Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saycats

Growing Plumeria in Seattle

Saycats
12 years ago

Alright - I'm a newbie to the forums, but not to gardening. I know it's difficult but I've been determined for some time to bring my favorite flower to Seattle and get it to grow. I know from lurking about these and other forums that it can be done with hard work and patience in this climate, and I've finally ordered a few cuttings and decided to get my bum onto the forums and get some advice on getting them to grow :)

I've thoroughly researched Plumeria, but (unsurprisingly) most of the info is geared towards growers in warmer places, and so I was just wondering if any Pacific Northwest (or similar climate) gardeners had any advice/tips on keeping Plumeria happy in this type of environment? I plan to root the cuttings indoors and keep them inside until the temps outside get a bit higher - I'm in an apartment so the natural light isn't great, and would love to hear any recs on good lights to use for tropicals in particular, if they have a preference beyond your plain old gro-lights. Also if there are tricks to replicating the type of environment that plumies are used to, any help would be much appreciated!

Comments (7)

• houstontexas123
    12 years ago

you may want to check out the Growing Under Lights forum.

there are several options for lighting. Shop light with fluorescent tubes, clamp on lamps with high wattage CFL's, HPS bulbs, Metal Halide bulbs, etc.

use a surge protector, and timer.

• Kenny
    12 years ago

Saycats,

Welcome! There are quite a few on here who live in colder climates. It's possible! As a matter of fact there was a post similar to yours about growing plumeria in Seattle. Check out the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plumeria Inflo in Seattle

• Saycats
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks both of you for the helpful posts! I'll go ahead and post this in the growing under lights forum also, but thought I'd put it here as well as it still currently pertains to plumeria specifically. After some research in the growing under lights forum, it seems like a compact fluorescent light setup might be the most practical for my small apartment/dorm, and my budget - I'll have 5 plumie cuttings that I'm going to be starting rooting this weekend, and I'm on a college budget, so I'm looking for the most economical, yet effective solution I can find. I wonder if one such lamp (a CFL with reflector fixture, or small shoplight with 2 bulbs) might be sufficient for all 5 if I group their pots together and place the lamp close to the tops? I do also have one of those clamp-on work spotlights that can take a small grow light bulb as well to supplement - I can try them in my window, but it doesn't seem like I get strong enough light, or strong light for enough of the day, for them to do well there (all windows are facing East).

I was also wondering if I need to really be so concerned about light before they've even rooted yet, or if they might do just fine with a heating mat and whatever light coming in from my window until I can afford some nicer lighting setup after a bit?

Thanks again! :)

• jandey1
    12 years ago

Saycats, the lights and especially the heating mat will help a lot in getting them to root.

I used the round grow bulbs and inexpensive clamping reflector domes and was able to squeeze about a dozen one-gallon pots beneath two of those these past couple of winters. Not ideal, but I think the total was only about $12 for that set-up. Worked just fine and I saw lots of growth on the plants that sat under them.

• houstontexas123
    12 years ago

here's my winter indoor setup

1" pvc pipe homemade stand
    10" clamp on lamp w/ 65 watt CFL
    8" clamp on lamp w/ 40 watt CFL
    timers
    power strip
    extra 10" clamp on lamp, extra 65 watt CFL
    light meter

{{gwi:610040}}

• Saycats
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh brilliant! That sort of setup looks perfect - those clamp lights are definitely better within my budget, and this type of rig would definitely fit well in my apartment. I think I'll try something close to this out along with my heating mat for my new cuttings until it gets warm enough for them to go outside :)

Thanks very much all for the help!

• xerophyte NYC
    11 years ago

While LED bulbs are more expensive, they give you a much stronger more collimated light. CFL are easier and cheaper, not better. Try CFL and see how it goes, knowing that an upgrade is possible.

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH