Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa33_gw

Total beginner with questions

lisa33
14 years ago

Hi there!

My name is Lisa and I am pretty much brand new to gardening. I have, however, plunged in head first! I terraced my front yard and planted a cottage-type garden. Let's hope the carnage is not too severe in my first growing season.

Anyway, I purchased this house nearly a year ago and have been largely sitting back and watching what grows in the side and back yards. The previous owner was an avid gardener in her heyday, but wasn't well enough to tend to her gardens in her later years. So, discovering what's in the gardens has been a bit of an adventure.

Among other things, I was able to identify bearded iris foliage emerging in many places in the yard this past spring.

{{gwi:1036583}}

I only had 3 blooms though. I'm guessing they need to be divided.

{{gwi:1036584}}

Additionally, there was a section of garden that had thinner foliage that wasn't as obviously irises until they surprised me as they bloomed at the end of May.

{{gwi:646232}}

Finally, there was a long stretch of fence in the backyard (50 plus feet) with an eastern exposure that was lined with more long "pokey" leaves that I thought might be daylilies (remember I'm a neophyte and was pretty proud that I actually identified the bearded iris before they bloomed!). I waited and waited for the "daylilies" to bloom. As we approached the middle of August, I started wondering what was up. So, I posted a question in the daylily forum:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/daylily/msg081625313262.html?2

As you can see, they were kind enough to point me to this forum. I don't know why it didn't originally occur to me that these were more irises except that there wasn't ONE single bloom along that fifty plus foot line of fence. I just figured it was something that bloomed later.

Here are some pictures of them dug up. Siberian irises?

{{gwi:1036587}}

{{gwi:1036589}}

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Do they simply need to be dug up and divided or is it likely that they aren't getting enough sun where they are? The Daylily forum folks identified the other plant with the irises to be Bishop's Weed. How should I go about getting rid of that?

Thanks sooo much in advance for any help!

Lisa :)

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022