Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
friedajune

Are there Hummingbirds in Big Cities?

friedajune
17 years ago

For a brief time, I lived in North Carolina, where hummingbirds were very common, and it was a delight to watch them. Now I live in Chicago, a few miles from Lake Michigan, in a part of the city that you'd swear was a suburb cause of the amounts of trees and gardens. In my yard, I have seen raccoons, possums, rabbits, chipmunks. My roses, clematis and butterfly bushes attract several types of bees and butterflies. There are of course crows, sparrows, cardinals, titmouses, woodpeckers and blue jays. I have also seen hawks, and my neighbor says she saw a heron (usually spotted closer to Lake Michigan than we are). So hummingbirds shouldn't be out of the question, rght? But I have not seen any. Do you think I shoud make the effort to attract hummingbirds, or is that a pipe dream?

Comments (11)

• claire_de_luna
    17 years ago

You should be able to attract hummingbirds...yes, make the effort! Penny gets them to visit her hi-rise building, almost 150 feet up; check it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Look for the picture of the red lunch bag

• jenny_in_se_pa
    17 years ago

Poor Claire! LOL That was mine and yep, I am in the city of Philadelphia. although right on the literal line between the city and a surrounding suburban county. Never thought it could ever happen - particularly since I never saw one growing up around here. But people said they were here and one found my spot. Now I have a couple.

akchicago - if you are near any woods or creeks, etc., then they are probably nearby. It's a matter of getting some things that will attract them.

I live on the 18th floor of a hi-rise apartment building with a 40ft long balcony and I have been growing shrubs & perennials up here for some time. The one that I think helped that they apparently spotted was a "Red Prince" weigela that was reblooming in August. I have the branches cascading over the rail and the red flowers were enough to get the attention of a migrating female. I also had a goldflame honeysuckle growing up a trellis that had a few blooms still around in August and when she discovered that, that did it! The following spring (last year), she returned and I was ready for her with a feeder and some additional plants that hummers like (Bee balm, dicentra, heurchera, salvia). She came in June 2005, nested, and hatched 2 baby boys sometime in July and they followed her up here. All 3 hung around through the summer until about mid-September, afterwhich they migrated to their winter home. This year, the first one to greet me on April 29 was one of the baby boys, now all grown up!

I put that red vinyl lunchbag up last year with the hope that it would serve as a beacon so that hummers in the area might be curious and would investigate it and they apparently did. I think I may have some new ones this year too (possible new female). Others had reported using ribbons or other red objects with success, so I had tried that and noticed that new hummers or babies will go right up to it and start pecking at it. LOL

So don't hesitate to give it a shot. Sometimes they'll instantly find you and other times it will take a little while but they are worth the wait!

This is one of my returning males (was born last year and has made my balcony his territory...LOL):

• jo_in_tx
    17 years ago

I'm in a 'burb of Houston, and we definitely have them here! And I know they are much closer into downtown than I am.

• claire_de_luna
    17 years ago

Oh!!! Jenny, my apologies. (I get mixed up sometimes so yes, I'm poor Claire.) Well, I remembered it was you even if I got your name confused...

• kristin_williams
    17 years ago

My mother lives in a wooded suburb just outside Pittsburgh, and this is where I have my hummingbird garden and a couple of tiny feeders.

I also have an apartment inside the city of Pittsburgh, on a street where there are trees and some flowers. I have seen hummingbirds there occasionally, and this without making any attempt to attract them. Uninformed people think of Pittsburgh as a post-industrial wasteland, but Pittsburgh is full of trees and parks, and beautiful ravines and steep hillsides. My apartment, however, is not especially near any of the larger parks or cemeteries, and yet I have seen hummers from time to time.

I have no doubt that if you're getting all that wildlife where you are, akchicago, there are hummingbirds around in your neighborhood, too. It's definitely worth your while to plant flowers for them and hang up feeders. If you build it (or should I say plant it, or hang it) they will come. You may need to be patient, and wait for them to find you, but I do think they will come.

• sandwhy
    17 years ago

When I lived in New York we would see them all the time... in Central Park of course, but still!! Amazing those little buggers find the right flowers in the middle of all of that development and skyscrapers. :)

Also keep in mind Chicago is in the middle of a migratory flyway - being situated on Lake Michigan makes it prime birding fodder as birds are just "funnelled" to the shoreline and areas near the lake. Up here in Evanston I have only seen them in early spring and early/mid fall. Maybe you'll have better luck! :)

Sandy

• ltcollins1949
    17 years ago

I lived in Montrose, near downtown Houston, Texas, for many years, and yes we had hummers.

• cydonia33
    17 years ago

I live about 10 minutes from downtown Philly (we call it Center City, in these parts), and I get hummers all the time. I don't know how they do it... but the hummers and the butterflies and the songbirds have all managed to find my yard... Plant to attract and you will...

Jenny

• steviedon
    17 years ago

I live in Los Angeles, close to Sunset Boulevard, and I have dozens of hummers every day. don't give up! the red feeders and streamers are a great idea for attracting their attention.

• debgrow
    17 years ago

I'm in suburban Chicago, and I saw one for the first time earlier this summer. It was attracted to my Jacob Kline monarda - bright red flower - I had just three blooms this year (young plant) but the hummer found them in my backyard. I've seen what must be that same bird visiting those flowers regularly since then. The flowers are nearly faded now, so I put a little feeder up very near where they are - hoping the hummer will make the transition to the feeder and keep coming (and maybe bring his friends). They're amazing little creatures.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    17 years ago

Deb - they found your spot so they will definitely return!!! And they sure do like that Jacob Cline monarda. :-D

Sponsored
More Discussions