Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
locoguy

PETOMATO. anyone else tried this?

locoguy
9 years ago

Saw this toy online and decided to give it a try.

Comments (36)

• locoguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pic 2

• locoguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pic3

• avidgardener25
    9 years ago

How exactly is it made??

• locoguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think u could get a better explanation looking up a video on youtube. Petomato. But basically is this little tube that u can put on any waterbottle and grow ur plants from seed there. Let me see if I could find a pic from when I started the seed. Its supposed to be a habanero plant.

• locoguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another pic

• locoguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Flowers are coming along. Lets see if this thing actually produces peppers

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Could you make one with the larger soda bottles? Wouldnt it be better for the roots?

• locoguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I keep this plant inside somewhere where i cannot adjust the distance between the plant and the light. A big soda bottle would make it too tall. I also like changing the water once a week, so with a small bottle i dont waste as much water/fertilizer

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Okay, I'm confused. Where does the tomato part come in?

Dennis

• locoguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thats just the name of the gadget. But they sell it with other seeds too. Im doing this one with a habanero.

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

I have a question about this "system" but didn't want to start a new thread. Basically it is a small version of Pepper_Ranchers dual pot system, correct?

TIA
    NECM

• locoguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not sure how that pepper ranchers system works. I googled it, but nothing came up. Whats on the top pot?

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

There are two methods I've read about, "wicking" and "rooting". Wicking involves one pot inside another with the inside pot full of growing media that has a wick between the water with nutrients in the outside pail. Rooting has hydroponic media in the inside pot and the roots grow directly into the water as seen in the OP's pictures.

I assume Pepper_Ranchers method is a wicking system (Note holes in outside pail.) and the link below is the rooting system (Reading the description reports "the plant eventually drops roots directly into the solution" or I could be wrong on either one. Both systems feed the plant without pumps or aerators which is what I'm looking to accomplish.

NECM

Here is a link that might be useful: Pepper Plant growing in an off grid hydroponics container

This post was edited by northeast_chileman on Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 10:16

• locoguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Seems like a fun project. What are the holes on the outside for? Is there a tutorial somewhere?

thanks

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

There appears to be many variations of the two different systems, this one appears to be a cross between wick & root with no holes to drain for rooting system:

And this one a standard wick system

:

Wick System
    The simplest type of hydroponic system is the wick system. This type of system has no moving parts at all. It works exactly the same way that a oil lamp or tiki torch works, by wicking up the liquid as itâÂÂs being used. Although it can be constructed many different ways and out of many different materials, the basic function still remains the same. The plant is placed in the growing medium, and the growing medium is kept moist from the wick. The wick is simply made from a strip of a highly absorbent material like felt or cotton. The wick runs through the growing medium and out the bottom of the container into the nutrient reservoir. As the plants drink up the moisture in the growing medium, the wick continually sucks up moisture, keeping the growing medium moist with the nutrient solution.

Note the difference between the illustrations is the level of the water/nutrient level as one deep and assume immersed in the solution & one uses a wick to draw it up to potting media.

NECM

This post was edited by northeast_chileman on Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 6:14

• locoguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

For some reason the first picture is not showing

• seysonn
    9 years ago

very nice.

This post was edited by seysonn on Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 2:47

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

Fixed.

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

Pepper_Rancher, got any pictures of your 2 pot system, wicking & rooting area specifically?

TIA
    NECM

• TNKS
    9 years ago

Per the OP its called ghetto hydro

• locoguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Putting out a lot of flowers

• locoguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not bad. Wish I had grown one of the superhots. This one is a habanero.

• locoguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Peppers started to turn colors, and putting out more flowers. I recently started doing something similar with the superhots. I took cuttings from the plants outside and put them in water with the nutrients and they seem to be doing pretty good.

• siouxzin
    9 years ago

What is the time frame from first planting the seeds to the current photo?

Also, do you cover the bottle so the roots are not exposed to light?

• locoguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Started them on June 1st. I always have the bottle covered. I wrap a sheet of paper around it. I only take it off for pictures.

• locoguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not sure why, but it started to grow a whole bunch of peppers all of a sudden

• locoguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Picture from further back

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Huh. Who would'a thunk it?

Cool.

• djoyofficial
    9 years ago

Maybe it's just the Bhut blossom tea talking.... THANKS Loco for all of your contributions to the site..... LMFAO! Please tell me that I am not the only one that sees through this lame advertising scheme.

Sure, we can learn a lot from hydro style growing. Fact is, its novel and your never going to get much out of it. Full soil with or without synthetic ferts or full on hydro (pumps for fluid and maybe aeration) is the only way your going to get anything respectable.... The rest fall into the... Chia pet category.

Thanks for al of your contributions Loco@#$%

dj

This post was edited by djoy on Thu, Oct 9, 14 at 1:37

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

LMFAO! Please tell me that I am not the only one that sees through this lame advertising scheme.

Somehow I don't think LocoGuy is getting a cut of sales from the manufacturer from this blurb. Some may see it as an alternative to traditional methods of overwintering to get a jump start on next season. Others may see it as an enthusiastic chile grower providing a report on alternative growing system from the time consuming and expensive systems you noted, "Full soil with or without synthetic ferts or full on hydro (pumps for fluid and maybe aeration) is the only way".

That sweet tea sure put you in a sour mood aj!

This post was edited by northeast_chileman on Thu, Oct 9, 14 at 17:25

• locoguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Im just new to this whole kratky method, and I like how low maintenance it is. It even worked from a cutting i took off of a carolina reaper i have outside in soil (from PJ). From the time i took the cutting until now it had been about 5 weeks. The plant outside has not grown a dingle pepper. I found this link on youtube that made want to give it a try. http://youtu.be/GDxgBu7OlGU

Here is a link that might be useful: kratky peppers

• locoguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Still going strong.....

• locoguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not sure what this one is. I used a can of tennis balls.

• locoguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Close up

• locoguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another I dont know what it is. Used a 2 gallon bucket. Its supposed to be either a ghost or a reaper, but from the looks Im not sure.

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

Note on page 3 they use a 4 liter bottle.> A Suspended Pot, Non-Circulating Hydroponic Method ,

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH