Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmforcier_gw

Your favorite recipes here.

DMForcier
11 years ago

In lieu of a sticky thread, maybe we can keep this one bouncing up to the top for a while.

---------

Here's one I invented last night, using fatalii. The taste of fatalii is described as "citrusy", but raw I never quite got that. Tastes like habanero to me. (A first taster said that the first note is sweet. Fair enough.) Last night I noticed an avocado and decided to use fatalii in a recipe that wants citric acid: guacamole.

1 Haas avocado

1/2 to 1 fatalii pepper (amount to taste) minced fine

1/2 tsp garlic powder (a clove or two of fresh garlic, crushed is better)

1 Tbsp salsa (optional, but I like it)

1 tsp or so of lemon juice (try it without first)

Smash all together. Salt to taste (probably unnecessary).

Simple, but one of the best batches of guacamole I've ever had. The avocado seems to moderate and spread the heat at the same time, and the "hab" flavor is a perfect complement to the other ingredients. I also got a hint of orange rind - that previously missed citrus note.

Try it on skillet-toasted flour tortillas.

Comments (47)

• peppernovice
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thank you for starting this thread! I been reduced to begging for recipes every time someone says they cooked something. :)

Tim

• jcav8ter
    11 years ago

My neighbors ask me to make these all the time. I also slice these thin lengthwise for use on sandwiches. A single 7 Pot gives great heat and flavor.

Refrigerator Garlic pickles

INGREDIENTS
    � 3-4 Pickling Cucumbers sliced in half or quartered
    � 5 Fresh Dill Sprigs
    � 3-4 Clove Garlic crushed
    � 1/2 Cup Distilled White Vinegar
    � 1 1/4 Cup Water
    � 1 Tbs Salt
    � 1/2 Tsp Sugar
    � 1/2 Tsp Dill Seed
    � 1/2 Tsp Mustard Seed
    � 1/2 Tsp Coriander Seed
    � 1 Pepper of your choice, cut in half
    � 1/2 Tsp Celery Seed
    � 1 Tsp Peppercorns
    � 1 Quart Canning Jar

DIRECTIONS
    Mix water, vinegar, salt and sugar together in a pourable container until salt and sugar are dissolved. Arrange Dill sprigs and cucumbers in 1 quart canning jar, then drop in garlic cloves, sprinkle spices into jar, add liquid the water and vinegar mixture until jar is filled to rim. Put the lid on the jar and give it all a good shake. Refrigerate. Give it a taste test after 24 hours. If there are any left after 48 hours give them another taste, they will continue to pickle as they lay in waiting in the frig.

NOTE
    These pickles should be safe in the refrigerator for up to a month.

John

• DMForcier
    Original Author
    11 years ago

romy6's recipe from a nearby thread:

I have made my aji lemon sauce many ways. My favorite is this.

1 papaya
    10 aji lemons (less for less heat)
    3 Tbsp white vinegar
    1 Tbsp sugar
    dash of salt
    3 Tbsp lemon juice
    1/2 cup of water
    splash of garlic powder
    quick shake of sage
    quick shake of dill
    Blend

boil for 20 minutes

blend again

jar it up.

• cheezdoodle12
    11 years ago

Haven't been at this long enough to know many recipes.. but my simple bowl of popcorn was really good tonight with cayenne powder sprinkled over it (along with some butter, oil, salt and pinch of sugar).

• DMForcier
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's a shot of my larder. Lots more on the plants. Obviously I've fallen behind in eating, so a campaign to clean out the fridge is underway. The jalapenos are getting a little long in the tooth, so first up is a batch of jalapeno poppers. This recipe was freely adapted from one by Emeril (he bakes his).

The stuffing

6-8 oz. cream cheese, softened
    1 1/2 c grated cheddar (or something else with some character), more or less as desired
    1/2 to 3/4 tsp ground cumin
    some heat - this time I used a whole fatalii, minced, but any powder would work
    some smoke - this time 1 chipotle in adobo, plus 1/4 tsp chipotle powder
    a little milk or buttermilk to soften the mixture (optional)
    salt to taste

Smoosh it all together and let sit for at least 30 minutes for the ingredients to get acquainted

The containers

12 jalapenos, blanched for 90-120 seconds, then cooled, split, and seeded

Overstuff with the cheese blend and refrigerate (to stiffen the cheese) while you prepare the fry.

The fry

1 pot of oil, heated to 350'. Use a fry thermometer and adjust the heat to keep at 350' without wandering. DO NOT allow the temperature to rise above 380', where the oil starts to break down quickly.

Prepare three dredging stations:

1 pan of flour, about 3/4 c, mixed with 1-2 T Essence (see below)
    1 pan of buttermilk, about 3/4 c (or use a couple eggs whisked with milk) mixed with 1-2 T Essence
    1 pan of panko, about 2 c, or unseasoned bread crumbs, about 1 1/2 c, mixed with 2-4 T Essence

For each popper, roll in the flour mix, then in the liquid, then in the flour again, then the liquid again, then the panko.

Drop into the oil and fry until golden brown, about 100 seconds. I do 3-4 at a time, prepping the next batch as one fries. You will have to raise the burner to keep the oil hot if you work this quickly.

Remove from the oil and move to a draining station. I use a wire rack inverted over paper towels in a sheet pan. Sprinkle with salt (optional).

Consume immediately. These do not refrigerate well. It is popular to serve with a hot/sweet dipping sauce. I take mine plain.

Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning)
    This is a good general purpose spice mix. Old Bay is a reasonable alternative.

2 1/2 T paprika
    2 T garlic powder
    1 T onion powder
    1 T cayenne pepper
    1 T dried leaf oregano, crushed
    1 T dried thyme, crushed
    2 T salt
    1 T black pepper, ground

• chilemilio
    11 years ago

another use for whatever chile sauce you have around. makes for a good marinade for skirt steak (or any other meat you cook at extremely high temps), and as a side sauce.

scallions (5 or so)
    big bunch of cilantro
    1 can (~1+ cup coconut milk) [or 1c buttermilk for 'less asian']
    1 tsp toasted coriander seed
    1/2 tsp toasted white peppercorns
    2-3 cloves garlic
    2+ tablespoons chile sauce (or.. as much as you want)
    spice mixture to your taste (1/2 tsp curry or other)
    raw chiles for added heat (at your discretion and tolerance)

the original one my wife used has 1/2 tsp curry powder for the 'spice mixture', but i think it depends on your choice of chile sauce, and what taste profile you are looking to enhance the cilantro/scallion mix. If you have thai ingredients at home(galangal, garlic, dried chiles, ginger, etc..) that would count as a spice mixture also.

anyways, you puree it as much as possible (grind the seeds before adding to the blender for best results). use 2/3 of it for it as a marinade, and 1/3 of it as a side sauce. just don't forget to salt the meat right before cooking.

• DMForcier
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Somehow the pic of my larder got lost from the poppers post above. I wonder how well serrano poppers would work?

• peppermeister1
    11 years ago

Mojo Marinade - without a doubt, my go to marinade for all types of tacos. I keep a jar of minced garlic and my chiles just so i can make this quicker.
    Ingredients:
    1/2 cup Olive Oil
    6-8 Large Cloves Garlic, thinly sliced crosswise
    2 teaspoons Ground Cumin
    1/3 cup Lime Juice
    1/3 cup Orange Juice (or grapefruit)
    2 teaspoons Course Salt, or more to taste
    1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
    1 teaspoon mexican Oregano
    1/3 cup chopped Fresh Cilantro
    1 chopped Habanero chile (any citrus hot chile)
    2-4 sliced Jalapenos or Serrano chiles
    Optional:
    1/4 cup tequila

Directions:
    Heat olive oil in a sauce pan with garlic, chile peppers and cumin until garlic becomes tan and fragrant. Do not burn it.
    Once the garlic is ready, add all of the other ingredients (except cilantro) and bring to a steady boil for 2 minutes.
    Remove from heat and let cool before adding chopped cilantro.
    Pour over any meat and marinate for at least 90 minutes.
    Grill or roast meat and prepare for glory.

Here is a link that might be useful: PEPPERMEISTER! Hot Pepper Gardening, Recipes and Chile Info

• ottawapepper
    11 years ago

DMForcier,

Great idea to group various recipes in one post. Here are my favorites. Most have been posted in various threads in the past. Actually, I'm simmering our first batch of Hotter than Heinz Ketchup on a burner outside and my GF is working on our first batch of Annie's Salsa as I type this. Both recipes included below.

---------------------------------------------------------

Jamaican Jerk Pork (or Chicken) Tenderloin

I've found this recipe comes as close to authentic Jamaican Jerk than any other I've tried. I always end up doing two versions; one with two Scotch Bonnets for the GF and one with 12 for me ;-) A friend found the recipe in a Weight Watchers recipe book.

This fiery barbecue was invented by the Maroons, or runaway slaves, as a means of preserving meats without refrigeration. The more Scotch bonnet peppers you use, the more authentic the flavor. Use one pepper for a mildly spicy dish and four for a very spicy dish. (To approximate the heat of the authentic jerk marinade, you would have to use 12 Scotch bonnet peppers.) Here, we butterfly the pork to increase the surface area for the marinade to penetrate. This recipe will also work with pork loin and chicken breasts, wings and thighs.

2 cups coarsely chopped green onions
    1/2 cup coarsely chopped onion
    2 tablespoons white vinegar
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    2 teaspoons kosher salt
    2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
    2 teaspoons brown sugar
    1 teaspoon ground allspice
    2 teaspoons chopped peeled fresh ginger
    1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 - 12 Scotch Bonnet or Habanero peppers, seeded and chopped
    1 (1 1/2 pound) pork tenderloin, trimmed or, 1 1/2 pound Chicken thighs.
    Cooking spray

1. Place first 15 ingredients in a blender or food processor; process until smooth. Pour into a large zip-top plastic bag.
    2. Slice pork lengthwise, cutting to, but not through, other side. Open halves, laying each side flat. Slice each half lengthwise, cutting to, but not through, other side; open flat.
    3. Add pork to marinade in bag; seal bag, and marinate in refrigerator 3 to 24 hours. Remove pork from bag; discard marinade.
    4. Prepare grill.
    5. Place pork on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 8 minutes on each side or until meat thermometer registers 160F (slightly pink).

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 3 ounces pork).

Annie's Salsa

Of course I have to include the probably most cited Salsa recipe on the Web. Developed by annie1992 from the Harvest Forum it's a great salsa. You can sub other peppers for the Bell and Jalapeno as long as the volume remains the same.

Here's a current link: Annie's Salsa

Caribbean BBQ Sauce

This recipe produces a thin sweet & citricey hot sauces good with Pulled Pork, Chicken, and just about anything else you like.
    It can be easily double or triple batched and stored in the freezer. The Honey will prevent it from freezing solid.

1 or 2 scotch bonnet or hotter (fresh or dried)
    1 cup orange juice
    1 cup honey
    1/3 cup soy or Worcestershire sauce
    1 TBS ginger (1/8 - 1/4 tsp powder)
    1/2 tsp allspice
    2 cloves garlic (1/4 - 1/2 tsp powder)
    1 tsp dried thyme (1 TBS fresh)

Blend together well in food processor or blender and then simmer in sauce pan for 5-10 minutes.
    Let stand in fridge overnight for fullest flavor.

Jolokia Mango Sauce

This sauce works great with fish or chhicken.

Ingredients

1 Tbls. olive oil
    4 mangoes - peeled, cored, diced
    1 small onion - chopped
    1 Bhut Jolokia chili pepper pod - stem removed and chopped
    1/4 cup lemon or lime juice
    2 Tbls. tomato paste
    1/4 cup sugar
    salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1. Heat oil in a 2-quart saucepan. Add mangoes, onion and one, two, three, ??? Jolokia pod(s). Simmer over medium heat, stirring often, until onions are soft and translucent.
    2. Add lemon/lime juice, tomato paste/ketchup, and sugar. Simmer, stirring often, for 30 minutes.
    3. Remove pan from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
    4. Pour mixture into a blender and puree until smooth. If mixture is too thick, add pure Mango Juice in small amounts until you achieve a thick but still runny texture.
    5. Season with salt and pepper.
    6. You can chill until ready to serve or re-warm, good both ways.

Double Batch Habanero Gold Jelly

This recipe was developed by Carol (Readinglady) over on the Harvest Forum.
    It allows you to get double the traditional Habanero Gold jelly using half the pectin.
    You can sub any other chile for the Habaneros as long as the volume stays the same. Bhut Jolokia works really well!

1 cup minced dried apricots (1/8" dice) Note: Could use dried peaches or pears instead.
    1 1/4 total cups minced red sweet pepper and minced red onion (1/8" dice), approximately half-and-half.
    1/4 cup Habanero peppers (Note: For extra-hot, increase Habaneros to 1/2 cup and reduce red sweet pepper/red onion combination to 1 cup total.)
    1 1/2 cups white vinegar
    6 cups sugar
    1 3-oz. pouch liquid pectin.

Prep apricots, peppers and onion. Place in a large, stainless or other non-reactive pot. Add sugar and vinegar. Bring to the boil and cook 5 minutes. Pull off the burner; allow to cool, cover and let sit overnight.
    Stir occasionally if convenient.
    Note: 4-6 hours would be plenty, so the time doesn't need to be any greater than the soaking time for apricots in the original recipe.

Next day, bring the mixture back to the boil. Stir in liquid pectin. Boil hard 1 minute.

Pull off the heat. If necessary, skim foam. Let cool 2 minutes, stirring to distribute solids. Pour into jars. Stir to distribute and remove air bubbles. Do the usual with the jars and lids, BWB 10 minutes.

When jars are sealed and cooling, "agitate" them every once in a while to distribute solids throughout the jelly.

Yield: 6 8-oz. jars.

Turkey's Revenge

I developed this recipe by modifying the types of vinegars and peppers in a Cranberry Pepper recipe developed by Melly over on the Harvest Forum.
    I vetted the changes and some people trained in preservation felt it was OK to can.

Ingredients:

3/4 cup cider vinegar
    3/4 cup white vinegar
    2 cups 100% unsweetened cranberry juice (you can use the OceanSpray stuff in a pinch)
    1/2 cup finely diced habanero pepper
    1/2 cup finely diced red onion
    1 3/4 cups fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped
    1 pkg liquid pectin
    5 cups sugar

Procedure:

1. Finely dice peppers and onion and coarsely chop cranberries
    2. In a large sauce pan, combine cranberries, pepper, onion, vinegars, and juice
    3. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low
    4. Simmer 15 to 20 minutes to allow flavors to blend and to soften up cranberries
    5. Add sugar and return to a hard boil for 1 minute
    6. Remove from heat and stir liquid pectin in well
    7. Add jelly to hot sterilized jars
    8. Wipe rim of jars with a clean damp towel
    9. Position lids as per usual instructions
    10. Process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes
    11. Remove jars and allow them to cool
    12. During the cooling, periodically "gently" invert jars to distribute solids.

Yield 7 or 8 - 250ml (1 cup) jars

Raspberry Chipotle Steak Sauce

A steak sauce that really brings out the flavor of any type of grilled steak. It's best with grilled Filet Mignon or NY Strips. Raspberry jam is the twist that really makes this sauce unique.

Original recipe yield: 1 /2 cup. Can be easily doubled etc.

NOTE: use the sauce "after" you grill your steak. It's not meant to be used as a rub or baste.

INGREDIENTS:
    2 tablespoons raspberry jam
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    2 tablespoons tomato sauce
    2 tablespoons malt vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon Chipotle Chile Powder
    3 drops hot pepper sauce
    salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS:
    In a saucepan over high heat, blend raspberry jam, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce, malt vinegar, hot pepper sauce, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to low, and simmer 10 minutes, or until thickened.

Habanero Mustard

This recipe, as far as I'm aware, has not been vetted by certified canning instructors or officially tested as safe for canning but have enough acid to non-acid ingredients for my comfort zone. I've made both with great success.

3/4 cup yellow mustard seeds
    1/2 cup plus 2 1/2 tablespoons brown mustard seeds
    1 1/3 cup quality white wine
    1 1/3 cup white wine vinegar (you can use distilled white in a pinch)
    3 teaspoons of salt (I use canning salt, try to use something that's not iodized if you're going to can it)
    Habaneros to taste.

