Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alavoneluvhoya

Help me get my hoyas to bloom!

alavoneluvhoya
11 years ago

I have several hoyas in my home and the only one to bloom for me is hoya lacunosa. I have kirinkle 8, Ds 70, rope, krimson queen, Carnosa a few of those, Wayetii, breviatia, Snow Caps...I am sure I am missing a few.....Some are outdoors for spring & Summer and the rest in a south window and west window. Good growth on all of them. Watering now in late spring every 10 days and misting every other day but not heavily. Using a bloom booster feed every other watering. all pretty pot bound. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

Comments (9)

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

How long have you had them?

Guide to posting pictures

• alavoneluvhoya
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have had the majority of them 3 years going on 4 now. they all are well established in 6" pots. I have only re-potted my 2 Wayetti's well changed the medium and back in their original pots.

• User
    11 years ago

Who knows, there isn't necessarily anything you can do, it MAY be a function of age.

I've grown Hoyas for about 10 yrs. now & they rarely bloom for me, usually just new cuttings bloom, rarely anything I've grown on, could be their age, perhaps not enough light.

That's why some of us say we grow Hoyas for beautiful leaves, just in case they don't bloom, we still love them.

Hoping I'm wrong about this & folks come along behind me & comment further.

• alavoneluvhoya
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I def. grow them for their leaves! Each hoya has character! I just would like to see them in bloom. I have propagated several and never had a cutting bloom either.

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

Many Hoyas do take a few years to become large enough to bloom. It looks like your plants are Exotic Angle or another similar nursery, even though they look fairly large they are actually more likely to be many smaller cuttings.

I would reccomend using more than just a bloom booster type fertilizer. Try a fertilizer with a balanced set of nubers or a hogh Nitrogen which is the first number. Give the fertilizers often but not full stregnth, rotate the fertilizers with the bloom booster only used occasionally.

I would say that the most likely reason for a Hoya not to bloom is being grown in too little light. Many Hoyas do best close to a South window but if you can give them morning or afternoon sun while keeping them close to the glass they will be happy as well. If you have a spot outside try hanging them in a tree where they get dappled light.

Mike

• alavoneluvhoya
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks mike. I do have some outside hanging from my trees lol they make a great outdoor decor! The ones outside have not bloomed as well. How many years do you think will it take for my pots of cuttings to mature? some iv had for almost 4 years. should I provide more humidity? I am in Texas and am fearful to move all outside due to the fact that the wild cactus's around town all have mealy bugs.......and I have already beaten an infestation.

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

Four years seems like long enough to bloom most Hoyas from the cutting stage. Have you been trimming the plants at all?

Mike

• alavoneluvhoya
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have taken cuttings to propagate off of a few of them but only like 3 cutting from each and all from leafy stems....i can only get lacunosa to bloom for me. should I feed everytime I water? I am doing once a month. Change the meduim they are in? I use vermiculite, perlite, and cactus soil.

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

If the potting mix you are using is working then don't change it. Many people use a mix that includes bark or coconut husk chips, soil, and perlite. Your mix may be a bit heavy if there is sand but the vermiculite would help balance it out.
    Do you find the plants grow well or do they tend to sit there and do nothing? You might have to evaluate your watering habits for some, some species like to be moist to perform their best. Fertilizing is best done each week but use half strength fertilizer solutions.
    If the leaves of your plants are dark green then bump up the light a touch. You want medium to light green depending on the species as some respond differently.
    I would stop cutting because each time you do you may be stopping bloom peduncles from forming. Concentrate on growth and with it will come blooms. Some species bloom in accordance to environmental conditions do a drop in temperatures at night is recommended. Some species will only bloom during cooler months others only after a dryer winter etc. Its good to find out as much as you can about each one you have and then try to treat them accordingly.

Mike

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida