mitzicos
12 years ago

Who I'm???

Thanks a lot

Mitzi

Comments (26)

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Looks like you have a variegated Hoya obovata, can't tell what that small leafed species is, and another Hoya obovata in the last few photos.

Mike

• banannas
    12 years ago

Ha ha!!! I am still so new to hoyas that I dare not id anybody's plants. That said I do like to look at the ID posts to see if I even have the foggiest of idea of what kind of hoya the person has. I am usually wrong once I see what experts like you Mike and others figure the plant to be. However, this time I was right!!!! Slowly but surely, I think I'll get there.

Anne

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mike,

Thank you, the others are very stressed so it will take a time till I can post good pictures to identify them. The other (which the picture is very bad)I think is nummularoids, but I'm not sure.

Mitzi from Brazil

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi all,

Does any one knows who those hoyas are:

Thank you very much!

Mitzi

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

The first one looks like Hoya obscura to me but not sure about the last one. It's difficult to even try to identify dehydrated cuttings because the leaf venation is different due to lack of cell hydration.
    When the cuttings are looking nice and plump again maybe then we can try for an ID. When we see blooms we will know for sure so we can double check you plants for you then as any identification made now is just an educated guess.

Mike

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Mike.

The reason I didn't post the pictures before is due to the dehydration level of the plants that did not show exactly how the leaves should be, but here is the list of the cuttings I received:

H.onychoide
    H.imperialis var rauschii
    H. crassicaulis
    H.mathilde
    H.obovata picta
    H.obovata 'Silver Spot'
    H.nummularoiedes:
    H.cv. obscura 'Sunrise'
    H.obscura major
    H.affinis
    H.naumani
    H.javanica
    H.pubicalxy Pink Silver
    H.pubicalxy Royal Hawiian Purple

I identified some, others lost theirs leaves so it is impossible to identify and others with leaves are very dehydrated.

The only cuts that arrived perfectly well was those sent in vials!

I thought the first one was obscura also, but Janet said yesterday she didn't send the obscura.... so I'm more than lost.

Actually I did not identify crassicaulis, affinis and naumani.

Mitzi

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

The one you have in the list as Hoya obscura 'Sunrise' should either be Hoya obscura if it's the species or Hoya Sunrise if it's the hybrid but it can't be both.
    The others look like they should be easy enough to ID a they are fairly distinctive plants. As long as you keep that list of plants we can always match the names later.

Mike

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Mike,

Thank you, I'll be waiting the confirmation of Janet, as I post on facebook the pictures, so she probably will know which hoyas they are.

Greetings from Brazil

Mitzi

• yangmahal
    12 years ago

Hi Mitzi

I did send you H.obscura major, H.obscura X lacunosa'Sunrise', and H.obscura 'Phillip'. I believe the first picture may be 'Phillip' as it's leaves are larger than the other two, by the way this plant's name is not registered.

Mr.Dahms is correct in saying as the cuttings revive we will be able to identify them.

As you know this is the first time I have posted but have been a lurker for a several years and have learned a great deal from the forum.

Never fear Mitzi, all will be named!

Jan

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

What you have then is Hoya obscura, another Hoya obscura collected in the Philippines (Phillip stands for Philippines and is not a clonal name)and Hoya obscura x Hoya lacanosa which gives you the hybrid Hoya Sunrise. There no need to write out the cross though just Hoya Sunrise is fine.

Mitzi you will love these plants, great growers and frequent bloomers once they develop their peduncles.

Jan it's nice to see you post and please feel free to join in our conversations. Welcome to the forum!

Mike

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dear all,

I'm very glad that Jan finally post here. Jan welcome!

Thank you very much for the hoyas and for posting here.

So Mike what I have there is two hoyas lacunosas right?

Jan told me that the second one could be crassicaulis, what do you think? I'd love if the second one could really be the crassicaulis, because I think this hoya is just beautiful.

I have others but as I told they lost their leaves or are so dehydrated that is not possible to take a good picture for ID. But I'll post here when they recover, no matter how long it takes.

Thank you all

Mitzi from Brazil

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

No Hoya lacanosa Mitzi but two different Hoya obscura plants and a hybrid of obscura x lacanosa which is called Hoya Sunrise.
    The second one could be Hoya crassicaulis as it has the narrow leaf base as well as a slightly folded leaf the midrib being most visible of the leaf veins. We will be able to tell once it starts growing as obscura has a very different growth habit from crassicaulis.

Mike

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

I seriously am amazed how everyone plants a huge cutting in a huge pot and cross their fingers for luck. The best way to root a hoya cutting is to reduce the surface area and just do simple pair of nodes with a pair of leaves. Cut the stem below the node just enough to allow the new shoot to develop well above the soil line. Root individual plants in small 2-2 1/2 inch pots with little media and watch for quick recovery and growth. Then you will have extra rooted plants for trading and or giving away. One cutting = several plants and guarantee that several will take thus increasing your chances for success.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

I use 2.5" up to 4" pots for rooting Hoyas, anything larger and you can get into serious trouble with root rot and just a temperamental plant instead of a vigorous one. Even moving a well established plant up to a bigger pot too soon can be a bad idea and 6" pots are as big as I use even for very large plants.

Mike

• patrick51
    12 years ago

Obscura 'Phillip' is not a valid name...it was named after the man who donated the plant to a botanical garden in Florida. Gardino's Nursery was given a cutting of this plant...they know Phillip..and they state that this obscura is very different than the one we're accustomed to, different leaves and larger blooms. Gardino's was kind enough to "gift" me with one....it's been over a year and there's been growth, but no sign of blooming yet, so I can't attest to the larger blooms...though I can say that the plant is quite different than the regular obscura...undoubtedly a clone. Fondly, Patrick

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for so good advices! I promise that I'll consider always smaller pots!

In fact I'm very stubborn, very and somethimes I want to do the things in Mitzi's way, because I know that most of the things discovered in the world was for accidental reasons, so I like to try, but I'll keep in mind about small pots!

Thank you!

Mitzi from Brazil

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Patrick thanks for that info as I had assumed that the name Phillip was just short for Phillippines. I wonder if this plant is the same as the one I got labeled as Hoya coloura. My plant is quite a bit larger than my Hoya obscura and although it was about to flower it dried out only once and dropped it's peduncle during the summer heat.

Mike

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi all,

I received this hoya while I was in LA, due to the delay in delivering by our post office service.

My husband took care of it for me, but lost its ID, can anyone guess who she is?

Thank you

Mitzi

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

Might be H. memoria. Can't really tell on some of these until they flower.

• Ament
    12 years ago

Mitzi, sorry I can't help ID any of these, but I did want to say I just love all of them. So pretty! :D

~Tina

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mairzy,

You are right!!! It is memoria gracilis! I bought this one and it arrived while I was in LA. Thank you very much!

Tina, thanks! I love my hoyas too!! LOL!

• lalla62
    12 years ago

hi mitzi, yes, it is hoya memoria gracilis, has very beautiful
    leaf and easy groows.

very good purchase!!!!

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Lalla, I really hope she grows fast and give me many flowers........

Mitzi

• jjude2
    9 years ago

I'm new to posting so really don't know how all this works was just looking for info on obscura phillip.

• User
    9 years ago

Is that a type of Hoya? Am not familiar w/ that name, just Hoya obscura.

Whatever it is, how this works is pls. make a separate post for a new question, something with a question in the title like, perhaps:

"Anyone familiar w/ obscura philip? "

AND, Happy Birthday belatedly.

• greedygh0st
    9 years ago

I moved this topic over here, so please reply to jjude2 in that thread. :)

Thx guys!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH