Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wendys_garden

Hostaholics from Wisconsin?

Wendys_garden
13 years ago

I was just reading the posting on Clouds, and noticed several Wisconsinites responding.

Got me wondering how many Hosta lovers from Wisconsin we have on here. Let's hear from you!

Even the ones who are readers and not posters :)

I'm Wendy and I'm from Greenfield (suburb of Milwaukee).

Comments (34)

• idighosta
    13 years ago

I'm Deb and I'm from Wausau

• tamy
    13 years ago

hi,
    im glad you posted this question because im curious too.
    i am in brookfield wi.
    tamy

• pkton
    13 years ago

I'm Paula and I am in Janesville (where we finally got some rain but not nearly enough!)

• newhostaaddict
    13 years ago

i'm jill,,,and i'm a hostaholic

in Forest Junction, 1/2 south of Green Bay

if you blink you will miss me

• davej_07
    13 years ago

Dave here, Hostaholic from Oak Creek, Wi.

• hostagod
    13 years ago

I'm Mark from Fond du Lac. 1,000-plus varieties and growing but I don't have a problem.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

I was born in Marinette. Does that count????

• Wendys_garden
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cyn, sure we'll count you!

Davej_07 -- you anywhere near Casita Azul in Oak Creek?

Wendy

• candicenovitzke
    13 years ago

Candice, here in Eau Claire, with about 130 varieties.

There's another recent thread with ideas for places to shop in Wisconsin, detailing Witt's Hostas in Eau Claire and Halfen Gardens in Chippewa Falls. There's also The Flower Farm near Madison.

• aka_margo
    13 years ago

Jen from Appleton

• jamiedolan
    13 years ago

Hi Jen, Jamie from Neenah.

• thisismelissa
    13 years ago

I'm not from Wisconsin, but you all should check out Rick Rock's nursery operation (home based) in Baldwin! His plants are premo... he doesn't like to sell anything he hasn't grown for 3 years.

Baldwin is about 30-45 minutes or so from St. Paul. Easy drive.
    Rick is a board member, so he keeps his finger on the pulse of what's hot. I got Goodness Gracious, Devil's Advocate, Americana and Devon Green from him. I'll post pics of the amazing root system on DA soon.

Give Rick a call/email:
    Richard Rock
    1054 240th St
    Baldwin WI 54002
    Phone Number: (715) 441-2627 (H) (715) 441-2627 (cell)
    Email: rocklandscaping@baldwin-telecom.net

Here is a link that might be useful: Rick's Display Garden Thread (a la Paul)

• betty52
    13 years ago

Betty from Barnes, located 25 miles north of Hayward!!!

• vicky_sheboygan
    13 years ago

Hi I'm Vicky - from Sheboygan -- I live just a couple blocks from Lake Michigan.

A nearby source to find hostas (within 20 miles or so) is at Pondside Gardens east of Kiel, near Cedar Lake. A retired couple owns this place.

• davej_07
    13 years ago

Wendy- Im not too far from there, although Ive never been there. I do my hosta shopping In Delefield:)
    Dave

• jamiedolan
    13 years ago

Hi Vicky,
    I recently heard of the place in Kiel. What are their plants like? Container grown?

Jamie

• aka_margo
    13 years ago

Pondside has a lot of plants that are TC's, but he field grows them. He has been collecting for a long time, so he also has plants for sale that you can't easily find elsewhere. He has a beautiful setting for his plants.
    Jen

• jamiedolan
    13 years ago

Do you know if he has a web site?

Thanks
    Jamie

• melrose
    13 years ago

I'm Jackie from Madison and it's raining here -- yipee.

• muktowngal
    13 years ago

Hi, I am Kathy from Mukwonago. I have purchased some hosta from Al's at his hostafest. Where do you purchase hosta in Delafield?
    Time to turn the rain off. Our 100 year rain ditch, normally a dry lawn area has become a fast moving creek our back yard which has lost several trees the past couple of years has a couple of inches of water. I never appreciated how much rainfall the leaves of the trees kept from the ground. Grateful the power is back on.
    Nice to meet all of you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Al's Autobody and Arboretum

• vicky_sheboygan
    13 years ago

Jamie -- regarding Pondside Gardens:

This is the address:

14028 Louis Corners Rd Kiel, Wisconsin 53042
    I don't think they have a website.

Like mentioned above, their hostas are field grown, but they dig a few of each up and are in containers for sale. They are very aware of virus issues. I bought plants there last year and this year -- all very healthy. They put all potted plants back in the ground in September.

The couple will walk the grounds with you and are quite knowledgeable. Across the road is a beautiful pond with gardens -- they host small weddings sometimes, you can feed the fish in the pond. It is a lovely place.

• hostamo
    13 years ago

Jim from LaCrosse. 50 new hostas in the last 2 years. Does that make me an addict?

• jamiedolan
    13 years ago

Thanks Vicky, I will have to check them out.
    Jamie

• domino123
    13 years ago

Domino - Milwaukee / tosa

• janetpetiole
    13 years ago

Hey Jamie, I can relate to your river. Mine empties through my garage and basement. I'm in Appleton. More heavy rain in the forecast,

• janetpetiole
    13 years ago

Oops, wrong thread.

I'm not a hostaholic, but I am from Wisconsin. I was teetering on the fence of hostaholicism, but a different species trumped the hosta. I lurk here and rarely post.

• davej_07
    13 years ago

A private seller in Delafield, Ken Ziarek. IF you want, email me off list and I'll give you his phone number. He sells by appointment but I guarantee you wont be disappointed. Awesome plants and many that you wont find at alot of places. Its always a fun trip:)
    Dave

• cma1973
    12 years ago

Jenny from Burlington. A recent hosta addict lol

• kiendu
    12 years ago

I'm Cindy and from Osseo Wisconsin... 25 miles south of Eau Claire.

• eddie_j
    12 years ago

Ed, from South Milwaukee

• msjo
    12 years ago

Jo from Madison. Now have over 100 different varieties. Have 1.5 acres I would love to till up for more, but my hubby is not convinced.

• dirtpig
    12 years ago

Jean from Superior

• ci_lantro
    12 years ago

Ally from Plover (Stevens Point).

• steelskies
    12 years ago

I think I'm one. But in general, I'm a flower-aholic. I want one of everything. I bought over $350 of hostas at my first hosta sale and my husband was NOT happy. That was years ago, and I've added a lot more since then, but I always try to hit the sales and not pay full price. I'm RESTRAINING myself!

What do you use to identify your plants? I had white stakes but then I mowed over my hostas in fall, and zapped off a lot of the tags! NG!