Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daveintexas

Hi all!

daveintexas
9 years ago

Hi all!

Long-time hot pepper grower here. I was searching online for good dehydrators and some GW threads came-up, and I said to myself - "Hey, I remember that place!"

I've been growing hot peppers about 12 years now. I have a nice collection of rare & exotic peppers, and specialize in growing indoors. This Winter, I'm currently growing 75 varieties and 172 plants, all INDOORS. I've got pepper plants that are over a decade old, and my youngest pepper plants are 2-3 years old, so I guess I know a little about overwintering. ;)

Anyways, I got started with this fascinating obsession thanks to the great advice and generosity of the folks here, people like the two Johns, JohnF and JohnT (BTW, either one of them still around here?), and many other fantastic members here; and would like to "Pay It Back", and share my meager knowledge and experience gained these past dozen years to help others who, like I was, are just getting started with this wonderful hobby!

Will also probably do a bit of horse trading (although God only knows why, I have problems just watering the plants I've already got, LOL!)

Had some problems with the plants this summer, but with cooler weather and better growing conditions, plants are now starting to take-off and produce, and I also look forward to sharing some nice Winter podage pics with everybody! :)

Just about ready to pick -

Comments (15)

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Wow! Indoors!? What do you have, a spare house? We'd certainly like to learn more about your setup.

Welcome back.

Dennis

BTW, Texas is a big country. Whereabouts are you?

• daveintexas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks!

"What do you have, a spare house?"

Actually, kinda the opposite...I've got frick'n peppers EVERYWHERE! LOL

I've also got most of the "back-ups" (i.e. - additional plants of the same variety) deliberately kept small (kinda a cross between bonsai & suspended animation).

"BTW, Texas is a big country. Whereabouts are you?"

DFW

• tomt226
    9 years ago

All I can say is that if yer usin' grow lights with those plants, watch out for the DEA.
    The NG likes to fly over my GH low and slow with a FLIR'd Blackhawk when the lights are on here in Bastrop County...

• greenman62
    9 years ago

Hi Dave
    i had just posted about my "winter pepper"
    that survived 27F here in New Orleans 2 weeks ago.
    i am terrible at keeping track of my plants that are in-ground , so i have no idea what it is
    Serrano perhaps ?
    i remember having a pack of seeds that said Serrano mix.

Anyway, welcome.
    maybe we can trade seeds
    i grow a lot of sub-tropicals and other fruits
    have papaya, guava, satsuma etc...

• djoyofficial
    9 years ago

Welcome back, I am sure some people here could put your "meager" knowledge to use. Hehe

dj

• centexan254 zone 8 Temple, Tx
    9 years ago

I would love to see some pics of the plants. I am fighting for room for 5 to over winter in the small duplex I live in here in Temple,Tx.

• scorion1
    9 years ago

Welcome back.

• daveintexas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@TomT225 - no grow lights (too $$$), strongest thing I've got is high-power CFL's! What's your climate/geography down there like, is that Hill Country?

@greenman62 - hard to tell from that pic, does the plant have furry leaves? I'm not that familiar with Serrano, as I found-out many years ago that it's one of the few peppers that refuses to grow indoors!

On the sub-tropicals, I don't think a 30' Papaya Tree will fit inside my bedroom, LOL! You have anything small?

@djoy - Thanks, dj!

@centexan254 - all my current pics are just of pods & flowers, but I'll see what I can do for ya. Growing indoors, I can do things to limit plant size somewhat. For example, I don't have anything in 5 gallon buckets!

The other answer is, it's kinda like living in a jungle here - pepper plants are EVERYWHERE! ;)

If you have some pics of your plants and grow space, perhaps I can offer some suggestions?

@Scorion1 - Thanks!

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

people like the two Johns, JohnF and JohnT (BTW, either one of them still around here?)

I'm a "return" ChileHead to the forum too after being sent to Disney by Spike (The owner/webmaster back then.) in '04/'05. I haven't seen JohnT (He's from Missouri.) or JohnF (He's north of me in Maine.) here since my banishment.

Here is a link that might be useful: JohnT (john__showme__usa) & JohnF (john47_johnf) from '06

This post was edited by northeast_chileman on Sun, Dec 14, 14 at 8:41

• tomt226
    9 years ago

Daveintexas,
    Little warmer than DFW area. Haven't had shid for winter yet. Outside plants are still producing except for the Corno di Toros and Numex habs. Picked a bunch of Pequins and Tepins yesterday and made a quart of sauce. Still got tree habs and Bhuts to pick and process.
    We're more Blackland Prairie, with sandy soil, post oaks and yaupon...

• daveintexas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi, northeast_chileman! You were one of the infamous "Disneyed"? LOL!

I think that actually happened a bit before then - I got here a little late for all the fun, and I joined in '03. (I remember wondering why the Hot Pepper forum was so QUIET, until another member clued me in via E-MAIL, LOL) I looked into that MSN thing back then, but trying to use that was an exercise in pure frustration - that slow bloated monstrosity was too much for my poor old PC to be able to handle!

Yea, JohnT (and his "Toilet Parts" LOL) was our resident expert on all things C. Pub. (including the exotic USDA PI/GRIN ones)

And JohnF was our expert on wild species, bird peppers, and capsicums rare & exotic!

Indeed, some of the more "unusual" things I contributed to the Holiday Swap were grown-out from seeds I originally received many years ago from JohnF!

Thanks for the links! - Will check those out, and see what more recent info I can track down for them. Was '06 the last time you heard from either of them here?

---------------

@TomT226 - 40's & 50's here, warming back up into the 60's later today. But other than that week and a half back in Nov. when we got a hard freeze, most of this Fall/Winter has been unseasonably warm out here.

Sandy soil - well, at least you don't have to worry about drainage! LOL

I've got a Habanero de Arbol (Tree Hab) indoors right now - it's only growing out of a Cup o' Noodle, and it's STILL trying to take over the place!

Do Pequins & Tepins grow wild in your area?

• tomt226
    9 years ago

Yeah, until the drought of '10-'11, when all the wild plants in my area croaked. I've managed to reintroduce the Tepins in the areas where they died out, and am doing the same with Pequins, to see if they'll naturalize. If we'd get back to our usual 36" of rainfall annually, then I think they'll hold on, even with the elevated temps.
    The tree hab I have in the GH is over 5' and that's only because I kept it in a small pot. The ones outside got to 8'. You'll like the peppers. Different flavor. Really seedy though. Got to strain the sauce like I do for Tepin/Pequin sauce.

• daveintexas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@TomT226 - Yea, we've been in a drought up here 5 years now, geez! Extreme Drought, or Exceptional Drought, or something like that...

National Weather Service Drought Information

Some cities out here are even imposing "Winter" water restrictions now!

> I've managed to reintroduce the Tepins in the areas where they died out, and
    > am doing the same with Pequins, to see if they'll naturalize.

Glad to hear you're playing "Johnny Appleseed", and restoring a native variety of Texas peppers! :)

> The tree hab I have in the GH is over 5' and that's only because I kept it in a
    > small pot. The ones outside got to 8'.

Mine hasn't even given me any flowers yet, but that's probably because he needs a bigger pot. I've noticed that for many C. chinense, they don't want to do anything production-wise unless they have a 6" pot minimum.

But I haven't upsized him yet, for the same reason you mentioned - you give 'em a bigger pot, and they grow LARGER!

> You'll like the peppers. Different flavor.

Thanks for the description, sounds like it might be worth it!

> Really seedy though. Got to strain the sauce like I do for Tepin/Pequin sauce.

Are the seeds regular Hab-sized? (easier to de-seed) Or tiny, like bird peppers?

Thanks!

• tomt226
    9 years ago

Seem to be about the same size, but really packed in there. Maybe a bit smaller, on second thought. A medium mesh strainer gets'em. Pretty meaty and dense too.

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

I think that actually happened a bit before then - I got here a little late for all the fun, and I joined in '03. (I remember wondering why the Hot Pepper forum was so QUIET, until another member clued me in via E-MAIL, LOL) I looked into that MSN thing back then, but trying to use that was an exercise in pure frustration - that slow bloated monstrosity was too much for my poor old PC to be able to handle!

You're right, the MSN Rouge's were a large number (I would guess-t-mate 20 - 30 GW defectors.) of Disneyed ChileHeads that met at Open Fields in 2004 and we had been at MSN a year or 2 before we got the meeting organized so it was probably '01-'02 when the purge occurred.

A brief history (Anyone that can correct me or fill in the blanks feel free !) . The GardenWeb was developed by a person known as Spike who had written into his T&C that all content that fell of the thread grid became his. That's right, pictures - helpful ideas - breeding practices - whatever. He was also a malevolent webmaster that doled out punishment willy - nilly, without warning and often harsh. One of his T&C's was no excessive "bumping" of threads (For obvious reasons IMO, he owns your material after it is no longer available online through his website.) and I often then, as now, bump threads at every forum I visit (He sold GW in '05 to iVillage. So I was the "original" Rouge that moved to MSN with all the other Disneyed characters. After a few years MSN gave up the ghost and we moved to C2C, a forum created by VooDoo, that has died a slow & painful death (A few here at GW still swing by but most of the original Rouges have moved on.)...
    Open Fields 2004size=5>

Top row - left/right...

Jen-da-Hen(IN), Dan Spelunker(UK), Gordon Desert Dweller(CA), embarrassed I can't remember the next 2, Scotch Bonnet Steve(NY), Marv FataliMan(WI), JohnT(MI), another Brit (His name is on the tip of my tongue.)
    Kneeling - Beth PepperMania, Mickey, me, ButchT, forgot this guy,
    Lying down - Alex (OH)....

Sponsored