Combine all ingredients except the peppers in a non-reactive container, cover and place in the fridge overnight.

The next day, chop peppers coarsely and add the whole mess to the blender. Blend to desired consistency.

Sterilize jars and lids in boiling water.

Heat mustard just to boiling and fill jars to about 1/2 inch of head space, pop on the lids and process for 15 - 20 minutes in boiling water. Be sure to follow safe canning times for your altitude.

Chipotle Baked Beans

Ingredients:

6 strips of bacon (cut 1 inch lengths)
    2 1/2 cups chopped onion
    1 cup chicken broth
    1/3 cup packed brown sugar
    1/3 cup cider vinegar
    1/3 cup bottled chili sauce
    1/3 cup dark molasses
    2 tsp. dry mustard
    1 to 2 tsp. Chipotle Chile Powder
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. ground cloves
    1/4 tsp. ground allspice
    1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
    1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
    1 (15 oz) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
    Heat a cast iron pot over medium high heat. Add bacon, saute 2 min. Add onion, saute 5 min., stirring occasionally. Stir in broth and remaining ingredients. Bake uncovered at 325 for 1 hour.
    I do this recipe on my BGE indirect with Hickory smoke!
    Yields 5 servings of 1 cup each.

Hotter than Heinz' Ketchup

This is my favorite Ketchup recipe. Made it last year using my Grim Reaper pepper blend, this year I'm using ButchT powder!
    In addition to the instructions, I let the Ketchup cool a bit and puree it in a blender. It produces a smother Ketchup like you're used to. If you're not a fan of Malt Vinegar you can sub any other (distilled white, wine, etc) as long as it's 5%. You could also use a combination of vinegars as long as the volume equals 1.5 cups.
    I'm doing 2 maybe 3 batches this year. As soon as friends find out I've made it, it disappears ;-)
    I'm not sure about the lasting forever in the fridge. I'll be freezing my excess in small Tupperware containers and then popping it into a vacuum sealed bag.

See link below for the original Firey Foods recipe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hotter than Heinz' Ketchup

• chilemilio
    11 years ago

Nice collection! I think i'm going to have to try your jerk pork marinade

• DMForcier
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Recipes for:

Here is a link that might be useful: A whole thread of 'em

• DMForcier
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's a discussion with alternative recipes. I still haven't found the definitive one yet. Will keep trying. :D

Here is a link that might be useful: Chiles rellenos recipe?

• DMForcier
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This thread also includes good stuff on preparing peppers for cooking - puree, roasting, freezing.

Here is a link that might be useful: peppers in chili

• DMForcier
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I suppose there is a first time for everything. This is the first time I have regretted going to the bathroom after making pies.

The pumpkin pie on the left has most of a fatalii diced and mixed into half of the filling. I was hoping that I would be able to get that orange flavor note that came out in the fatalii guacamole. It didn't, and hab flavor doesn't go well with pumpkin flavor.

The one on the right has 1/8" serrano slices pushed into the top. This was much more successful. I do enjoy the flavor, but there is no synergy between pepper and pumpkin. Just two pleasant flavors in your mouth at the same time.

So cross these recipes off your list.

• IAmSupernova
    11 years ago

People in and around Texas might know what this sauce is. It comes from a restaurant called Taqueria Arandas. Very spicy but very good on practically anything. Very simple to make too.

Green Sauce

5 seranno peppers (diced)
    1 jalapeno (chopped)
    5 cloves garlic (whole)
    2 cups water and chicken parts (legs, wings, neck whatever to make a stock) -OR- thin broth (can be made from buillion cubes)
    Salt to taste

Add everything in a pan, simmer for 45 minutes (adding additional water as necessary). Turn up heat and rapidly boil until reduced to 1/2 cup liquid, remove chicken parts (if used) blend until turned into smooth sauce.

Easy to make when you need it (with bullion cubes/broth it can be made in about 25 mins) but I make a big batch and put it in little 1 oz cups with lids and freeze it. You can remove seeds/ribs from the peppers to decrease the level of spiciness as necessary. I usually seed about half the peppers.

• tsheets
    11 years ago

That's some "outside the box" thinking, DMF! haha! Habanero Cheesecake is pretty good, but, I'll steer clear of the spicy pumpkin pie. :-)

• DMForcier
    Original Author
    11 years ago

TTT

Links to other good recipe threads also welcome.

• cjohansen
    11 years ago

DMForcier: Great initiative! I love Jalapeno poppers.
    "there is no synergy between pepper and pumpkin"

I can't verify nor deny this, but I will add that there definitely is synergy between peppers and pumpkin seeds. I have a bottle of arbol/chiptole/pumpkin seeds in my fridge that is exquisite. Unfortunately I can't remember how I made it.

Speaking of chipotle, a friend of mine has a smoker. Looking forward to making my own if the summer is good enough to grant me a harvest from my Jalapenos.

My favorite hot sauce by far is Rick Bayless' habanero sauce. It's simply and extremely tasty:

5 cloves garlic, roasted on a skillet until blotchy black.

In a pot, combine:
    12 habaneros, deseeded and deveined
    1 medium carrot, diced (~1/2 cup)
    1 small white onion, diced (~1/2 cup)
    1 cup water
    1 cup apple cider vinegar

Simmer for about 10 minutes until carrots are soft. Avoid breathing in the simmering vinegar, it's quite uncomfortable.

Combine everything in a blender, add 1/4 ts sugar, and 1-2 ts of salt. Blend until smooth. If the sauce is to runny, return to pot and reduce slightly, if too thick, add some water.

The sauce is insanely hot when fresh. Poor onto a lidded jar/bottle and refrigerate overnight. The next day the heat will have calmed down (don't worry, it'll still be plenty hot) and the taste is fantastic. The unique Habanero aroma leaps at you, and the heat strikes just as you're swallowing.

Sauce works great on most Taco/Burrito-style dishes, pizza ++

• ab2008
    11 years ago

Taco stuffed Jalapeno's

1lb ground hamburger meat

some large jalapenos - cut in halves length wise/seeded and cored

1 packet taco seasoning

2 cups of shredded cheese (i used 1 cup mazarella and 1 cup of mexican style)

green onions diced (optional)

tortilla chips

Sour cream (optional)

Brown hamburger, drain any excess fat off. Add 3/4 cup of water and packet of taco seasoning and mix. Once mixed well, add 1 cup shredded cheese and mix until it's melted thorougly. Arrange halved jalapenos on a baking sheet and spoon the hamburger mix into the jalapenos. After that I spread chopped green onions over the jalapenos and hamburger and slide into the oven on 350 degrees until the jalapenos start to soften slightly, 15 minutes or so.

Pull them out and spread the rest of your cheese over the jalapenos. Slip them back into the oven until the cheese has melted, once that's done pull them out, and crumble tortilla chips over the cheese.

Sit down and spread a little sour cream here and there on them and beg there were more!

Sorry for the poor directions, it isn't anything I have written down and never really measure anything out, so just use what you think you need!

• DMForcier
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by john11840 z6/CT (My Page) on
    Tue, May 28, 13 at 8:22

Here's one that I've use for several years. It's basically a B&B pickle recipe for Jalapenos, but I've used it for many thick-flesh peppers. Don't see why it wouldn't work for habs also.
    Fiedlermeister’s Bread & Butter Jalapenos
    I adapted a bread and butter pickle recipe, sustituting pepper-- mostly jalapenos. They are very tasty and can either be stored in the fridge without processing--they stay crispy-- or proceessed in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes and stored at room temp.
    I usually increase the amts for the brine to be sure I have enough to cover the peppers
    1 1/2 to 2 lbs peppers sliced 1/4 " thick
    2 medium onions sliced thin
    6 ice cubes
    1/4 cup coarse ( Kosher ) salt
    1 cup cider vinegar
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 Tablespoon mustard seed
    1/2 teaspoon celery seed
    1/2 teaspoon turmeric
    In large bowl combine peppers, onions, salt, and ice. Let stand 1 hour tosssing occassionally.
    Fill bowl with water and drain vegetables in a colander. Rinse and drain three times to rinse off all salt. Drain well.
    In large pan combine vinegar, sugar and spices. Bring to a boil. Add the vegetables and when the liquid barely begins to simmer remove from heat. Transfer to a bowl and let cool to room temperature.
    Put in jars with enough brine to cover vegetables and store in the fridge. Ready to eat the next day but I have kept in fridge for many months. really good--crunchy-not too sweet--not too sour.
    Enjoy, John A

• Tiarella
    10 years ago

Hope we can continue the recipe thread this year. The first jalapenos will be mature in a few days, but I couldn't wait and bought some today.

Simple recipe. Parboiled jalapenos for 90 seconds then split and seeded. Filled halves with a blend of 2 parts full-fat ricotta cheese and 1 part cheddar-jalapeno spread (cream cheese based) from the grocery. Topped with a thin slice of white cheddar and baked at 375 for 15 minutes. Quite good. Next time I will bake on a foil-lined pan if cheese is involved.

I also tried making candied serranos. Will keep trying.

This post was edited by bjdurham on Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 21:50

• JayRay44
    10 years ago

Discovered this in Charleston, SC...

Death Relish:

4 habenero peppers, coarsely chopped
    4 jalapeno peppers, coarsely chopped
    2 ghost peppers, coarsely chopped
    2 roasted red peppers, coarsely chopped
    4 cloves garlic
    1/2 cup finely diced red onion
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    6 tablespoons pineapple juice
    6 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
    1/4 cup grape jelly
    2 tablespoons Sriracha (an Asian chili sauce)

For the relish: In a food processor, combine the habenero peppers, jalapeno peppers, ghost peppers, roasted red peppers and garlic cloves. Pulse until chunky but not pureed. Pour the mixture into a mixing bowl and fold in the red onions, granulated sugar, pineapple juice, apple cider vinegar, grape jelly and Sriracha. Stir until combined. In a saucepan, reduce the mixture by one-third over medium heat, about 15 minutes, and cool.

• DMForcier
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Time to bounce this thread again...

• peppermeister1
    10 years ago

My wife made a super tasty apple pepper pie last week. My job was to pick the peppers, so I took it very seriously. Just two peach habs and 1 red paper lantern was all it took to make this pie delicious and spicy with a heat that slowly warmed the whole body with each bite.
    Link to recipe below

Here is a link that might be useful: Spicy Apple Pie

• DMForcier
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jalapeno chips, popper recipes (shrimp!!?), jalapeno martini (!!?), plain ole peppery goodness.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pam's new addiction

• ozzy2001
    9 years ago

Bumping so I can find this later. Some of these sound amazing.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Yesterday I made some sauce:

--- 10-12 large orange habs
    --- 10 -12 small sweet peppers (yellow, orange, red)
    --- ONE pureed pineapple
    --- ONE cup of vinegar
    --- ONE small carrot

Miscl.
    garlic, ginger, turmeric,

directions:

wash, deseed , dice all peppers, carrot ::
    in a pot add about 1/2 cup water, 1 cup vinegar; add peppers , carrot, garlic, ginger;; cook at low heat until carrot, peppers are soft. Add 1/2 the pineapple puree ;;; using a hand/stick blender blend real good ::;;; add the rest of pineapple puree :::cook another 15 minutes. Blend again more :: strain through a steel rice strainer; ( Got about 1 cup of pulp. throw it away).

Now, put the creamy strained stuff back in the pot and simmer more, depending on the consistency, you may simmer longer or add some more water/vinegar. It made about one quart of sauce. I like the fruity flavor coming from the pineapple and the habs. Not too hot. I can eat a tea spoon fool of it straight.

At this point, you can "CAN" by BWB method. But since I keep it refrigerated I skip that because I am going to be using it. No need to seal it

• DMForcier
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There are several of these threads but this one has some meat to it. (Figuratively speaking, of course.)

Here is a link that might be useful: For those that pickle peppers

This post was edited by DMForcier on Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 23:18

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

Strawberry Surprise Jam

The following recipe uses, imo, a ridicules number of very hot peppers. While all the sugar would help tame the beast, it still sounded too hot for my taste, so I substituted 10 medium size red ripe Serranos for the 25 Scorpions. Perfect! Quite mild, but since we're talking about a breakfast item, no need to get carried away after all.

Also, I always hear how lime and lemon juices "brighten" a recipe. Now I understand. The strawberry flavor really intensifies without any of the tangy sourness of the lime juice.

Finally, to get the jam to firm up correctly, you really do need to simmer and stir until it reaches 220 degrees and this can take quite awhile, particularly with frozen strawberries. I gave up at 215 so it's not quite set up firm, but it's not runny either. I ended up with 7 1/2 half pints using 3 lbs of frozen strawberries. Using the whole 3 oz packet of liquid pectin, instead of just 4Tbs probably would have worked out fine.

Strawberry Surprise Jam

This is a very simple Strawberry Jam recipe, with huge Strawberry flavour and quite a lick of heat.

2.5 lbs strawberries (fresh or frozen). I used frozen, so defrosted first.

4 cups white sugar

juice of 4 limes

25 Butch T Trinidad Scorpions

4 tablespoons Ball liquid pectin

Recipe makes roughly 4 pints.

Put strawberries in a large pan, crushing the berries as you go and bring to a slow boil. Don`t smash them to bits unless you like a smoother texture jam.

While the strawberries are heating, put the Butch Ts and lime juice in a blender. Be careful and blend to a puree. Add the puree to the strawberry mixture.

Once the mixture is boiling, add the sugar and mix the sugar in carefully. It`s both very hot and extremely hot :P I used a splash guard to keep the mixture off me, the dogs and the cooker :fireball:

Bring to a rolling boil. If you used frozen strawberries you`ll need to boil the mixture more than if they were fresh.

Boil until the temp of the mixture is 220°F, then add the pectin and stir for 1 minute or until dissolved. Can as per usual.

Here is a link that might be useful: Strawberry Surprise Jam

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Lots of good receipes here. Bump this to the top.

Here is a link that might be useful: Habanero Pepper Recipes

• MikeUSMC
    9 years ago

Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Jalapeños
    (Makes 40)

20 fresh large jalapeños
    8 oz softened cream cheese
    1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
    1 lb thin bacon (not thick cut)
    2 tbsp coarse sea salt
    1-1 1/2 tbsp chili powder
    1 tbsp white sugar
    1 tbsp brown sugar
    1 tsp ground black pepper
    1 tsp ground cumin

Slice jalapeños lengthwise, de-seed and de-stem, making little pepper "boats." In a small bowl, mix all dry ingredients (not cheese) to make a dry rub. Cut whole lb of bacon in 1/2, making "short" pieces of bacon (not lengthwise). Sprinkle and rub onto bacon evenly coating both sides. In a seperate bowl, mash together cream cheese and cheddar cheese. Spoon cheese mixture into pepper halves, wrap peppers in slices of bacon and secure with a toothpick. Put on smoker at 225* for 1 1/2-2 hours, or until bacon is cooked to satisfaction.

I made these for a cookout 2 weeks ago, and they were gone in less than 10 minutes. So delicious! People were eating them like popcorn! (The "red" ones on the right were turkey bacon for the wife)
    -Mike

• MikeUSMC
    9 years ago

Simple, quick, and easy.
    Smoked hot dogs stuffed with jalapeños and pepper jack cheese

• DMForcier
    Original Author
    9 years ago

VERY interesting How-To about fermenting and preserving peppers. Pay special attention to the first and third posts.

Here is a link that might be useful: Poke this

This post was edited by DMForcier on Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 23:34

• MikeUSMC
    9 years ago

Pretty close to harvest time. Figured I'd bump this thread. I thought I killed it with that lame hot dog recipe! Sorry guys.... I'll try to be a little more creative. Haha

Mike

• tomt226
    9 years ago

Mike,
    You didn't kill shid, IMHO. You got ideas, post'em. Those would work great with Elgin Hot Gut...

• DMForcier
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Heck, if I couldn't kill it with the Pumpkin Pie Variations it will never die.

Now if I only had a recipe to justify this post...

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

One of the most simple and delicious condiments is an Asian dabbing sauce called, simply, "Pepper." My brother's wife is Hmong (from Laos) and she and her sisters make a batch of "Pepper" for every gathering. Perfect for dabbing rice, vegetables, and meat.

1 - Muddle a bunch of green and red Thai chiles in a mortar.

2 - Muddle a small amount of green onion, and a larger amount of cilantro in the mortar with the chiles.

3 - Add a splash of Fish Sauce and Lime juice.

4 - Add salt to taste (I add MSG), then muddle all ingredients.

5 - Serve in a small personal dish (like a wasabi dish). Dab meat and rice in the pepper and enjoy how the flavors are enhanced.

This is a local sauce and almost every household, village, and restaurant will have their own version. There are many variations. Some people like a very tangy Lime flavor - others go heavy on the Fish Sauce, and vice versa. There are even versions that use a bit of fine-chopped tomato for a more runny / wet style of "Pepper."

Josh

• DMForcier
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Posted by judo_peppers (Jason) here.

I just made this, and it came out so awesome that instead of trying to turn this into a sauce that I'd sell, I felt the need to share it.

1 superhot, or however many peppers you feel like adding
    15 cloves garlic
    4 fl oz low sodium teriyaki sauce
    2 fl oz white vinegar
    2 fl oz olive oil
    1 fl oz soy sauce
    1 fl oz lime juice
    2 tbsp honey
    1 tsp onion powder
    1 tsp black pepper
    1 tsp brown sugar
    1/2 tsp white pepper
    1/2 tsp dry coriander
    1/4 tsp allspice
    1/4 tsp dry ginger
    1/4 tsp dry thyme
    a dash (like 1/16th tsp) cumin powder

how hot you wanna make it is up to you. I thought one chocolate scorpion in the batch was the perfect amount of heat. your tastes may differ.

throw it all in a blender, blend til smooth. I used this for about 3 lbs of chicken thighs, but it's enough for up to 5 lbs IMO.

I put the chicken and marinade in a big tupperware container, then poked a few holes in each piece so the marinade would make its way inside, then I put it in the fridge overnight.

put in a deep tray in the oven (pouring all the marinade in there too so it cooks in there) at 350 for about a half hour while you're getting the grill lit, then finish on the grill.

just make sure to grab a piece early, or there will be nothing left.

• DMForcier
    Original Author
    9 years ago

From TomT226:

Green Bhut Sauce

3-cups coarsely chopped Bhuts (about a quart un-chopped)
    6-small (1-1/2-2") green tomatoes
    2/3 cup coarsely chopped garlic
    1-cup rough chopped cilantro
    1-1/2 cups lime juice
    2 cups water
    3-teaspoons table salt
    1-tablespoon sugar
    1/4-teaspoon Xanthan gum dissolved in 2 tablespoons cold water

Place all ingredients except the Xanthan gum mixture in a sauce pan, cover, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for ten minutes. Remove from heat and let cool completely. Process in a blender for ten minutes.

Add Xanthan gum and process for another 30 seconds. Pour into a bowl and let sit for one hour for the bubbles to escape. Refrigerate.

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

Grilled Fajitas

Place the following in a Jumbo ziplock bag and marinate at least 2 hours, turning the bag occasionally to coat.

Red Bells and Poblanos (or other favorites) - seeded and sliced in half.
    Tomatoes cored and sliced in half.
    Onion - thin sliced into rings.
    Can of either pineapple slices or peach halves (including the syrup)
    Couple oz. of Soy Sauce
    2" piece of grated Ginger (or tsp powder)

After marinating drain the bag into a sauce pan, add enough of your favorite BBQ sauce to double, then simmer until it's reduced by nearly half. Reserve some to add back to the fruit and veggies after they come off the grill. The rest/most will be used for the meat glaze.

Pour a couple oz of oil into the bag to coat so the veggies won't stick on the grill. I use Grapeseed oil as it's virtually tasteless and has a higher boiling point than Peanut oil.

Rub/season your preferred meat a couple hours ahead of time. My own general purpose Rub mix contains equal parts of my mild smoked chili powder, cumin, black pepper, garlic powder, two parts salt, and a bit of dried mustard and onion powder.

Grill meats and fruits/veggies. I use a basket for the fruits/veggies with the onions on the bottom, followed by the tomatoes, then fruit, then once the peppers are blackened directly on the grill, place them on top of all.

Once off the grill, slice up the meat, fruits, and veggies as needed (I generally grill enough to make dinner several times throughout the week).

Note: I don't remove the blackened skins off the peppers, but you can if you wish by placing them on a paper bag to steam for awhile after taking them off the grill.

You can go ahead and serve the sliced meats/fruits/veggies on tortillas with a bit of sour cream and/or your favorite salsa, or you can toss the sliced meat/veggie mix into a skillet along with some more of your favorite powder to get a more developed flavor. That's what I do when making leftovers, often using some of my hotter powder blends.

Bonus recipe: Dress up a cheap frozen pizza with the meat/fruits/veggies, add some cheese, and of course more powder.

This post was edited by mecdave on Sat, Oct 25, 14 at 9:40

• DMForcier
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This thread has great info on making jams with some heat - how to make them set up, how to make them shelf safe, really good recipes.

Thread includes the infamous Bacon Jam.

Here is a link that might be useful: Poke me please.

• DMForcier
    Original Author
    9 years ago

fawnridge writes:

This recipe is from a jerk shack in Boston Bay, Jamaica, that I got from the cook in August 1982.

Boca Boys Jerk Rub Recipe - use this on anything you want to jerk, even fish!
    ======
    4 tablespoons Ground allspice
    4 tablespoons Dried thyme
    4 tablespoons Ground Scotch Bonnet Pepper
    2 tablespoons Freshly ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons Ground sage
    1 tablespoon Ground nutmeg
    1 tablespoon Ground cinnamon
    2 tablespoons Garlic powder
    4 tablespoons Brown Sugar
    1 cup dried Chives

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Hot, Sweet-n-Sour Sauce OR Jam !
    ----------------------------------
    I just made this one 2 days ago:

-- ~ Two(2) cups of mix habs, Lemon Drop, Chinese 5C, Thai Hot Manzano .

--Two (2) tubes of frozen Pineapple- Mango concentrates.
    -- ~ 6 oz of Pineapple tomato (yellow meat, little juice).
    -- ~ 3/4 cup of vinegar

SPICES:
    --- coriander, white mustard seeds, Cumin, Mace, Fenugreek seeds, ... ALL GROUND TOGETHER.

DIRECTIONS:
    ==Just put every thing in the pot (except vinegar).
    ==cook until peppers are soft.
    ==Blend the heck of it. Simmer another 15 minutes or so
    == Blend one last time.
    == Sieve through a rice strainer ( Got about 1/2 cup pulp out)
    == Add vinegar, simmer again at low heat for about 30 minutes.

Final Product : One quart and 1/2 pint. I just keep it in the frig. I'll give some to relatives.

seysonn

• chilemilio
    9 years ago

Very cool keeping this thread alive! -E

Ras El Hanout spice mix

Takes a lot of ingredients, but is totally worth it. Intense enough that you don't have to use too much of the final mix in dishes, so it can be respectfully hot without taking over the rest of the spices. Good addition or ~replacement of chile powder in most recipes(esp curries).. but really good for crusting salmon and steaks [just beware of spicy gasses!!]

2 TBS cumin seed
    2 TBS ground ginger
    1+1/2 TBS coriander seeds
    2 tsp ground cinnamon
    2 tsp ground turmeric
    1 tsp allspice berries
    1 tsp green cardamom seed
    1 tsp fennel seed
    1 tsp white cardamom seed
    1 tsp ground galangal
    1 tsp shaved nutmeg
    1/2 tsp anise seed
    1/2 tsp celery seed
    1/2 tsp cloves

1/4 cup mild pepper powder
    *1/2 tsp superhot chile powder

The mild powder provides the body to the mix. *Increasing the spicy powder really depends on the caliber of pepper you are using... Some might say I crossed the line replacing the 1/2 tsp with 1 TBS of moruga scorpion :-D

Based on: Healing Spices, Dr B Aggarwal

• worlad
    9 years ago

Tomorrow sports crab season starts in this neck of the woods the family will be enjoying this recipe again as soon as I get some
    Crab Cioppino
    INGREDIENTS
    1. 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    2. 8 large garlic cloves 6 finely chopped, 2 whole
    3. 3 jalapeños, seeded and chopped fine
    4. 4 Tunisian Baklouti's chili’s or 2 red bell peppers, diced
    5. 1 large onion, finely diced
    6. 2 tbl tomato paste
    7. 1 cup red wine
    8. 2 tbl fresh oregano chopped fine
    9. One 28-ounce can peeled tomatoes, finely chopped, juices reserved
    10. 1qt clam broth
    11. 1 1/2 cups water
    12. 1/2 cup packed basil leaves
    13. 1/2 tsp dried crushed red chili peppers
    14. 4 steamed Dungeness crabs, about 2 pounds each, cleaned cracked and cut into 1/4ers
    15. 2 dozen clams (cherrystone littleneck etc), scrubbed
    16. 2 pounds firm, white fish fillets (I like Ling Cod), skinned and cut into 1 ½” chunks
    17. 2 pounds 21/25 green headless shrimp, shelled and deveined
    18. 2 pounds PEI mussels, scrubbed
    19. 1 pound medium size sea scallops,
    20. Salt and freshly ground pepper
    21. Sour dough bread, for serving
    Preparation
    1. In a large non-reactive skillet, heat 1/4 cup of olive oil. Add the chopped garlic, jalapeños, peppers, onion and and cook, stirring occasionally, over moderately high heat until softened and beginning to color, about 8-10 min. Add the wine and cook until nearly evaporated, add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the chopped tomatoes and their juices the oregano and cook over moderately high heat about 5 minutes. Add the clam broth and water, pepper, and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat until the broth is reduced, 15-20 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and generously with pepper
    2. Meanwhile, in a small food processor, combine the basil leaves with the whole garlic and process until the garlic is finely chopped. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of olive oil and the crushed red pepper and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
    3. Add the crabs and clams to the pot. Cover and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until the clams just start to open, 3-5 minutes. Using tongs, remove the crab pcs to a large sheet pan. Add the fish, shrimp, mussels and scallops to the pot, pushing them into the still simmering broth. Return the crabs to the pot, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the clams and mussels are fully open and the fish, shrimp and scallops are cooked through, about 8 minutes longer do not overcook!
    4. Ladle the Cioppino into deep bowls and drizzle each serving with some of the basil puree. Serve with crusty sour dough bread

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

A blast from the past!

Here is a link that might be useful: Your favorite recipes here. 2012 Edition

• beesneeds
    8 years ago

Since this thread got brought up in another thread.. but I see it hasn't come to the top of the topics since last year..

I've giving this thread a bump.. folks are starting to get in pepper harvests, and recipes here are too good to leave alone :)

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022