Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gregd96067

How shallow an area can a Seriyu Japanese Maple live in?

gregd96067
10 years ago

I'm considering planting a Seriyu Japanese Maple in a prominent location near our front door. My dilemma is that the depth at that location is very shallow as I will detail below. If I plant the tree in that location, I'm going to have to build a perimeter wall with stack stones, or mound up the soil. So the question is how much soil space under the roots must there be for the tree to be able to flourish? Do you feel this is a wise choice to put a tree here, or do I scale back my plan?

I found this post that seems encouraging:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/maple/msg0816032726071.html

Here is the longer story:

In the photo there is this planting area to the right side of the walkway. It's hard to see but directly adjacent to that right-most post, and at the edge of the driveway, there is a drain. We live in snow country and this was installed in response to driveway drainage issues we have had in the past.

The drain is connected to a gravel sump area. Not real good planning on my part but that sump is only 1 foot below grade. (There was a layer of rock about 30 inches down, so we excavated to that point, installed drain cloth, filled that with roughly 18" of drain rock, wrapped the drain cloth over the top, and covered it back with soil.

I�ve had it in mind to set an ornamental tree in that location which will provide some visual elevation, and then have azaleas and bedding flowers below it. So I find a Seiryu Japanese Maple at the local nursery, get all excited and purchase it, rush home to start digging the hole to plant it, and suddenly realize how shallow the soil is before running into the sump. (That may seem crazy but there was a fire, the house was rebuilt, the sump was created, and the depth of that sump is one of many details that simply became a blur over a 2-year period of reconstruction.)

So� What say you? Should I attempt this or shall I ditch the idea and either use a smaller tree or shrub, or do you think this might work?

Thank you.

Comments (4)

• houstontexas123
    10 years ago

hard to say. take bonsai for example, very shallow pots, roots are pruned every year or two, the branches are pruned and the tree kept a small size.

i'd say give it a try. but when you plant it, spread the roots out to help it get anchored other wise a strong wind will blow it over. add a thick layer of mulch on top.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

I'm responding only because I hear your desperation, and I know trees. What I don't know is if Japanese Maples have tap roots or shallow.

I know vineyards, citrus, roses and figs, and I have two Japanese Maples. We moved one last year and feared we killed it, but this year it's growing like a weed.

We live on a hillside covered with deep boulders. Anything we plant thrives around the boulders. Roots will have a great time feeding through the drainage rocks. They will find a way around them and at the same time glean valuable minerals for the trees health.

I might want to pierce the drain cloth to give the roots a boost.

Suzi

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

Virtually all trees have quite shallow root systems, even those that often start out as tap rooted. Trees that have permanent tap roots tend to be those most common to very arid areas.

Japanese maples are no exception - they tend to have a very shallow root system and with a lot of small feeder roots right under the soil surface.

One of the classic responses to a shallow planting depth or very heavy, hard clay soils is to build the area up. Just a small mound of dirt centered in that area is typically sufficient for adequate root development.......specially with a slower growing JM like 'Seriyu'. Often these mounds or berms are anchored with a strategically placed boulder or two. Gives the area a sense of place and intent.

Personally, I prefer a raised or mounded planting area over one that is flush with the surrounding pavement.

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

Ok, I gotta ask this, because I'm concerned about putting JMs in the ground near my well and the pipes into the house.

Are the roots of this Seriyu going to grow into the OP's drainage system, perhaps damaging the sump pump?

BTW. Seriyu is pretty durable, at least at my house. I would give it a fighting chance, though, and perhaps rim that bedding area with some kind of stacked stone to prevent unaware drivers from taking out your tree.

People who kill JMs never understand why a 4' tree can cost a hundred million dollars to replace. Plus, it'll break your heart.

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County