Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jvat

Nutrients Clogging Air Stones, oxygenation problems

JVAT
12 years ago

So a few months into my first NFT system I am coming across problems keeping my oxygenating air stones bubbling freely. I have a 6" stone in the main tank that runs from one of the two independent outputs on my air pump. I have the second output split at a Tee and providing air to two separate 1" cylindrical stones that are placed at the topside of each of the two channels.

My stones keep clogging, Air flow (bubbles) is severely limited after just 24 hours of run time. Currently, I pull the stones out and run them in a bucket with just tap water virtually every evening. The stones seem to clean themselves out and the bubbles increase greatly after just a couple minutes in the tap water rinse, but then the next evening when I get home from work, its the same story, Clogged stones providing very little bubbles / oxygen.

Does anybody have any Ideas? My Nutrient solution is the standard Hydroponic liquid type and I keep it below 1500 PPM. Are there any alternative products? Do I really need the stones or can I just run the tubes straight into the channels and reservoir?

Comments (5)