Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
native tree for front yard

Posted by njnative 6, northern nj (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 17, 09 at 10:15

hi,
my husband and i are new homeowners. today we had to cut down a large pine tree that was half dead and took up most of our front yard. we are devastated to say the least. we didn't realize how many birds called the tree home.

anyway, looking forward we want to replace it with something native. we dont want it to be too huge, we live in a tiny cape, and the space is not very big. it is in a pretty sunny spot. any help would be greatly appreciated! thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: native tree for front yard

A couple of suggestions:

Sourwood - Oxydendrum arboreum
Serviceberry - Amelanchier arborea or Amelanchier laevis (or there are hybrids like Amelanchier 'Autumn Brilliance')

Both of these like sun. Serviceberry has very tasty berries that the birds adore. Both have good fall color and lose their leaves in the winter. Pretty flowers too.

o

Hi NJnative, I was looking for something similar 2 years ago, and posted a thread to this forum at the time. There was a good discussion with lots of suggestions. See link below.

I ended up buying a 6 foot Amelanchier x lamarkii (hybrid Serviceberry) in a 15 gallon pot. Pretty pricey, but I wanted instant gratification and overall it has not disappointed. My only complaint would be that it loses its leaves early, with little fall display. But it has flowered profusely and made lot of berries each Spring. Beautiful and yummy! I have since purchased another smaller Amelanchier canadensis and a batch of Amelanchier seedlings, and they hold their leaves longer and have nice fall color.

How about Cornus florida, flowering Dogwood? My spot was a little small (Serviceberry tends to grow more upright than wide), but IMO there is no more beautiful native tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: Looking for ornamental Native shrub/small tree

o

Congrats on your new home. What part of NJ are you in? The coastal plain/pine barrens can be very acidic and sandy, elsewhere you may have more clay or ?
Serviceberry is a good tree. I also like Chionanthus virginicus....beautiful shrubby small tree. Magnolia virginiana is a nice, small, native Magnolia. Nyssas are nice (they may get larger than you wish, but they generally have finer stems and twigs as opposed to large, heavy, spreading branches). One of the American Holly selections may also be nice (will also get large, but not in our lifetime).

o

i live in cayman and i have plenty mango trees and lots more local ones in my yard .

onemilliontomy.webs.com

o

Redbud! Beautiful in all seasons, especially spring, and birds love it...

o

Hi

I used to live in NJ. Years ago we planted a flowering cherry - this is a beautiful tree, did very well there, and doesn't require a lot of fall raking (leaves were quite lightweight). Also could choose dogwood or crabapple - nice for the birds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here