Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19735161

H. Australis leaf variability

User
12 years ago

Hi Folks,

I tried to post these pix last night, kept getting error messages.

Here's an Australis off a cutting I got from Cena. I like its burgundy new growth & the bright green leaf tip (far left, tip of burgundy leaf), but it only does that SOME of the time.

Check out the interesting triple scalloped leaf:

Here's another view, these leaves are all on the same cutting, note some roundish leaf tips, some pointed.

Strong, sturdy plant, has yielded a number of cuttings.

Thanks again Cena!!

Comments (5)

• Denise
    12 years ago

Hi again, Karen! I gotta tell you that this looks NOTHING like any australis I've seen. I don't have all the ssp., mind you, so I could be way off base, but at first glance, my head went to meliflua. (A great species to get hold of, BTW!) Are the stems kind of stiff?

Denise in Omaha

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey there Denise,

Am trying to think, let me check about the stems.

In the meantime, nice new growth & the triple scalloped leaf.

Yes, the stems are stiff, tho' so are those of H diversifolia, which I have next to it & whose stems I felt for comparision, but yes, they ARE stiff.

I just looked at another cutting I have of this, but in hydro in another room, again showing both elliptical, pointy ended leaves next to oblong leaves w/ rounded tips (as left in above pic), I'll have to take their pix for comparison.

Does anybody else recall getting some of this from Cena (a few yrs. ago a least)?

Am starting to grow hydro setups of Hoyas of which I've got duplicates, so I've got this in a pair now, growing both ways along w/ H Iris Marie (thanks Kelly, they do well) & the solid green H kerrii, along w/ a Dischidia I probably shared w/ you which I believe you had IDed corrected as a Dichidia (was given me tagged incorrectly as H longigfolia, remember)?

Maybe sometime, I should post these pairs of experiments, hum...

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

I can see the resemblence to Hoya meliflua but Hoya meliflua has not visible veins on it's leaves so that species is out ID wise. Cena did have a massive Hoya australis climbing a tree that she hacked up into tons of cuttings so it is very likely that was the source of this plant.

Mike

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Well, this really can't be used as support evidence for any ID, and thus it is no useful addition to this conversation.

However, PG's baby leaves look just like inger's baby leaves, and that one was an australis too.

They're all so cute with those little nubbins.

There really are a wide range of australises. Maybe you should tell it to hurry up and bloom for us, PG!

Here is a link that might be useful: Baby leaf!

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

I can see where wrong names are used frequently to just call a plant a plant and just adding more confusion to people's minds of calling a plant with any name just for the sake of giving it a name.

This is not even in the section of hoya australis.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus