Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leaflover76

Rare Breed

leaflover76
11 years ago

I bought Rare Breed last year from my Hosta Society-registered Hosta Dealer and I have yet to find it in the Hosta Library. Why is it not in the Library? AND are there others not in the Library that you have?

{{gwi:1071920}}

{{gwi:1071921}}

(It got stepped on during unfurling so it has a little bit of damage but still looks decent)

Comments (10)

• Ludicious Acres
    11 years ago

Leaflover,

I am quite fond of that Rare Breed of yours. You got a pretty special hosta there IMO. :)

I purchased Regal Supreme this year and was also surprised that it is not listed in the HL.

Mine is still very young. There are a few pictures out there if you google "Hosta Regal Supreme".

I did find a thread on GW of UK_hostaman Regal Supreme. There is a link to the thread below.

Enjoy,

Ludi

Here is a link that might be useful: UK Hostaman Gardens

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

lud

needed some sherlock on this one. ...

the old timer is krossa regal ... regal being the key word ...

so i looked that one up.. then went to the myhosta link .. and lo and behold.. there is was.. on the sport list on the right side ... check out the link ..

now lets see if i can find rare breed.. no hint on that name ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

11 years ago

btw.. leaf.. you send the pic to bob at the library.. and there will be a picture of it.. thats how we all started the library.. we just submitted pix.. and the database grew ...

your pic 'looks' so suggestive of something.. at first i though undulata ... but no luck there..

then i ran thru the various plants.. that start with breeder ... nothing ...

and while typing this.. i am thinking summer music ...

and then i just googled it.. see link.. its from fransen .. a ron livingston plant.. go figure..

send your pic to bob ...

ken

• Ludicious Acres
    11 years ago

Ken thank you for the link :)

I was aware of its parentage per the description from Bridgewood (where I ordered it). The appeal to purchase it came from the fact that I loved the shape of Krossa Regal. Liked the margin on Regal Splendor even more and then saw that this was a new sport with an even wider margin than Regal Splendor and knew then that this was the one for me.

I may have misunderstood Leaflover's assignment. I thought they were looking for pictures on HL not being present for a cultivar . . . thus my submission.

So I guess we are looking for hosta that are not listed in the database regardless of pictures present or not ?

FWIW, the best picture I have seen out of the public domain on google is still UK's. That man grows the most amazing hosta. The stock photos are all very young looking IMO.

I believe UK should submit his pic to Bob . . . mine is still too young.

Ludi :)

Side thought : There is a patent on Regal Supreme . . . could that be why they don't show pics ? I see the patent mentioned in your link Ken . . . but no pictures . . . hmmmm

• sshoop1zone4a
    11 years ago

Leaflover,
    On the Naylor website they state that Rare Breed was originally registered as Tall Paul due to it's tall flower scapes. If you look there is an entry for Tall Paul on the Hosta Library, I guess they just haven't gotten around to switching the name to Rare Breed for some reason. Hope this helps.
    Samantha

• uk-hostaman
    11 years ago

I have had my 'Regal Supreme' for 3 years now and from my experience it is a slow grower and does not show the tall up-right growth of its sport 'Regal Splendor'(or the vigor)....the edges also had burned with me in morning sun,but this year in full shade it is looking much better...i am going to re-pot it this year...the jury is still out for me

• uk-hostaman
    11 years ago

Here's a picture...

Regal Supreme

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

Not in the library - 'Mid Life Crisis - Tummy Tuck', a sport of Orange Marmalade, purchased from Hosta Choice Nursery in Appin Ontario in spring 2011. A real bright spot in my garden and not orange now in August (the photo is in June) but still stands out from a distance.
    Jan

11 years ago

ron is a seedy fellow.. see link.. ken

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

Ludi - thanks for the link to UK hostaman's garden. I hadn't discovered this forum back then - his hostas are just spectacular. The secret is climate, climate, climate. Right?
    Jan

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional