Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amunk01

Is this a Tomato disease?

amunk01
9 years ago

Ok, i pulled my Thessalonica tomato. I noticed the plant was considerably smaller than the plants growing next to it (Carol Chyko). Upon closer inspection i found small black spots/rings on some leaves, yellowing leaves of entire branches with completely dead dried parts. Some of it looked like fertilizer burn but i know that isn't it because i haven't fertilized that row in three weeks. Plus it was the top branches and i bottom water carefully. Ive read and read and i need the experts to just give me an idea of what this may be and how is it transferred. Blight? Leaf spot? There are so many different diseases. I dont see the symptoms anywhere else so far, but my toms are pretty closely planted. What do you guys think?
{{gwi:1113937}}

{{gwi:1113939}}

{{gwi:1113941}}

Comments (2)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    9 years ago

Why pull the plant? Maybe whatever it is really is not all that bad and the plant could be saved. In my garden, Thessaloniki is a nice, average-sized plant that tops out at 5 or 6' in height, bu Carol Chyko is a much larger plant, usually topping out around 7-8', so I encourage you not to expect all the tomato varieties you grow to reach the same height at the same time, if ever, or to grow at the same pace. They are individuals and perform differently, so you really cannot fairly judge one and find it lacking just because it is shorter than the next plant in the row.

I'm not sure what is wrong with your plant. Those odd little dark colored rings on the foliage in the last couple of photos are unique---I've never seen anything like that before.

There could be some similarity to the appearance of early blight, but in the photos I do not necessarily see the concentric circles within the dark spots, and those usually are one of the easiest ways to know it it Early Blight. Also, Early Blight usually starts at the bottom of the plant and works its way up, but you said this started at the top. I find that puzzling and assume that whatever you have going on with your plants, it must be something I haven't seen before or I think I'd remember something that started at the top as opposed to the bottom of the plants.

To get the right diagnosis from the real tomato experts, you should post your photo and ask your question at one or both of the following forums here at GW: Tomatoes or Tomato Pests and Diseases. There are some people there with tons of experience as well as horticultural degrees, years or decades of working in horticulture, advanced degrees, etc. and they likely can tell you what is going on with that plant.

I'll link the Tomato Pests and Disease Forum below for you, but the Tomato Forum would be a good place to post this as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato Pests and Diseases Forum

• amunk01
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok Dawn thanks! I pulled it cause i really dont need it (i have a ton of toms planted just for my family) and have other things to plant so why risk any potential disease when i could use the space. I went ahead and planted a sugarbaby watermelon to try as a living mulch around/under the other toms in that row so we'll see how that goes lol :) Ill post on the other forum to see what it could be.
    Alexis