Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hostaholics from Wisconsin?

Posted by wendys_garden 5b (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 22, 10 at 12:03

I was just reading the posting on Clouds, and noticed several Wisconsinites responding.
Got me wondering how many Hosta lovers from Wisconsin we have on here. Let's hear from you!
Even the ones who are readers and not posters :)

I'm Wendy and I'm from Greenfield (suburb of Milwaukee).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hostaholics from Wisconsin?

I'm Deb and I'm from Wausau

o

• Posted by tamy zn5 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 22, 10 at 13:29

hi,
im glad you posted this question because im curious too.
i am in brookfield wi.
tamy

o

I'm Paula and I am in Janesville (where we finally got some rain but not nearly enough!)

o

i'm jill,,,and i'm a hostaholic

in Forest Junction, 1/2 south of Green Bay

if you blink you will miss me

o

Dave here, Hostaholic from Oak Creek, Wi.

o

I'm Mark from Fond du Lac. 1,000-plus varieties and growing but I don't have a problem.

o

I was born in Marinette. Does that count????

o

Cyn, sure we'll count you!

Davej_07 -- you anywhere near Casita Azul in Oak Creek?

Wendy

o

Candice, here in Eau Claire, with about 130 varieties.

There's another recent thread with ideas for places to shop in Wisconsin, detailing Witt's Hostas in Eau Claire and Halfen Gardens in Chippewa Falls. There's also The Flower Farm near Madison.

o

Jen from Appleton

o

Hi Jen, Jamie from Neenah.

o

I'm not from Wisconsin, but you all should check out Rick Rock's nursery operation (home based) in Baldwin! His plants are premo... he doesn't like to sell anything he hasn't grown for 3 years.

Baldwin is about 30-45 minutes or so from St. Paul. Easy drive.
Rick is a board member, so he keeps his finger on the pulse of what's hot. I got Goodness Gracious, Devil's Advocate, Americana and Devon Green from him. I'll post pics of the amazing root system on DA soon.

Give Rick a call/email:
Richard Rock
1054 240th St
Baldwin WI 54002
Phone Number: (715) 441-2627 (H) (715) 441-2627 (cell)
Email: rocklandscaping@baldwin-telecom.net

Here is a link that might be useful: Rick's Display Garden Thread (a la Paul)

o

Betty from Barnes, located 25 miles north of Hayward!!!

o

Hi I'm Vicky - from Sheboygan -- I live just a couple blocks from Lake Michigan.

A nearby source to find hostas (within 20 miles or so) is at Pondside Gardens east of Kiel, near Cedar Lake. A retired couple owns this place.

o

Wendy- Im not too far from there, although Ive never been there. I do my hosta shopping In Delefield:)
Dave

o

Hi Vicky,
I recently heard of the place in Kiel. What are their plants like? Container grown?

Jamie

o

Pondside has a lot of plants that are TC's, but he field grows them. He has been collecting for a long time, so he also has plants for sale that you can't easily find elsewhere. He has a beautiful setting for his plants.
Jen

o
site - RE: Hostaholics from Wisconsin?

Do you know if he has a web site?

Thanks
Jamie

o

I'm Jackie from Madison and it's raining here -- yipee.

o

Hi, I am Kathy from Mukwonago. I have purchased some hosta from Al's at his hostafest. Where do you purchase hosta in Delafield?
Time to turn the rain off. Our 100 year rain ditch, normally a dry lawn area has become a fast moving creek our back yard which has lost several trees the past couple of years has a couple of inches of water. I never appreciated how much rainfall the leaves of the trees kept from the ground. Grateful the power is back on.
Nice to meet all of you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Al's Autobody and Arboretum

o

Jamie -- regarding Pondside Gardens:

This is the address:

14028 Louis Corners Rd Kiel, Wisconsin 53042
I don't think they have a website.

Like mentioned above, their hostas are field grown, but they dig a few of each up and are in containers for sale. They are very aware of virus issues. I bought plants there last year and this year -- all very healthy. They put all potted plants back in the ground in September.

The couple will walk the grounds with you and are quite knowledgeable. Across the road is a beautiful pond with gardens -- they host small weddings sometimes, you can feed the fish in the pond. It is a lovely place.

o

Jim from LaCrosse. 50 new hostas in the last 2 years. Does that make me an addict?

o

Thanks Vicky, I will have to check them out.
Jamie

o

Domino - Milwaukee / tosa

o

Hey Jamie, I can relate to your river. Mine empties through my garage and basement. I'm in Appleton. More heavy rain in the forecast,

o
--Hostaholics from Wisconsin?

Oops, wrong thread.

I'm not a hostaholic, but I am from Wisconsin. I was teetering on the fence of hostaholicism, but a different species trumped the hosta. I lurk here and rarely post.

o

A private seller in Delafield, Ken Ziarek. IF you want, email me off list and I'll give you his phone number. He sells by appointment but I guarantee you wont be disappointed. Awesome plants and many that you wont find at alot of places. Its always a fun trip:)
Dave

o

Jenny from Burlington. A recent hosta addict lol

o

I'm Cindy and from Osseo Wisconsin... 25 miles south of Eau Claire.

o

Ed, from South Milwaukee

o

• Posted by msjo Z5 MadisonWI (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 26, 11 at 13:29

Jo from Madison. Now have over 100 different varieties. Have 1.5 acres I would love to till up for more, but my hubby is not convinced.

o

Jean from Superior

o

Ally from Plover (Stevens Point).

o

I think I'm one. But in general, I'm a flower-aholic. I want one of everything. I bought over $350 of hostas at my first hosta sale and my husband was NOT happy. That was years ago, and I've added a lot more since then, but I always try to hit the sales and not pay full price. I'm RESTRAINING myself!

What do you use to identify your plants? I had white stakes but then I mowed over my hostas in fall, and zapped off a lot of the tags! NG!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here