Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
banannas

rooting cuttings 101

banannas
12 years ago

To all the pros out there,

I want to expand on my hoya collection and from what I gather the easiest way is through buying and trading cuttings. I have never really had much success rooting cuttings of other plants, except succulents and literally I just dipped them in rooting hormones and dropped them into a pot with a cactus mix.

What have you done to successfully root hoya cuttings?

Thanks!

Comments (15)

• binlin
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Many of us here use a humidity chamber of some sort to keep the ambient humidity around the cuttings as close to 100% as possible. There are dozens of ways to do this, but the simplest is to bag the potted cuttings up in a clear plastic bag.
    Here's a picture I took of the last shipment of cuttings I received.

The cuttings are in clay pots held over a plastic container filled with about an inch of water. The entire thing is enclosed in a clear plastic garbage bag. The bamboo sticks are there to stop the bag from pressing against the leaves and rotting them. The cuttings rooted after about 2 weeks.

• banannas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks ren!

One more question, did you use any rooting hormones or au naturale?

Oh and another, what kind of light do you give it?

• binlin
    12 years ago

I use rooting hormone for higher value cuttings mostly for the fungicidal component, but I'm sure it helps a bunch with rooting speed as well. I grow my plants under a 4 foot high output T5 light, but for rooting cuttings it's best to avoid intense light like direct sunlight.

The temperature plays an important role during rooting as well. I keep my plants at around 30C during the day and 20C at night.

• pepeuve
    12 years ago

You can see link below: "dos a uno"

rooting hormones

water lentil

Here is a link that might be useful: dos a uno

• banannas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Pepeuve,

I'm not sure what you are talking about when you say that you put one cutting in "water lentil", could you please explain.

Thanks,

Anne

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

I was curious about this, too, since according to Pepeuve's study, the cutting treated with lentil water beat that dipped in rooting hormone 2 to 1.

I too was unfamiliar with the uses of lentil water, but I did some research and apparently water used to rinse lentils (and rice) is good for watering plants because it is rich in nutrients, thus a natural fertilizer.

Apparently this is a somewhat well-known household trick, as it was referenced on several pages I found.

I imagine Pepeuve rooted one of the cuttings right in some lentil water.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lentil Water

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Sorry, I forgot to answer your question.

I tend to root all of my cuttings in aquariums. Denise has a great guide, which I am linking you to below, if you haven't seen it. Now, Denise will tell you that you don't need such a setup this time of year, which is true. And I have heard that in super warm humid places, like Florida, it ends up being too much of a good thing. If you live somewhere warm and humid, you can just stick them in a pot, outside in the shade. I haven't tried this, but I hear it's what all the cool kids are doing.

I always use rooting hormone, but I doubt it's neccessary.

It's usually best for both you and the Hoya to just stick the cutting in the pot you plan on grow it in. Avoid overpotting - a cutting really doesn't need that big of a pot. If the cutting is delicate, try to expose more than one node to the soil. You can do this by lying it flat or looping it around the circumference of the pot. That is what kellyknits had done in this picture and you can see that new growth has come up from multiple nodes:

When you do this it's okay if bits of the vine are below the surface, but you want to keep sections of it aboveground too, so weighing it down with stones or using bobby pins helps.

I've also rooted cuttings in sphagnum baggies and this works really well. You just wrap the end of the stem in damp sphagnum, wrap a bag around it, and secure it and then pot up the plant when you can see roots through the plastic. You can see that I have cuttings both in pots and baggies in the photo below. You don't need as much sphagnum as I'm using there, actually, and you don't want to pot them up with too much sphagnum still around their roots, either. That's the weakness of this method, although the cuttings definitely like it.

When I have a cutting I'm a bit more worried about, I usually root it in hydroton and then pot it up in its final pot after it has rooted. I let it keep the hydroton balls its roots cling to. People are divided about whether growing in hydro is good or not, but rooting in hydro is pretty darn fool-proof. You can use semi-hydro principles to root in perlite, too, if you don't have hydroton on hand. Just put the pot of perlite in a saucer of water. I find that they like it if you let the saucer run dry a couple of days before refilling it, but when I use hydroton I just always keep the reservoir full.

A lot of people report better success when they root Hoyas (and other plants) in groups, for example, you can fill a covered flat with perlite, and stick a bunch of cuttings in there with some bottom heat and they love it. Or you can stick a bunch of cuttings in the same pot to root, and put a bag over it. Remember when you're using the bag method to keep them out of direct sunlight or they will roast and then rot and it will be very sad. This happened to me the first time I used the method where you put the whole pot in a bag, blow in it, and seal it up. I never used that method again, although I'm sure it's sound. But I do love using clear plastic tupperware bins.

