Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trumpet Vine - too late to prune

Posted by cdo_and_doug 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 27, 09 at 12:06

Hi - Will I compromise the flowers if I prune the Trumpet Vine at this late date?
Then ends of the vines are very dried out and dead looking.

I know many people think of Trumpet Vine as invasive.
Right now it's young and under control, coming up on year 2.

I'm looking forward to blooms a lot of the summer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trumpet Vine - too late to prune

I don't have trumpet vine, but I can say that for my Blanche Sandman honeysuckles, I've just today pruned back all the "dead" material on the ends of the vines so if that's what you're talking about "pruning" (the dried out, dead looking ends), I can't imagine any harm in cleaning things up. I waited until my honeysuckles had leafed out noticeably, then just worked back (snapping test branches to make sure I was still in "dead" material that snapped easily and was dry, with no green) until I got to a green leaf set. Then I cut right above them. I would assume you could do that with any flowering vine (clematis having their own obvious exceptions).

But to be certain, check out the vines forum...

Here is a link that might be useful: Great GW thread on pruning vines

o
RE: Trumpet Vine - too late to prune

Thanks CTLady
I did go prune it very late
just like you said.
It looks very good now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here