Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynnda_gw

How big do Habanero plants get?

lynnda
13 years ago

We started Chocolate Habaneros, a Chinese white?, and Bhut Jalokia indoors under lights in March and planted them out a couple weeks ago into very large planter pots, much more than 5 gallons size, 1 in each pot. Can I plant anything else like a petunia with them or would it be better to just leave them by themselves? And should I fertilize? I did put some bonemeal in the soil before planting. This is our first year of growing hot peppers. We put some in the ground also, just to see which does better. The pots get more sun, too much sometimes I think. They look pretty good so far.....

Comments (13)

• charlesnyc
    13 years ago

i'd leave them alone in 5 gals.

Here is a link that might be useful: good source of info

• romy6
    13 years ago

I have found the bigger the pot the larger they grow and the easier to keep them well hydrated. I live in Florida and the extreme heat is beating my plants. I have had to bundle my plants together and moved alot of them in more shady areas. They do not need 8 or more hours of full sun in my region. 4 or 5 is all they need.

• simsedward
    13 years ago

If you used good potting soil you should not need fertilizer. Io would not add any other plants to the pot.

• gardendawgie
    13 years ago

In zone 4 and 5 you want to put that pot into the hot sun all day as much as possible. You want the hot sun to warm up those roots for faster better growth. Florida is all different from zone 4 and 5.

In zone 4 and 5 the growth season will just be starting when it will seem like it is all over. Every day counts. You must provide all the warmth and perfect growing conditions possible to maximize the output. Now is the time to go for it.

• richardk_ny
    13 years ago

The larger the container and the most sun you can get them, the skies the limit! They can get 12 feet tall if done properly (hung from string, pruning), though typically in containers you will see them get no more than 3 feet tall, though they can get pretty wide even in a container!

Also there is a variety called the "Tree Habanero" because it grows VERY leggy and takes for-ever to fork (split). When mature it looks like a young apple tree (about 6 feet tall).

• nanelle_gw (usda 9/Sunset 14)
    13 years ago

I have a Jamaican Hot Chocolate in nursery a "3.5 gallon" pot, and a habanero in a large self watering pot ( might hold 40 quarts of soil) from gardeners supply, and the one in the self watering pot is at least three times larger at 18 inches tall and wide, about 4 weeks old. The Hot Chocolate is about 8 inches tall, and 5 inches wide. I grew a Hot Chocolate in the self watering pot last year, and it was probably three feet tall when I finally gave up on it in February. Not sure why, but it's pretty dramatic.

• simsedward
    13 years ago

I would leave them alone and forget the fertilizer.

• rootdoctor
    13 years ago

Boo Hiss on don't use fertilizers. I run my bhuts and other assorted chili plants in 9-16 gallon pots with an organic mix I build and let cook for a month before using. My plants have gotten up to 7 feet tall, and so wide I had to tie them up. Don't listen to others tell you you cannot do organics in containers either. It is a bit harder- especially the non chlorinated water supply, but the results far and away blow away anything else I have seen. Do what you want. You will learn what works best for you and you enjoy! TiMoTeO

• booberry85
    13 years ago

I overwintered my habanero & habanero de arbol plants last year (the chocolate hab got hit hard by aphids though.) I just stuck them in a sunny window and watered occasionally. They did not produce during the winter, but they are full of peppers now. Just something to consider being in Zone 4. Mine are each in 5 gallon pots. I gave them some new soil this year (that wasn't bound to the root ball. I left that alone) and just recently gave them some plant food (first time this year. I'll probably give them another dose in August). Happy pepper plants!

• cauchy
    13 years ago

For a nice chuckle, see my ultra-leggy 4-month old scotch bonnet:

It got leggy due to being indoors until a few days ago. It was getting too hot in my sunroom for fruit set. So, now it sits outside, tide to an old deck chair on four sides. I will likely pot it up for overwintering. It is a nice plant, though.

• ggodbey4
    9 years ago

Most of these things I see everyone post is untrue. I live I'm Florida and have 2 habanero plants in the same pot, they stay in the sun most of the day and I do fertilize them and they have grown over a foot within a months time. They have tons of buds on them. Everyone methods are different.

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

Posted by ggodbey4 ......Everyones methods are different.

Very true. Many things influence plant growth/fruit set - daylight hours, growth media material, fertilization, watering agenda, availability of root growth because of pot size, pollination, etc.

This post was edited by northeast_chileman on Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 15:46

Sponsored