Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hopflower_gw

Looking for...

hopflower
16 years ago

Lemon Meringue. Anyone have one they can swap me for anything? No longer available from the grower, I lost mine and it was a real favourite. I would love to have another! Thanks.

Comments (7)

• alina_1
    16 years ago

Hopflower,
    Jung sells Lemon Meringue. Not the best company to buy from, but Lily bulbs I got from them were nice.

• hopflower
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, alina. I got the original from B&D Lilies, but they no longer grow it as they first bred it and it seems it was unsuccessful in many gardens, so they abandoned it. I emailed them and they were very nice about explaining all this to me; but the bottom line is I am without the Lemon Meringue that I loved! Tell me, do you know whether it has the raspberry spreckles on it? That lily was truly stunning! I may order from Jung just to see if it is the same one.

• alina_1
    16 years ago

I am sorry, I can not tell you about this particular variety. I ordered Orienpet 'Contrast' from them last spring. It did not bloom for me, but I can not blame Jung for this. We had terrible weather fluctuations last year; many Lilies and other perennials failed to bloom. They grew nicely though, so I hope I will see flowers next summer. BTW, I could not find 'Contrast' at other places. Hope it is true to name...
    This company has mixed feedback comments, but I was lucky with my order: Lily bulbs were good and Amaryllis bulb was absolutely superb.
    Did you loose your 'Lemon Meringue' to weather? It should be hard to grow Lilies in your zone without winter chilling.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    16 years ago

Not all lilies require an extensive winter chill period. There are a number of species originating from rather warm climes that should thrive without a lot of winter chill.

A previous discussion from the California Gardening forum outlines a number of good choices for southern California.

Here is a link that might be useful: lilies for SoCal

• hopflower
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I live in northern CA.

No, alina, I had them in a pot outside. We can grow some beautiful lilies where I live, some neighbours have them; although no the ones I favour. But we do have a bit of winter chill here; although not for very long. I am not sure why it was lost. As I mentioned, the growers said it was not a successful lily for many people, and so even they no longer grow it and they were the original breeders. I got the impression that they had no future plans for it whatsoever. I learned this when I wanted to purchase another one from them. I got a "Casa Blanca" at the same time and it was gorgeous. I had also purchased one called "Pink Ribbons". It, too, did well. Lemon Meringue gave me one large outrageously lovely blossom or two, and that was it!

• alina_1
    16 years ago

Hopflower,
    Bob and Dianna from B&D helped me a lot with my last year order. Bob explained that 'Sea Treasure' and 'Tiger Woods' are extremely prone to virus infections and die out in a couple years. So not all Lilies are the same in terms of perennial performance. Maybe, they discontinued 'Lemon Meringue' for a reason?
    Orienpets perform better for me than Orientals. Huge flowers, strong stems. If you like yellow Lilies, you should try 'Conca D'Or', such a beauty!

• hopflower
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Right. That is what I was saying to you, alina. That is why they said it is no longer carried by them, and they were the original hybridisers. They told me it was not hardy in many of the gardens, so they discontinued working with it. I am just missing it. It was beautiful while it lasted! I did not know the precise reason for it, but it probably is something like that.

I did check with Jung, but it is not the same Lemon Meringue. Theirs has no raspberry spots on the white and yellow background. I can tell you that B & D's lily was superb and amazing; at least to me. Jung's is only yellow and white. Pretty, but not what I have been after!

I appreciate your suggestion, though. It could have been just the one I wanted!