Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
macmex

Seminole squash posting

Macmex
14 years ago

Someone posted a question about Seminole, over in the squash & pumpkins forum. Perhaps someone who has raised this squash can give input.

They just cooked one of these and say that the flesh was stringy and watery. They want to know if this is normal for the variety.

George

Here is a link that might be useful: Seminole pumpkin

Comments (7)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    14 years ago

George,

"Stringy and watery" is not a description of any Seminole pumpkin I've ever harvested and eaten. I'd describe them as having orange flesh that is the opposite of stringy...very firm and dry and tasty. In her book, "The Compleat Squash", Amy Goldman described the flesh as almost powdery and that's as good of a description of the flesh's texture as anything I can come up with.

The only seed source I've ever used for Seminole is Southern Exposure Seed Exchange. While some people see some variation in the Seminole's shape, the ones I've grown in the past using SESE's seed have always fit the usual description perfectly...buff-colored skin, dry tasty orange flesh and perfect pear shapes.

I've seen photos of Seminoles with all kinds of shapes, and even SESE's own photo shows some shape variation, but I get those perfect little buff-skinned pear shapes every time.

It is my understanding that there are several Seminole pumpkin lines out there floating around, and not all of them look like the ones I'm familiar with from SESE. I've seen photos of some that are more elongated and quite a bit larger than what I get and to me those do not look like Seminole as I know it. I don't know what mine usually weight, but probably about 4 to 7 lbs.

Hope this info helps. Sounds like the OP might have crossed seed? I wonder if hers look like the classic Seminoles shown in the photo (linked below) from SESE? If you look at the linked photo, mine usually look like the short tear-drop shape shown at the left of the photo.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Seminole Pumpkin at SESE

• gldno1
    14 years ago

That first post from George scared me....I ordered seed from SESE this year. Dawn's response made me feel much better. I wonder if they used 'saved' seeds and they were a cross.

BTW, I am loosing a few stored squash....no worry since I had so many. I know the milk parlor go much lower than 50°. I may have to find a better place next year.

• Macmex
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I wonder if the person who reported "stringy & watery" might actually have harvested too early.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    14 years ago

George,

I was wondering that myself, but didn't want to suggest it for fear it might seem like I was "accusing" them of harvesting too early.

I also wondered if maybe he or she planted Seminole late for a very late fall harvest and if the Seminoles were not fully ripe when harvested. If you harvest any winter squash too early, you can get an entirely different result from what you'd see in a mature one, and an immature one "might be" stringy and watery. I don't know. I've never harvested a Seminole that wasn't fully ripe and with a rind that is as hard as a rock.

Dawn

• dancinglemons
    14 years ago

THANKS GEORGE!!!!!

I am the one who asked the question over on the Pumpkin forum. The 2009 season was my first growing Seminole. I got seeds from Baker Creek. I did plant late. The Seminole I ate might well have been "not quite ripe" as it was very watery and stringy. I will order some SESE seed for 2010. I have only one Seminole that is pear shaped with very hard buff skin. Thanks to all of the info shared here I know how to proceed for the 2010 planting. I will be cooking the pear shape Seminole later in the week and will report my findings at that time.

Thanks again one and all!!!!!

DL

• Macmex
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Looking forward to it. From what I've heard about this squash, it sounds like a real good one.

George

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    14 years ago

Dancinglemons,

I hope you get better results in 2010 because your 2009 results were atypical.

In my garden, Seminole produces like mad, withstands all pests and diseases, and they have amazing flavor and texure. If harvested fully ripe, they'll store for 8 months to a year. I hope you get the same results this year.

Dawn

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting