Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josephines67

Winner of 2014 Top Gun hosta....

This one needed top billing, so I provide the background in the link below.

This year's Top Gun was a TIE!

I know...I asked you to choose only one....then changed my mind...then changed my mind again when it came time to make a decision.

It was just too tough! I really wanted ALL the ones I didn't have and listed! As a matter of fact, this thread became a want list of its own, wouldn't you know!

Here are the winners.

Jo

Here is a link that might be useful: 2014 Top Gun hosta thread in entirety

Comments (5)

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

Jo,
    Thanks, what an honor! I actually did not read that this was a contest. That means now that you will buy yourself both of these cultivars. Ha, so that was the reason you have two winners this year, smart idea. I got mine from Land of the Giants.
    Happy belated Thanksgiving!
    Bernd

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the belated Happy Thanksgiving!!! YES, there was bacon to be had in the stuffing and it was such a great gathering, as usual, and as terrific as yours, I imagine.

Ha! Lol...yes, I get to buy TWO! Congratulations on having yours picked out! That is doubly sweet since you didn't catch it was a contest! Can't wait to post pictures when I get them. We can compare notes as they grow.

Jo

P.S. The nicest thing about these hosta winners is that I get to associate them with you. Goodness Gracious is now Bernd's GG!

My "personal" list is getting longer, I am happy to say...for example....
    BK's ... So Sweet
    Don B's ... Guacamole aka Guacamole Don
    Don B's ... Cathedral Windows
    Paula's ... On Stage
    Ruth's ... Twilight
    Cindy's ... Silver Star
    Linda's ... Guardian Angel
    Linda's ... Francee
    Coll's ... Remember Me.... ... there are a couple more but I have to check who recommended them first.
    Coll's ... Queen Of The Seas

MOCC ... will head the next list in Spring for Squash Casserole as she follows Bernd's ... Goodness Gracious and Peren.all's (wish I knew your first name) ... Winter Snow.

It is lovely to have so many new "friends" in the garden! ðÂÂÂ

Jo

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    9 years ago

Jo It really is an honor for all of these great hostas. So happy that these two will be gracing your garden (and probably all the others on your want list) lol!
    I think it is wonderful that these beauties get showcased.
    Thank you! And since you asked.....

Laurie

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How lovely! Now I will have a Laurie's Winter Snow! Thank you, Laurie!

You know, with such a small property, I really realized last year that the time has come to slow down with the accumulation... that somehow has taken off at a gallop.

In 2013 I said I would make an effort not to get as many in 2014. Ahem....I gathered 32-35 new ones in 2013 and ... Another ahem... gathered 45 new ones during 2014, but at least half a dozen or so were replacements of ones lost in the spring. Lol

I will ease in with Winter Snow and Goodness Gracious in 2015 and because I could not get my Squash Casserole order filled this year, it will accompany WS and GG home.

I also purged my want list a month ago because it was two pages long, imagine that? That is one way to "curb my enthusiasm" I guess. I know I will likely grow another list, but my effort will be directed at growing my existing hostas well. This year I really kept on top of the slug repellant and I was rewarded with beautiful, pristine leaved hostas.

I have the forum to thank for my stepping up a bit. I figured if I am going to do my share of enabling, I had better make sure I present a darn good-looking hosta with which to enable, right?

Peren.all, you have the distinction of being a newbie who "enabled" AND won a contest to boot! I'm sure it's not the first time and surely won't be the last....your pictures speak for themselves.

Jo

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    9 years ago

Jo -(" I also purged my want list a month ago because it was two pages long, imagine that? ")
    LOL! Yes I can. This is a true addiction. I have almost eliminated all back lawn, with one section left that is already planned out in my mind.
    In the short time that I have been on this forum I have admired your beautiful pics, we all know you grow them really well already.
    Here's to all enablers!

josephines167 z5 ON Canada thanked peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada