Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chicosuave86

what is wrong with my jolokia?

ChicoSuave86
10 years ago

Hey everyone,

I have gathered quite a bit of great information and tips since discovering this forum. For that, I thank you all.

I have a jolokia plant that has something going on with it. I came home from work to find the new growth looking like this!

{{gwi:1185111}}

Anyone have a clue what might have caused this??

Thanks,

Daniel

Comments (16)

• robeb
    10 years ago

Happens often with young plants. Usually they outgrow it.

• don555
    10 years ago

I agree with robeb, I had that on some plants last year and was worried it was some kind of virus or something, but they grew out of it and produced well.

• hillseeker
    10 years ago

If the new leaves are curled on a bhut, but the older leaves are not affected it's most likely a calcium deficiency. Superhots need lots of calcium. You can supplement with Cal-MG but if you are organic I don't have an idea. Still experimenting myself. I'll take a pic of my Habanero that is having the same problem and upload it so you can compare.

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

I agree with HillSeeker, usually some super hot chilies have this similar problems. The time older leaves have grown it got enough calcium/nutrients in the soil. After it consumed all the Calcium/nutrients the new leaves started having problems of nutrients deficiency and started deformed. I do not consider it is normal because all the super hot chilies are not growing this way. These deformed leaves will remained as long as they are there. To fix the problems for the new growth I do proper water and feeding fertilizer. When the soil are too dry in the root ball there is possibility of nutrients locked out. When the plant got the nutrients in needs then the new leaves grow nice and healthy. Still I have some very young, if you are interested I can upload the pictures here too.

Caelian

This post was edited by chilliwin on Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 4:42

• robeb
    10 years ago

here we go again:

Here is a link that might be useful: wrinkled leaves

• ChicoSuave86
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Robeb and don555.

The reason I was concerned is that this is the only one out of my group of 13 jolokias that is exhibiting this growth pattern. It happened literally during the day while I was at work. I came home and noticed the new leaves on the very top puckered in considerably! If you can imagine; the leaves looked normal and were broad upon leaving for the day.

Thanks Hillseeker and Chilliwin.

As far as it being a cal-mag issue; It could be. My only reason for thinking it may not be is that it is the only one out of 13 with this. They are all in the same medium, same size containers, same feedings/waterings, etc. I will keep an eye on this though!

Thanks for your help everyone. I will see how the plant fairs in the next little while!

Daniel

• robeb
    10 years ago

Puckered leaf discussions come up here every year.

Young plants that are adjusting to the heat, wind & humidity of the spring & summer react in different ways.

You said one plant out of 13 growing in the same medium has this problem. Doubtful that it's a calcium- mag shortage. Many folks on pepper & tomato websites attribute most un-perfect foliage to calcium deficiencies.

Wait it out, I think you'll be surprised.

This post was edited by robeb on Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 16:45

• ChicoSuave86
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I certainly agree with you in regards to the deficiency theory. I didn't feel that was very likely at all, as they are all in the same environment.

I wasn't sure if it was due to some disease or virus, however.

I will certainly not bother them, if all seems normal!

Thanks,

Daniel

• tsheets
    10 years ago

I don't think it's normal at all, but, it's common. I have heard lots of theories in lots of situations. Sometimes, they even work! ;-) But, the one thing I wonder is how effective was the treatment and how much was just growing out of it or the weather becoming more favorable.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Lots of different causes mentioned already.
    Pest attack is another (might have been mentioned).

Josh

• Jeff_H
    10 years ago

leaves used to look normal, then one day while you are at work, you come home and see this on only one plant of 13 identical ones. Is that an accurate account of events?

Sounds like you have mites. Either broad mites or spider mites.

Calcium deficiency would be when the new baby leaves grow in deformed and wrinkled, not when it happens over night. Calcium isn't one of the nutrients that moves around in the plant, it is either there when the leaf forms or it isn't and the leaf is permanently deformed.

• robeb
    10 years ago

Mite damage would show discolored areas, not just wrinkled leaves.

• hillseeker
    10 years ago

I am growing 19 chili's, many superhots, each one I grew myself and were started at 2 different times. They are all in the exact same greenhouse environment, soil, watering, feeding schedule etc. Maybe 2-3 peppers show the calcium deficiency for me. I never had all my superhots show calcium deficiency at the same time. Each plant has different needs depending on the size, number of blossoms, number of fruit, and growth spurts. If the leaves curled almost instantly that seems more like a pest problem but they should be clearly evident for that much damage that quickly. Agree that spider mites would be clearly evident with webs and discoloration.

However, if it's only the new growth that is exhibiting this I still lean towards calcium deficiency. The curled leaves will not hurt the plant, but I believe they can affect the overall production if it continues to lack cal-mg. Someone please correct me if necessary...

• Bill106
    10 years ago

Hey Dan, I'm having the same problem with several of my Ghosts and Habs. I found little white flecks on the underside of the leaves. I took a plant in to a local greenhouse. They said spider mites. I have been battling them for the last 10 days with Bon-Neem spray. Unfortunately many of the small leaves have yellowed and the buds have died. I trimmed off what I felt I should to let the plant get healthy. This problem is new to me and I'm afraid that my production will be bad. Your plant looks like you may have caught it early. We had a bad, slow spring in WI which forced me to use my garage a lot at night and during crappy weather. I container grow and it was suggested the damp dark garage may have caused the mites to flourish. does anyone else have experience with this i.e. did the plant die or lack good production etc... Good luck Dan. Bill

• hillseeker
    10 years ago

Two years ago I had a major infestation of spider mites. Not sure where they came from but boy did they rapidly multiply. I used azanax/neem oil. I had tried others without remedy. Hope this helps!

• robeb
    10 years ago

Spider mites like it hot & dry. I doubt that a damp garage would cause them to flourish.

The op's pic does not look like spider mite damage.

This post was edited by robeb on Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 13:49

Sponsored