Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bean jargon primer--shellie?

Posted by greenie88 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 4, 10 at 17:57

I'm new to gardening and I'm confused by terminology.

What is a shellie? What is typically grown for green/snap beans, what is typically a shellie, and what beans are used dried?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bean jargon primer--shellie?

Any bean in Phaseolus family can be used in all three stages. Those commonly used for snap beans have tender fleshy pods. They are not as easily shelled as those designed as shelled beans. Shellies are simply beans shelled at the mature stage, but before they dry.(green shelled beans) Limas and other types are often used at this stage. Common beans used in this manner are frequently dual purpose beans. Not as tender or as fleshy as designated snap beans, but still suitable as snap beans.Example Horticultural types. Dry beans are completely dried on the vine. Cultivars specifically for this purpose have thin tough pods, that are not too good as snap beans, but are easily shelled as dry beans. Navy beans, Great Northern are examples.
Vendors will usually list as snap beans, dual purpose beans or dry beans.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bean categories

o
RE: Bean jargon primer--shellie?

I grow many kinds of shelly beans each year and they are a favorite of mine.

There was a shelly thread that you may find interesting. - Dick

Here is a link that might be useful: Shelly Beans

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here