Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sam_kx4sam

Canning / pickling peppers

sam_kx4sam
15 years ago

Ok, I am getting ready for (I hope) a nice harvest of hot peppers. I have already ordered a pressure cooker for caning pint size jars.

I hope some one in this group has pickled peppers with pressure canning, and can give some guidance.

Comments (14)

• smokemaster_2007
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

This recipe can be used for pickling a combination of vegetables including chiles and bell peppers. Choose whatever mixture you desire, as well as the amount and type of chiles, and arrange them attractively in a jar before covering with the pickling solution. Be aware that some vegetables such as olives and mushrooms absorb capsaicin well and can become quite hot.

Note: This recipe requires advance preparation.

Chiles: yellow hots, jalapes, serranos

Cauliflower, broken in flowerets

Broccoli, broken in flowerets

Zucchini, unpeeled and thinly sliced

Carrots, cut in coins or use baby carrots

Pearl onions, peeled and left whole

Garlic cloves, whole

Small button mushrooms, whole

½ part water

½ part vinegar

1 teaspoon salt per pint of liquid

Wash the chiles and prick with a toothpick. Arrange your choice of vegetables and chiles in sterilized jars.

Bring the water, vinegar and salt to a boil and allow to boil for one minute. Pour over the vegetables, leaving no head space, and cover.

Allow the mixture to pickle for at least 2 to 3 weeks in a cool, dark place before serving.

Yield: Varies

Heat Scale: Varies
    ===========================================================
    CAUTION
    When working with hot peppers, wear plastic gloves while handling them, or wash hands thoroughly with soap and water before touching your face.

TO PEEL PEPPERS
    Use one of the following methods to blister and peel peppers:

Oven or Broiler Method: Place peppers in a hot oven (400 °F) or broiler for 6 to 8 minutes until skins blister.

Range-Top Method: Cover hot burner, either gas or electric, with heavy wire mesh. Place peppers on burner for several minutes until skins blister.

Allow peppers to cool. Place in a pan and cover with a damp cloth. This will make peeling the peppers easier. After several minutes, peel each pepper.

CANNING PEPPERS
    Varieties: Hot or sweet, including chilies, jalapeno and pimiento.

Quantity: An average of 9 pounds is needed per canner load of 9 pints. A bushel weighs 25 pounds and yields 20 to 30 pints  an average of 1 pound per pint.

Quality: Select firm yellow, green or red peppers. Do not use soft or diseased peppers.

Procedure: Small peppers may be left whole; large peppers may be quartered. Remove cores and seeds; blister and peel peppers; flatten whole peppers. Add ½ teaspoon of salt to each pint jar, if desired. Fill jars loosely with peppers and add fresh boiled water, leaving 1-inch headspace.

Adjust lids and process half-pints or pints for 35 minutes at 11 pounds pressure in a dial gauge canner or at 10 pounds pressure in a weighted gauge canner.

PICKLED HOT PEPPERS
    Hungarian, banana, chili and jalapeno

Ingredients:

4 pounds hot, long red, green or yellow peppers

3 pounds sweet red and green peppers, mixed

5 cups vinegar (5 percent acidity)

1 cup water

4 teaspoons canning or pickling salt

2 tablespoons sugar

2 cloves garlic

Yield: About 9 pints

Procedure: Wash peppers. If small peppers are left whole, slash two to four slits in each; quarter large peppers. Blanch in boiling water or blister in order to peel. Flatten small peppers.

Fill jars, leaving ½-inch headspace. Combine and heat other ingredients to boiling and simmer 10 minutes. Remove garlic. Add hot pickling solution over peppers, leaving ½-inch headspace.

Adjust lids and process pints or half-pints for 10 minutes in a boiling water bath at an altitude of less than 1000 feet or for 15 minutes at an altitude of 1001 to 3000 feet.

MARINATED PEPPERS
    Bell, Hungarian, banana or jalapeno

Ingredients:

4 pounds firm peppers

1 cup bottled lemon juice

2 cups white vinegar (5 percent acidity)

1 tablespoon oregano leaves

1 cup olive or salad oil

½ cup chopped onions

2 cloves garlic, quartered (optional)

2 tablespoons prepared horseradish (optional)

Yield: About 9 half-pints.

Note: It is possible to adjust the intensity of pickled jalapeno peppers by using all hot jalapeno peppers (hot style) or blending with sweet and mild peppers (medium or mild style).

For hot style: Use 4 pounds jalapeno peppers.

For medium style: Use 2 pounds jalapeno peppers and 2 pounds sweet and mild peppers.

For mild style: Use 1 pound jalapeno peppers and 3 pounds sweet and mild peppers.

Select your favorite peppers. Peppers may be left whole; large peppers may be quartered. Wash, slash two to four slits in each pepper and blanch in boiling water or blister in order to peel tough-skinned hot peppers. After peppers are peeled, flatten whole peppers.

Mix all remaining ingredients in a saucepan and heat to boiling. Place one-quarter garlic clove (optional) and ¼ teaspoon salt in each half-pint or ½ teaspoon per pint. Fill jars with peppers; add hot, well-mixed oil/pickling solution over peppers, leaving ½-inch headspace.

Adjust lids and process half-pints and pints for 15 minutes in a boiling water bath at altitudes of less than 1000 feet. If at an altitude of 1001 to 3000 feet, process for 20 minutes.

PICKLED BELL PEPPERS
    Ingredients:

7 pounds firm bell peppers

3½ cups sugar

3 cups vinegar (5 percent acidity)

3 cups water

9 cloves garlic

4½ teaspoons canning or pickling salt

Yield: About 9 pints

Procedure: Wash peppers, cut into quarters, remove cores and seeds, and cut away any blemishes. Slice peppers in strips. Boil sugar, vinegar and water for one minute. Add peppers and bring to a boil. Place one-half clove of garlic and teaspoon salt in each sterile half-pint jar; double the amounts for pint jars. Add pepper strips and cover with hot vinegar mixture, leaving ½-inch headspace.

Adjust lids and process 5 minutes in a boiling water bath at altitudes of less than 1000 feet. Process 10 minutes at altitudes of 1001 to 3000 feet.

• User
    15 years ago

sam kx4sam,

You should definately checkout the Harvest Forum (link below) here on GardenWeb.

Lots of friendly and very experienced folks there can help you with both recipes and canning safty advice.

Best of luck with your canning adventure! I got hooked a few years ago.

Bill

Here is a link that might be useful: Harvest Forum

• rdback
    15 years ago

I agree with Bill - the Harvest Forum is the place to go - nice, knowledgeable folks over there. I'll be there later this summer myself! Anyway, the first thing they'll tell you is a Pressure COOKER is not the same as a Pressure CANNER. Pop on over there - they'll help you out.

• love2troll
    15 years ago

I prefer boiling water bath canning for peppers whenever possible. Be very sure to use only approved recipes and keep the the vinegar to veggies ratio exact or higher.

Here is a link that might be useful: The National Center for Home Food Preservation

• mattemom
    15 years ago

as pickling, i dont know if this applies.
    i just save old hot sauce bottles,(red bull, louisianna or such) boil them out. fill with small peppers, i use cayene, to the neck, fill with vinegar and seal with cork, (get those at fishing store). use for pepper sauce or pick the peppers out to eat, my family likes them better than store bought. good luck

• love2troll
    15 years ago

Another good site:

Here is a link that might be useful: www.ext.colostate.edu

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    15 years ago

Here is a great canning recipe for Jalapenos. I probably made over 50 pints last year.

Recipe: Bread and Butter Jalapenos

This makes a very tasty and spicy addition to almost any meal.
    Bread and Butter Jalapenos
    4 lbs jalepeno peppers
    2 lbs onions
    3 cups vinegar
    2 cups sugar
    2 Tbs mustard seed
    2 tsp turmeric
    2 tsp celery seed
    1 tsp ginger
    Wash and cut jalapenos and onions into thin slices and cold pack into jars (I would suggest a pair of rubber gloves for handling jalapenos, personal experience!). Place remaining ingredients in large saucepot and bring to a boil. Pour hot mixture into jars,leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Adjust caps. Process 10 minutes in boiling water
    bath. Yield: about 7 Pints.

I always make 1.5 batches of brine, there never seems to be enough. I also run everything through a food processor. It makes it alot easier to prepare.

Good Luck!

• ralph31558
    15 years ago

I rember having some red cherry peppers,wich were stuffed
    and jared in oil.Does anyone know how to do this, and how to make the stuffing.I do have some growing in my garden, and i would love to do jar them.

• andy9999
    15 years ago

I would like to use Hungarian wax and pepperroncini for canning,
    should I wait for Hungarian wax to turn read ?
    What about peppoeroncini,what color it should turn too

• love2troll
    15 years ago

I remember that ksrogers of the Harvest forum is expert with pepperoncini. I'll bet that if you started a thread with pepperoncini in the subject line that he would quickly respond.

For best flavor and heat of any pepper it is best let them fully ripen. (my personal opinion) However, people sometimes have a preference for unripe pods. Jalapeños are often eaten green and some frying peppers are quite good when immature. I like green sweet peppers in my salsas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Harvest

• sam_kx4sam
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Saving left over brime. I may only be doing 2-3 pints at a time. If I make a full batch of brime, can it be saved in the fridge until needed again?

• love2troll
    15 years ago

> Saving left over brime. I may only be doing 2-3 pints at a time. If I make a full batch of brime, can it be saved in the fridge until needed again?

I see no reason why not. What method/recipe did you decide on?

jt

• david52 Zone 6
    15 years ago

One aspect to watch out for is seeding the things before canning them. If you don't, and have a bit too many seeds in there, then thats the flavor that comes through, not the pepper. A few summers ago, I canned a half a dozen pint jars stuffed full of Thai Dragon peppers along with salt, black pepper, dill seed and French tarragon. I do this with just about every pickle, so I thought it would work out.

I let it mellow a year, opened it up, it smelled great, but absolutely no flavor - just heat and an after-taste of seed shell. It's awful. Next time, I'll seed them first.

• mhargraves
    15 years ago

My favorite recipiet, is to use equal parts of cider vinegar and water, 1 tsp of salt per pint, 1 full dill head, 1 large clove of garlic halved (both go in), and then boil water & vinegar, put salt in pint jar along with peppers, dill and garlic; pouring the brine on top leaving about 1/4" of air.

Some things I found helpful is to use milder (green) peppers, poke two holes (using a toothpic) into bottom and top of pepper.