Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linny57_gw

Trying to find Cabbage Peas

linny57
16 years ago

I cannot find anyone, (outside the locals here), who has ever heard of Cabbage peas. I've searched and searched on line, but all I get are recipes for cabbage and peas! They don't taste or smell like cabbage, so I don't know why they are called that. They are a small green pea. Kind of a medium green, not dark. Not quite as small as a Lady pea. The eye is the same color as the pea, and they are just sooo good. I sure would like to grow some. Anyone?

Comments (24)

• farmerdilla
    16 years ago

I have not heard the Term. Can you clarify whether it is an English pea (Pisum sativa) or a southern pea/cowpea ( Vigna unguiculata).

• linny57
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I know it's not an English pea, and it's not a Cow Pea. I also know it's not a Cream pea, or Crowder pea. Sadly, I just know what it's not! If you have any other ideas I sure would love to hear them, and thank you for replying.

• hairymooseknuckles
    16 years ago

Where did you get your seed?

• linny57
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We used to be able to buy them from the local feed store. When we moved back here after being gone for several years, the store said they had not been able to get them for three or more years. I never thought they might become "extinct".

• oldpea
    16 years ago

How about asking the local feed store who the supplier was during that time, then contact that supplier.
    Also, an ad in the local paper could be one way to find someone who may have saved some seed.

• linny57
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Two excellent ideas oldpea! Wish I had thought of them myself. I will go to the feed store tomorrow morning, and come Monday I will place an ad in the local paper. Thank you very much.

Linny

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Linny,
    But what are they, lol. Curious minds want to know. : )
    Saving seed is easy. You just let the pods mature on the plant. The pods will become dry. Once dry, pick them and bring them inside and shell them all. Keep them in a paper bag in a cool dry place. You probably have weevils down where you are you may need to freeze them for a bit to kill them.
    There is more info on the link,
    Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Saving Bean seed

• linny57
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Remy,

I love curious minds! Cabbage peas are a small pale green pea. My mother says she always heard they were sort of a "gourmet" pea. They have a distinct taste that is very good. They do not however, taste like cabbage, so I don't know where the name comes from!

Thanks for the information and the link on saving the seed. I appreciate it and it does sound easy. You are right about the weevils, so I will freeze them for a bit. Would you think a day or two in the freezer would do it?

Linny

• maypoplaurel
    16 years ago

Could they be chickpeas (cici or garbonzos are the other names)? Although they are pale yellow when dried, they are green when fresh. I was curious about this because they do resemble little cabbages. Although not as popular as many beans grown here, they are very popular the world over.

• linny57
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Maypop, they aren't Garbanzos, but I love those too, and they have such a great flavor. And you are right, they do resemble little cabbages. The cabbage pea more resembles a miniature black-eyed pea, with the pea being pale green and the eye just a litte darker green than the pea.

Thanks for your input though. Now I'm thinking I will try to grow some Garbanzos too!

• melwy
    15 years ago

Hello Linny i would be very interested in some of your cabbage pea seed if they produce for you this year. I have 2 varieties that you may be interested in as well both of which seem to have been lost 1 is called floricreme or floracreme which was developed for Florida many years ago so I'm told, the other is called red reggie, cannot tell you any history of this one other than my family has saved it for over 20 years the other has been saved by a former agriculture teacher for about 30 years. I just aquired the floricreme last fall and now have seed to share if you are interested thanks Mel

• bamagene
    9 years ago

trying to find a few seed for the cabbage pea. I would give anything to get these seed again' Thanking you in advance if you can help me.
    Have a blessed day
    bamagene

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Just a thought, but do you think 'cabbage' could be a corruption of the German 'Kapuziner' or the Dutch 'Capuzijner'?

Here is a link that might be useful: Capuzijner/ Kapuziner Peas.

• Yelnatsdraw
    9 years ago

The Cabbage Pea ( Bush White Acre ) http://www.smartgardener.com/plants/4495-cowpea-white-acre/overview

Here is a link that might be useful: Bush White Acre

• obermiester
    9 years ago

Yes the cabbage pea is Bush White Acre Peas

• Ty Coleman
    6 years ago

My stepdad asked me to find some cabbage peas for him. He said they are different than white acre. Would anyone be willing to help me out ?

• sueling07
    6 years ago

Linny57...... I hope you are still on this site. I have been looking for cabbage peas for years. When I was a little girl, my grandmother planted cabbage peas and we all loved them. I recently found some seed in the freezer and thought I had found some cabbage peas....planted them and they turned out to be a huge white pea....they are delicious too, but certainly not cabbage peas. I live in central Florida and would love to get a few seed as a start if you still have some. I do so hope you are still on here somewhere!!!!

• edpwork
    6 years ago

The cabbage pea is often mistaken as a white acre, but rest assured it is not a white acre pea. When I was a young girl in Middle Georgia the cabbage pea and the white acre pea were often grown together by the same farmers/gardeners. There is a difference. We put them in the freezer every year by the bushels. About the mid 1970's we went to get them as we did every year, but this year would be different. We searched high and low for them. Every farm, every roadside stand and every farmer's market we knew of, heard of or could find, but to no avail. Every farmer, every gardner, every grower, all said the same thing, we could not find any seed this year! My family has not had a cabbage pea since. I'm so in hopes that w/ the broad reach of the internet someone somewhere will still have these seeds. Linny57 I so hope you've located them and visit this site again and share! I can find the white acre pea, but I'm still searching for the once popular and plentiful cabbage pea.

• hairymooseknuckles
    6 years ago

Anyone ever find any?

• Anelda Butler
    3 years ago

linny57 would you be willing to sell a dozen or so of the cabbage pea? Contact me by email if you would please. aneldab@bellsouth.net

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    3 years ago

Linny hasn't posted since 2008.

• HU-939938193
    3 years ago

Cabbage peas ? Never heard of them

Hu from oklahoma

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting