoluted conversation.

In any case, I've got to get one. I'll have to make a trip to Indy to do it though... as both of my local nurseries that sell a variety of hosta are HVX central.

• loisflan
    15 years ago

I heard it from a well-respected source... No accent and "sah-gah-eh." This is supposedly the way it would be pronounced in its native tongue which was Japanese, I believe. Just checked the Hosta Library which says "suh-ga-eh" and confirmed its Japanese origin.

• hosta_freak
    15 years ago

Maidofshade,I think you mean Wayne,in reference to the Sagae,but mine is 4 years old and a bit smaller,due to last year's freeze. I always pronounce it Sa-ga-eh. It sounds more Japanese. Phil

• waynet
    15 years ago

Maidofshade ... that Sagae was half of a plant that I had had for four years that I moved from Burlington to Ancaster in the fall of 2004.

Phil and Lois, Thank you for the pronunciation guide. I think you guys are both saying the same and it sounds right to me. Three syllables is the key right? Now I just have to get me and the little lady to get it imprinted on our brains.

Very nice Parhelion Phil. I would like to have one of those. Wayne

• maidofshade
    15 years ago

oops :) thanks!!

• botanybabe
    15 years ago

My favorite is Eola Sapphire. I don't have a photo and the one at Hosta Library that shows what it really looks like when grown in the shade is the top one. In the sun it loses it's deep blue/green color and it's glossy substance. But grown in the shade, it's a real beauty and it gets huge.

Last year either Ken or Phil posted a gorgeous photo of his. Fellas, got Eola?

I also love Mississippi Delta with it's big flat disk shaped leaves. Mine is young and only has three leaves, but mature ones are to die for.

Lainey

Here is a link that might be useful: Eola Sapphire top photo

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Phil, I really like your 'Parhelion'. Thanks for sharing your favorite.
    Ken thanks for the link, I responded on the other thread.
    Wayne, your Hosta garden totally blows me away! Thanks for sharing the photos. Looks like I've got a long way to go. Your 'Sagae' is an absolute stunner! It's definately the focal point of your amazing garden. I can see why it's your favorite. How many years does it take before the leaves start to take on the characteristic appearance of a mature 'Sagae' like yours? Thanks again for the responses, Dan

• lisasmall
    15 years ago

You have a full moon maple and I don't!!!

:: slinks off to pout ::

• playinmud
    15 years ago

Dan, love your LIB. My biggest leaves are on Victory, but its still only a one eyed plant! This thing is going to be a monster when it finally takes off. I have to say that Abba Dabba Do is a great one too, as well as Northern Mist (which is only a "big baby" at this point):

Donna

PS: And I love the Aureum maple too, Lisa you ought to go and get one, you'll love it!!

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lainey and Donna, thanks for the recommendations. I'm going to keep my eyes open for both 'Eola Sapphire' and 'Northern Mist'. I really like them both. Lisa, I agree with Donna, you should get an Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum'. I've seen them quite a few places mail-order for a reasonable price and they're even showing up in local nurseries around me for a decent price. (Check out places that sell plants from Bizon Nursery) Don't pout, go for it! : ) Thanks, Dan

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

P.S., Meant to include this link for Lisa.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eastfork Nursery

• botanybabe
    15 years ago

Yikes! Talk about a large leaf hosta! Check out Tatting Fern at the Hosta Library! Does anyone have it?

Lainey

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta Library