Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rdback

Crunch Sweet Orange (Revisited)

rdback
11 years ago

1/22/13 update: seed offer now closed

First, I'd like to say thank you to nc-crn for sharing his creation a few years ago. This is a great little pepper! It has nice thick walls, few seeds and an excellent sweet fruity flavor. And its' "single serving" size is very convenient. I've grown it for two years now and will continue to do so into the future.

Last year I paid closer attention to the number of lobes per pepper, since this was a "troubling" trait for nc-crn. The lobe count was variable on each plant, with the slight majority being three-lobed, followed closely by two-lobed. I did find a single pepper that was four-lobed. Unlike the creator, I like the four-lobe over the two-lobe. It's a "better looking" pepper to me, but what do I know lol. Anyway, I saved those seeds and will be growing them out for this years' crop.

And lastly, I'd like to say thank you again to nc-crn for sharing his creation! *smile*

Rick

P.S. I know BigDan1 graciously offered seeds not long ago, not to mention the dozens and dozens nc-crn sent out originally, but in the off-chance you didn't get any, I have a (very) few to share. They are 8th generation / 7th generation offspring. Send me an e-mail if you need a few. Offer open to GardenWeb members (prior to today, 1/18/13) only!

Historical threads:
Link#1
Link#2

This post was edited by rdback on Tue, Jan 22, 13 at 16:36

Comments (8)

• nak10
    11 years ago

Those look beautiful and delicious!

• jasmalka
    11 years ago

Wow, these peppers look really nice. I love hot, but I also love sweet as well. They sound and look almost like an old heirloom Italian sweet pepper I grew many years ago which was passed down a family from Italy for generations before immigrating to the US in upperstate NY. I was fortunate to get a few seeds from a friend who knew this Italian family. The name of the pepper is unknown. The last seed I saved wasn't viable when I tried regrowing years ago. I've been looking for it ever since, but no success in finding a similar pepper. Your pepper looks very close and similar characteristics, only difference being mine had a slight tapered bottom and turned red when ripe. I'd love to try this pepper, for sure.
    Sending you email as requested.

• reyna1
    11 years ago

I'd like to get my hands on some of those seeds. I had requested seed for each offering in the past, and got overlooked :(
    Hopefully this time around I can get some. Let me know.
    Danny

• nc_crn
    11 years ago

Glad you're enjoying them and thanks for the feedback.

I wish I could send out some seeds to some this year, but I haven't done a good seed-replenishing grow out in quite a while. I plan on doing one this year, though I won't have any available seed until late-year 2013.

• jasmalka
    11 years ago

My mistake nc-crn, sorry I misread your post thinking it was a seed offer giveaway for now. They look great,yummm.
    I'd like to try them when you grow them out and have more seeds to trade.
    jas

• nc_crn
    11 years ago

This isn't my post. Rick (rdback) is making the offer. I'm the guy that bred them and I was just commenting that I wish I could also offer, but I don't have enough in volume to make an offer along with his.

• rdback
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Folks.

I have responded to all those who requested seeds. If you didn't get a response, e-mail me again.

Reyna1, send me your info again; I'm not sure I still have it.

nak10, since you followed the rules and DIDN'T ask for seeds, send me an e-mail with your info and I'll send you some, if you're interested. *smile*

This offer is now closed. Good luck and happy growing to all.

Rick

• rdback
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi folks.

I ran outta stamps argh!

The rest of the requests went out in this morning's mail.

Sorry for the delay. Enjoy.

Rick

Sponsored