Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
60+ yr Hoya

Posted by ggbanz NH (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 9, 13 at 10:41

I have a tangled up hoya that is at least 60 years old. It was my grandmother's. I have had it for about 10 years and it just bloomed for the first time since I got it 2 summers ago.

It is long, extremely heavy and grows well - I am trying to decide if I should trim it or not. I want to see it flower more and have already given some cuttings away. I don't want to lose this plant - it is really sentimental to me, but am having a difficult time figuring out where to put it in the winter. During the summer months I hang it outside under a tree and it seems really happy there.

Any advice would be appreciated. I am not sure exactly what kind it is and until I found this site, I had no idea that there were so many varieties. Love these plants!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 60+ yr Hoya

Here is a photo of one of the blooms. It and about 4 others were about 3 feet down near the bottom of the plant. I am worried that if I trim all of that then the plant will not bloom anymore.

o

Hi..You have Hoya carnosa,one of the first types to show up in stores years ago.It can be trimmed,but you want to leave the vines that have the bloom spurs on,because it will bloom from the same spurs for many years.Any window will work as long as it dosen,t get direct sun for more then 2 hours,or some of the leaves may get sun spots,which dosent harm the plant,but looks less apealing.Being its heavy, I would buy one of those anchor bolt hangers where you have to drill a hole first in the cealing,then push up the anchor.because the plant is so heavy,a regular hook screwed into dry wall may not be able to support the plant.Be sure to let the plant dry out before watering ,expecially in winter.Here is a link on care for carnosa varities. http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hoya/msg0901302423341.html

o

forgot to add this link! http://archives.starbulletin.com/2004/04/23/features/garden.html

This post was edited by Vine_Master on Sun, Nov 10, 13 at 10:45

o

Well it certainly looks healthy, lush, and just beautiful plant! I love BIG, flowing Carnosas!

My mother grew the Hoya Compacta for Many years. It is what got me into growing them many years. TFS!

o

I know what you mean about the sentimental value of an heirloom plant. My carnosa originated from my step-grandmother's plant, and my mother has part of it, too. She periodically restarts hers because it gets so incredibly large so fast, and she just doesn't have room for it. Whether you keep it as it came from your grandmother, or start anew with cuttings, it's still legacy from the original plant and a tribute to your grandma.

VM had good advice about hanging it, and as long as it grows healthy, I wouldn't do a thing different than you've been doing. I might start a few cuttings in a pot for myself just to make sure I have a backup in case something were to happen to the mama plant. You can't be too careful with sentimental plants.

Denise in Omaha

o

I remember reading that you should not cut them back too much cuz they only flower after they reach 3 feet in length....Just what I read lol I'm new to them myself. I have one from a few years ago and it only bloomed a few months after getting it but now, I'm keeping with a regular fertilizing schedule and giving it some TLC and it is taking off!! I havent seen it put out so much growth ever!
~Michael

P.S. still wish mine was as big as yours! lol

o

I agree with the advice to try starting some cuttings so you have a backup plant.
In my experience, hoya carnosa cuttings can even root in a jar of water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here