My final remarks are that people have varying opinions on whether you should chop up your cutting or not. Some people say you should keep the cutting whole and get as many nodes on the surface as possible. Other people say you should root Hoyas with big thin leaves in cuttings with only 1-2 nodes and other Hoyas perform best in sections of 2-3 nodes. I have done it both ways and I think there's no hard and fast rule b/c Hoyas vary a lot and cuttings vary a lot and you have to use your gut instincts on whether to chop or not. The only reliable thing is that the top of a cutting will frequently lose its leaves (assuming it was the end of a vine), so if you divide your cutting and one half is the top, with some fairly new growth, that cutting will probably turn into a stick. (Might root anyway) On the other hand, it seems like when I leave cuttings really long, I always lose the top node or two. I think the new roots just can't support a vine past a certain size, so if you get a super generous cutting, do cut it up.

That's my two... ten ... one-hundred and nineteen cents.

Here is a link that might be useful: Denise's Aquarium Guide

• pepeuve
    12 years ago

/greedyghost 5

"I imagine Pepeuve rooted one of the cuttings right in some lentil water."

your explanation is correct
    Thanks.

• banannas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for the advice.

I guess I will wait until I get my cuttings to make a decision as to what way to go. I like the idea of putting on my porch in the shade and perhaps putting a humidity tray under it, just to assure it is getting good humidity around it.

I have a mix for my orchids that is sphagnum, hydroton, coir, cork, charcoal and perlite. GG, do you think if I put the cuttings in this mix in small pots with a humidity tray under it on my west facing patio where it is mostly shaded that I would have a good chance of success?

If I do this, do I need to put a bag over it? Or would the humidity from the humidity tray be enough?

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

That sounds good to me. You're in San Diego, right? I wouldn't put a bag on them - the natural humidity should be enough, especially with a tray. You will just need to make sure you stay on top of them with the watering and be really careful about keeping them in shade, even if you have to rig something up. Western light is really harsh and you really want them somewhere with moderate conditions.

They should like your chunky mix and it will be good that you're already familiar with how it handles.

• patrick51
    12 years ago

Wow...I'm glad to see this post...perfect timing!! I received 8 cuttings yesterday from Ted Green..but, he forgot the H. spartiodes, and he shipped it today. Any suggestions on rooting spartiodes would be appreciated. I put H. platycaulis in my new cloning machine, the other seven I potted in a chunky mix and placed them in my sunroom...which is very hot and humid. Not a good time for plastic bags!! Best wishes, bannanas!! Fondly, Patrick

• jakalfoshakal
    12 years ago

well ive been very impressed with putting cuttings in hydroton this year. just as an exasperated last attempt i put a bunch of imperialis, preatorii, magnifica, affinis, and red buttons cuttings in HT this year expecting none of them to root...well now i have starts of small nubby roots on all of them. Just as a heads up i shamelessly ignored them and lots of them dried out (a huge HT no no)but still rooted:)

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

/Patrick No suggestions on rooting it, but congratulations on acquiring such a fascinating Hoya. That's really something special. Good luck with getting it going. ^_^

• banannas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the well wishes Patrick! I am still emotionally gearing up for the idea of the potential of killing these poor things. I have not had good experiences with rooting, well anything, in the past.

• rennfl
    12 years ago

I thought I would post some of the recent cuttings that I have started. They all were started in semi-hydroponics with Hydroton. Then, for some of them, as the roots developed, I poked holes in the bottom of the pots, to get rid of the resevoir. One will stay in semi-hydro to grow.

I've never seen how fast usually roots develop for anyone else, so some feedback would be great.

This first one is multiflora. It took about a month to do anything, but once it started, it's moving pretty fast. This one is going to stay in S/H.

And these ones I've had for 3 weeks maybe? They've all been converted away from semi-hydro. As the roots begin to fill up these cups, I'll just plop them into a bigger one with more Hydroton.

So, is this normal expected root growth? Or should they be further along by now?

I guess I should add, I don't have a humidity chamber, our ambient humidity is pretty high anyways. Also, the "water" I use for them during the semi-hydro stage, is weak orchid fertilizer, about 100 ppm Nitrogen.

Thanks, Renee