Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bevinga

1st time Pink-eyed peas/purple hull

bevinga
16 years ago

Hi,

I grew up with my parents planting a huge garden every year, and in that garden they planted purple hull peas.

I have a small garden, approximately 16' x 16' and would like to plant purple-hull peas, but my parents are telling me that I need a huge area in which to plant them. Now, I'm not feeding an army, but would like to have enough of a harvest to warrant planting them.

Can I successfully grow peas in a 16' x 16' row? If so, do they have runners or are they like grean beans in that there are some that have runners and some that are bush beans?

Which pink-eyed/purple hull peas do you recommend for planting in this typ of situation?

Since I'm in Northwest Georgia and the days already reach around 80 + degrees, is it too late to plant them?

Thanks for any advice!

Beverly

Comments (17)

• ruthieg__tx
    16 years ago

My boxes are 4 feet X 16 feet and I have 4 rows of peas in my box...Mostly I plant the Oiunkeye purple hull bush but this year I have some vines too and other kinds of peas as well...Enjoy...

• jimster
    16 years ago

They can be closely spaced in the row, 3 or 4 inches apart. Also, you can make double or triple rows, so you don't waste a lot of space on the aisles. You have plenty of space to grow enough to enjoy some. It's not too late. Plant some. See if a local feed and seed store has them. It will be cheap that way. Otherwise order by mail

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Pink Eye Purple Hull Seeds

• bevinga
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you both for your advice and for the information. I am going to try to find some seed, plant them, and see what happens!

Beverly

• Jerry Murphy
    16 years ago

I grew up in southern middle Tennessee. My mother's family never planted peas (cowpeas, southern peas, etc) until July 1st saying they avoided many of the insect pests by doing so.

You still have plenty of time to plant your Pinkeyed Purple Hull Cowpeas. I'm planning on planting 3 varieties of cowpeas after my corn crop is gone at the end of June/first of July.

• ruthieg__tx
    16 years ago

I have plans to do some late ones too...that's supposed to be .....pinkeyed purple hulled...not Oiunkeye.........

• jimster
    16 years ago

Where can I get me some of them Oiunkeye seeds? Do the peas have the pork flavor built in?

Jim

• ruthieg__tx
    16 years ago

go to your room jimster.....

• bevinga
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ROFLOL!

Okay, now that I've gained my composure...It's good to know I can go ahead and plant and it not be considered too late. The main concern I have now is that some Georgia counties in the vacinity of ours have put a total ban on outside watering. We're praying it doesn't get that bad here!

Beverly

• jimster
    16 years ago

Beverly,

With a water shortage, you've picked a good thing to grow. Southern peas are noted for being able to grow in heat and drought.

I might suggest sneaking a little water to them under cover of darkness when they are first planted though, just to get them germinated.

Jim

• monajean
    16 years ago

can purple hull peas be planted as a fall crop? If so, when do I plant them? Do they come in pole climbing and bush or just one of them?
    Monajean

• jannettewilliams
    13 years ago

I just want to know where to get pinkeye purple hull peas. My twelve year old daughter has declared herself a vegetarian, and I am trying to impress upon her that she will need to eat some type of pea, bean or nut(s) to get her protein. I wanted to go to the store to get pinkeyed purple hulled peas which is our family's traditional pea delicacy, but found everywhere I go these days there are mislabeled black eyed peas for sale. Is this treat becoming a rarity?

• rodger
    13 years ago

Heavenly seeds has them. Rodger

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinkeye purple hull peas

• P POD
    13 years ago

Willhite is a great source for Southern peas with reasonable prices on seed and shipping. They list two Pink-Eyed Purple-Hulled peas: "Quickpick" and "Texas Purple Hull."

Here is a link that might be useful: Willhite, Texas

• farmerdilla
    13 years ago

Depends on where you are I suppose, any local that sells bulks seeds below the Mason- Dixon like will have the generic Pink Eye Purple Hull. It is more popular than the California Blackeye

• Kelli Tucker Campbell
    13 years ago

Hey guys! I was wondering if purple hulls keep producing after you pinch off the first batch of peas. We're getting our first big batch now, and I'm hoping they'll put out again but am not sure. Thanks!

• P POD
    13 years ago

kellilou, you'll find your question discussed in Will cow peas bloom a second time?

• Kelli Tucker Campbell
    13 years ago

Ppod, evidently you're a much better searcher than I am. I couldn't find anything on it. Thanks!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH