Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mctiggs

Happy Thanksgiving, hosers!

mctiggs
10 years ago

So, as of a week ago I was out of the pepper game. All my plants have gone to the great compost heap in the sky, it's been at freezing every night now, and it was the only humane thing to do.

I grew mustard habs for the first time, and the way they look inspired me to do something stupid.

Pumpkin Pie Habanero Sauce

Boil all of this:
210g pumpkin (fresh)
210g mustard habs
2 1/4 cups apple cider vinegar
About 1 tsp lemon zest
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ginger (ground)
1/2 TB brown sugar

Cook until soft, puree, return to heat and cook for ~half an hour. Makes 3 - 5 oz bottles. Sauce is shelf-stable (refrigerate after opening).

It tastes like pumpkin pie. Seriously. From hell. I'm not sure there is any purpose for this besides novelty.

Just thought I'd share the weirdest thing I've made this year. Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Canucks.

Comments (13)

• mctiggs
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the inspiration!

• nc_crn
    10 years ago

conversion of grams to ounces for those that need the know the difference between measurements in the metric system and freedom system:

210 g = 7.4 oz

happy canadian thanksgiving...may your igloos stay warm enough to keep you away from the 8 month waiting list for health care.

disclaimer...these are all good natured jokes from a liberal american...just jokes.

also, neat twist on hot sauce.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Correct conversion. One ounce is about 28.4 grams.
    16 oz = 1lb =454 grams.

Mustard Habanero ? I have not heard it before. How hot is it compared to orange hab (~~ 300,000 SHU).

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

so how many habs did it take to reach 210g? did you use canned pumpkin? I don't have mustard habs, but I've got exactly 3 ripe bhuts left that I don't know what to do with. maybe this would be a good use.

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

I'm gonna make this sauce soon. I'm gonna call it my Halloween sauce. I say that because the main ingredients will be pumpkin and ghost peppers. yeah, there's my lame joke for the day.

• mctiggs
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Funny!! I love lame jokes like that. I put a ghost pepper in vodka to infuse it - I called it "Great Caesar's Ghost". (For those of you yanks a Caesar is a vodka drink like a bloody Mary but with Clamato).

No I used fresh pumpkin, and the number of peppers is not helpful - I had huge and small ones. It was about a half a pound.

The mustards are not really any different (to my palate) than other varieties - they just have a neat colour.

• User
    10 years ago

mctiggs,

Take off Eh and happy thanksgiving.

Sorry, if I'd have seen your thread I'd of just added my turkey/jelly post to yours. Not up on current weather in the Peg but here in Ottawa we hit an uncharacteristically warm 20C / 68F today. Did my thanksgiving turkey in shorts mid October. Wild.

Link below to Turkey's Revenge.

Bill

Here is a link that might be useful: Turkey's Revenge in this thread

This post was edited by ottawapepper on Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 22:04

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

There is nothing new under the sun. Last year I added peppers to some of my pumpkin pies. The results were ... unsuccessful. The flavors just don't go together.

But I sure would like to try your sauce. Thanks for the recipe.

Dennis

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

so I finally got around to making this sauce. I modified the recipe somewhat:

3 bhut jolokia
    1 8oz can pumpkin
    2 cups apple cider vinegar
    1 cup distilled water
    1 tbsp brown sugar
    1 tsp white sugar
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp nutmeg
    1/2 tsp allspice
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp ginger

32oz pre boil 25 oz post boil.
    pH came in at 3.6 pre boil.

my wife thinks it's too hot, but she's not a fan of cinnamon (if I make it again I'll be reducing the cinnamon by half). I think it's delicious. thank you for the idea.

as you said, it's probably more of a novelty item, but so what? on first taste I had no idea what I'd ever use it for. after trying it a few more times in the cooking process, it's starting to seem more versatile. I'll definitely be bringing a bottle with me to thanksgiving dinner.

• mctiggs
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm expecting 10% of gross sales!

JK, enjoy!

• maple_grove_gw
    10 years ago

Speaking of Thanksgiving, I gotta get you guys my recipe for chile-laden cranberry sauce. Will look it up and get back to you...

Alex

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

oh my goodness, I just figured out the use for this stuff. peanut butter sandwiches. holy crap why did it take me so long to figure that one out? it's amazing! you gotta try it.

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

also, it's really good on anything with barbeque sauce. it's seeming more and more versatile the more I eat it.

Sponsored