Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dhelsdon

What is causing this damage?

Dhelsdon
10 years ago

Hi all,

I've got 3 ghost pepper plants that are fairly healthy for the most part, two of the three have some foliage damage.. this being the worst of the two. The other plant's damage is barely noticeable.

It looks like something has been munching on the leaves, or could it be 'wind burn'?

I don't know much about these guys, hence the post! :)

Comments (4)

• sjetski
    10 years ago

Something is up with the soil, an imbalance somewhere.

Are you using good, balanced & complete nutrients?

Mind you, it may not be simply a "lack of calcium". You may have enough calcium, but an imbalance somewhere else can cause it to be locked out and not flow up into the plant.

This problem is fairly common and tends to clear up when planted into the ground with good dirt, or potted up into a bigger container with fresh potting soil + good nutrients.

Almost forgot: during this minor problem phase, the plant is slightly more susceptible to leaf disorders (multiple points of entry for bacteria). Keep those leaves as dry as you can, unless you are spraying with some sort of proven treatment.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here: This fellow is having the same issue.

This post was edited by sjetski on Wed, May 22, 13 at 21:55

• robeb
    10 years ago

Looks like what was discussed here last year:

Here is a link that might be useful: mine outgrew it

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

Like Sjetski said âÂÂthis problem is fairly commonâÂÂ, I agreed. Lack of water or uneven watering also cause to nutrients locked out.
    Caelian

• Dhelsdon
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the advice guys, I've been using a good soil for the mix.. Sunshine Mix #4, While not Ideal type of soil for hot peppers, it's all I have at the moment.

I'll give each of the links a read, as for nutrients I've been using the Technaflora Recipe for Success. I start off using 1/4 of their recommended dosage and slowly bump it up to 3/4 strength, or until I see flowers then I begin flushing.

After giving those links a read I must agree that it's probably a calcium deficiency or a nute lock-out causing it. Could be irregular watering causing the Cal deff.

Here is a link that might be useful: Technaflora Recipe for Success

Sponsored