Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gltrap54

Scorpion Pics.....

gltrap54
11 years ago

Suffering some blossom drop due to this torrid heat, but I'm still putting on peppers..........

{{gwi:1193730}}

{{gwi:1193731}}

Comments (29)

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

Which variety of Scorpion? Plants look awesome and healthy.

• gltrap54
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks habjolokia! Those would be Trinidad Scorpion, Butch T. Flyin by the seat of my pants here...... Forced these seeds on a whim from a packet of prolly 20 seeds & these two were the only ones that germinated. Experienced gardener, but new to both container gardening as well as the very hot peppers..... Not sure what I'll do with the peppers, once they're ready LOL

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

My concern and why I asked is because TS Butch T should have a tail and those don't look to have.

To get an idea I provided the link. Once there click on Seeds then click on Caribbean Nuclear section.

It still may be a Scorpion but not Butch T

Mark

Here is a link that might be useful: THSC

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

Yeah, I hate to break it to you, but those aren't Butch T's.

For one, that colored one is brown. Butch T's only come in red. For another, none of those have the distinctive scorpion tail the breed was named for.

Here's pictures of my scorpions, notice the difference?

• romy6
    11 years ago

I would have too agree not a scorp. More like a chocolate hab?

But not all scorpions have a tail.

• homefry319
    11 years ago

@Edymnion thanks for posting that picture, thats exactly what mine look like and I was expecting more of a scorpion tail(first year growing them)

• gltrap54
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hmmmmmmmm......... Well I'll be damned! Sure bursted my bubble..... Pepper Joe's wouldn't jerk me around, now would they ?

• homefry319
    11 years ago

@handsome54 check this link..... They may have

Here is a link that might be useful: Here

• gltrap54
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks homefry! Yeah another noob (me) has been dumped on! I'll know better next year! Shame folks have to be so dishonest!!!

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

Use these guys instead, they're top notch (even if their website isn't).

http://www.thehippyseedcompany.com/

• homefry319
    11 years ago

@Handsome54

luckily I had a bhut from last year that I overwintered then cloned so I still have a few 5 plants

Im pretty sure the Butch T I bought from them are actually 7pods they don't have that defined scorpion tail, although 1 of my "bhut" seeds I got from them is def a scorpion of type

and the yellows I bhut from them make me wonder, they look like bhuts kind of but they see to be a little fatter, but there are smaller peppers that look right

@Edymnion Already have a order written out

• mbellot
    11 years ago

Homefry - How did you clone your Bhut?

I've tried numerous approaches and they all eventually end in death, although some of them have lived more than three months before giving up...

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

He must have sold his soul to clone a bhut. I tried everything I knew to do that and had nothing but two dozen dead cuttings to show for it.

• homefry319
    11 years ago

Hey guys Ill start a new thread on cloning bhuts so were not hijacking @handsome54's thread

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

homefry:
    If you are going to start a thread on cloning Bhuts, then you first must prove it a Bhut you are cloning. You will have to pick a ripe pepper, show it on film, then eat it while filming the whole thing. Otherwise, some might be skeptical.

Bruce

• mbellot
    11 years ago

Bruce - You are an evil man.

Must be all that airborne cheese...

:P

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Yes, I live here and have to deal with the pundgent air quality but I don't like it...much better atmosphere across the western boarder IMO.
    {{gwi:1193733}}

Bruce

• User
    11 years ago

Handsome54,

There are definitely mixed reviews on Pepper Joe. I know he does not exclusively sell seed he collects from his own crops. He purchases seed from other sources. I don't know whether or not he grows any out to check purity before reselling (see link below).

When I purchased TS ButchT seed last fall I went to Neil at the Hippy Seed Company. He played a role in getting the Guiness record for the ButchT so I figured he would have the real deal. My plant is not far enough along to say whether the pods are growing true.

When I purchased my first Bhut Jolokia seed, I went to the record obtaining source i.e. NNSU CPI. You can't go wrong buying from them, they practice the proven rules for isolation and growing out for stability. On very rare occasions you may get mutant seed like Edymnion did with his Halloween ornamental but it's very rare (the Halloween was really the first case "I" have seen). Of course they don't carry every variety you may want.

There are three rules I'd suggest when buying seed;

1) NEVER buy off of eBay;
    2) research the heck out of vendors on forums like this one. You're spending time and effort growing so you may as well avoid purchasing from questionable vendors to begin with;
    3) Check here. The good folks on this forum are a wealth of information AND are a great source for seed (trades and donations).

Your pods in the second photo do not look like Scorpion to me, 7 Pot maybe? That being said, you can and probably will get some pod variation on the same plant.

I'm planning on replenishing and expanding my Trinidad varieties this fall. FWIW, I'll be getting my seed from Judy at pepperlover.com. I have not used her yet but I've seen nothing but positive reviews. She has the best variety of Trinidadian seeds I've come across in one place to boot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sourcing seed

• steven1032
    11 years ago

the plant looks like a choc hab and so do the peppers.

• homefry319
    11 years ago

@ottawapeppr

So butch t's don't always have that defined tail? I have to plants where neither of the peppers have that tail, but there are only like 5 peppers total so I haven't said I've be screwed(yet)

• User
    11 years ago

homefry319,

I'm not sure where I suggested ButchT's don't always have a tail? If a plant is true you can occasionally get a few pods that don't exhibit characteristic traits (shape and/or heat heat intensity) but the majority will. All Scorpions including ButchT's should have a tail formation.

It looks like your pods are far enough along that most should have a tail forming. I don't think you're growing ButchT's.

• homefry319
    11 years ago

ottawapepper,

it was in another thread(where you posted the plate of pepper) when all of mine start to turn color Ill post pictures theres a few that confuse me

I do have at least 1 scorpion tailed pepper(that was spouse to be a bhut)

My two butch t's look more like 7 pods but theres only like 3-4 peppers per plant

then I have the one I posted in my other thread "Smooth Bhuts" which looks like a habanero

• User
    11 years ago

Ah, you're referring to I remember a post last year regarding the TS Morouga where Smokemaster commented that he's seen a lot of pod variations out there. I commented that I'd be hard pressed to distinguish between the 7 Pots and Scorpions I grew if they were laid out in front of me.

At the risk of blathering on...

I was referring to similarities between some varieties I've grown from a vendor. I also stated that a couple of varieties from the same vendor consistently grew true.

At the risk of getting smoked by Smokemaster, if I recall correctly the context of his comment was a lament about the bastardization of true varieties in a rush to hock the next greatest pepper. A few examples;

(a) some crooks will intentionally pass off common Hab seed as "X" variety to inexperienced growers. Some of these growers pass along saved seeds to others as "X". Now you have mis-identified plants in the causing confusion amongst growers.

(b) some vendors may source seed from suppliers who knowingly or unknowingly collected seed them from parent plants grown in a non-isolated environment and crossing takes took. These seeds hit the market and get spread causing confusion amongst growers.

(c) it takes AT LEAST eight generations of isolated growing and weeding out of non standard plants to produce a stable variety. In a rush get the next greatest pepper variety to market to cash in, you get non stabilized varieties out there causing confusion amongst growers. (Remember the hype around the Naga Viper. Many, including myself, questioned its stability and testing for its SHU rating but the vendor still made a few bucks. I and others vary well be may be wrong but you don't hear much about it now do you.)

(d) etc. etc. etc.

Bottom line, on a true plant it's not uncommon to get a couple of pods that don't exhibit standard traits but the majority should. The question is do you have a true stabilized plant to begin with?

The ButchT is a stable variety that has been spread amongst enthusiast for years. Being stabilized, a true ButchT will always exhibit the same pod traits. Do you have a "true ButchT"? It all depends upon the lineage of your seed.

Ah, the complicated pepper world we live in. Keeps things interesting though ;-)

• homefry319
    11 years ago

@handsome54, here more crap that Im dealing because I don't trust any the seed I got from pepper joes this year

@ottawapepper it hahah thanks for the info, I was referring to a more recent thread(habjolokia started)

anywhere I decided to snap some photos the first two photos are different plant that came from the packet label "butch t" they look more like 7 pods to me

{{gwi:1193735}}

now these to photos came from the packet label "Bhut Jolokia" now I know there some type of scorpion but what I dono

{{gwi:1193736}}

{{gwi:1193737}}

on a side note, Ive already made a list from The Hippie Seed Company and plan to order, then I will most likely be bagging and saving my own seeds

• gltrap54
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I hear ya homefry319! I already learned a great deal just hanging out here. One of those things being "know your seed supplier"........

Still not sure what I've grown.......

{{gwi:1193738}}

• homefry319
    11 years ago

Those look like habeneos to me, how hot are they?

• homefry319
    11 years ago

habaneros****

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

Yes Habanero's

And what to do with Habaneros

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

Turn them into this

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group