Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
no_clue

Al's Gritty Mix ingredients - found them!

No-Clue
11 years ago

I have been putting this off for a while because I thought it would be near impossible to find them. But as it turned out I found Turface MVP and A-1 Grit right away. Both stores are very close to me so no problem there.

Ironically Fir Bark was the hardest to find! Who would have thought. I tried the Shasta brand. No luck. Tried the Wonder Bark brand no luck. So finally I just decided to get Repti-bark and be done with it. Now that I have these I actually have more questions.

1. What is that string that is coming out the bottom of the pot. What's that about and do I have to do that?

2. The other part I'm even more confused is the sifting screens. Can I use the ones made for food? I don't know the specific sizes though.

3. What mix do I use for So Cal Zone 10 for Plumerias?

4. Last but not least... do I transfer ALL my plants to this new mix or leave them alone and start w/ the new plants I recently bought?

My Foliag Pro is coming this Friday... and so are all the plants I bought on Ebay.

I'm sorry if these questions have been asked before. I really appreciate all your help! Thanks again!

Comments (21)

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Probably too late to point this out, but Bill (tdogdad) has been growing healthy plumies in your same area for a number of years using a mix of Big R redwood, Turf n Tee, perlite and horticultural pumice.

I can't find that stuff here in Texas but you should be able to find it where you are. (Sorry, I looked for the old GW posts where Bill describes his proportions but couldn't.)

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh maybe Bill can share with me later. Right now I just use Cactus mix and perlite. But I figured since everyone is talking about Al's gritty mix then that must be the best. Maybe it isn't ideal for our Zone? I don't know... hopefully other folks can share with me what they did/doing.

Thank you Jandey! How is your E.T. Lemon Drop doing? :)

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Jen, from what I found Bill uses Jack Morgans Kimi's Plumeria Mix:
    1 part kelloggs Big R
    1 part #2 perlite
    1 part pumice
    water when plant goes dry with liquid fertitizer. This is the only way the plant can get nutrients.

Al's gritty mix is the one that calls for turface, and grit, that is on the forum.

The two Senior members of the Corpus Christi Plumeria Society plant in the ground. This is their mix: 1/2 miracle grow potting soil, 1/2 perlite, then top dress with cow manure.
    Since I have all the bags of turface and pumace, this is what I have doing, 1/2 miracle grow potting soil, 1/4 perlite, 1/8 pumice, 1/8 truface. I have my plants in full blazing sun, and they are doing great with just one deep watering a week. I will start using sheep manure tea when I deep water starting next week. Now I get 4 cu feet of perlite at Turners Nursery in Corpus for $19.99, I was buying those little bags at Lowes before I spoke to the members of the PSA. Barbra

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi No Clue,

I just wanted to share that you can find all of the ingredients for Jack Morgan's mix at Orange County Farm Supply. That is where some of the Southern Plumeria People get their ingredients.

AL's Gritty Mix is..

1 part Turface
    1 part Gran-i-grit or Cherrystone # 2
    1 part Fir Bark Or Pine Bark Fines (Screened)
    1 tablespoon of Gypsum ger gallon of mix.

This can be found on Al's thread I will link it for you.

What ever you decide to use, it should be a fast draining mix.. You are lucky to live near OCFS and JJ...etc. We cant find thoe ingredients here on the east.. So i found AL and his Gritty Mix. I especially like it on the Cactus and Succulents too. My new trees that come go directly into the Gritty Mix. Remember you have to screen out the fines in the turface and use a 1/4 inch screen to gather the appropriate size pieces of bark..

Hope this helps...

Laura

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Soils And Your Plants Nutrition

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Laura!!

So are people using Jack Morgan's mix because it's harder to find than Al's Gritty mix? I want what is the best for my plumies and since I can easily find bought which one should I use? Jack's or Al's??

11 years ago

Hi No Clue,

You are so welcome!!

It is a hard question to answer...

People like Jacks Mix...but it is hard for us to find the ingredients..

People like Al's mix but it also can be hard to find...

I would say that it is a choice that only you can make. If you read what Al has mentioned and why and how plants react to the proper aeration etc. and learn how plants can gain from the proper make up then you will start to understand how to make the plants happy. It all starts with the roots.

Jack Morgan's mix sounds like a great mix to me and i was looking for those ingredients before, like i had said...i cant get those here in Virginia. SOme people can't fined Al's ingredients . It is a search for us and it really depends on how much time and effort you want to give to your plants and trees so they will give you the best growing experience for you and for them!!!

Noone can answer what is best for you... Only you! If you have both ingredients, try them and see what you like. I have found that i water just as much with the Gritty Mix as i do with the other Mix that i use. (All fast draining of course).

I hope this helps you.. AL's mix is wonderful and i do like it, but i also like getting my hands dirty and screening the ingredients and making the soil, so it just depends on how much time and effort you want to commit to your plants.

Both are wonderful... What ever you choose it will be good for your trees and plants.

Take care,

Laura

11 years ago

No CLue,

I also wanted to remind you that most of us are potting in containers...this is the mix we like to use...If you are putting all of your trees in the ground, then i would ask around you area what they like to use along with your existing soil and what to add...

I am talking container use only.

Thanks..

Laura

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Laura,

I feel like a new mother! Sheesh. I just want to make sure what I'm doing is good for my babies and not hurt them. Since I have Al's gritty mix ingredients already I might as well start with those. Then later I can also give Jack's mix a try and compare. Thanks again! :)

11 years ago

No Clue,

Remember when transfering to Gritty Mix you need to remove existing mix from the rootball and start like a barerooted tree. I posted a post on Barerooting a Celadine... Im working right now too... (Like James.. : ) So i cant find the link now.. but i dont want you to take the tree from the container and place in a mix of Grity Mix becuase that would defeat the whole purpose of starting with this kind of mix..

Hope i am not confusing you...

ill check back later..

Laura

11 years ago

If you have barerooted trees coming from Fuzzy or from another source, then i would go ahead and use the Gritty Mix if you would like to try that since you have all of the ingredients.

The ones in the containers that you have from JJ's, i would leave them in those containers until you want to plant them in the ground or want to repot into Jack's mix or bareroot them into Gritty Mix. There is nothing wrong in keeping those in the containers from JJ's this season..

I just wanted you to know that your babies are beautiful and i want you to understand before you start. If you want to send me an email...please feel free to do so...

Take Care,

Laura

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Laura! I am so glad you clarified! I had no idea I would have to bare root them if I wanted to transfer. So that's good to know. And I agree... I am not messing with all JJ's plants which by the way all all doing FANTASTIC! Healthy, blooming, and happy. Besides I'm so new at this I would be so scared to take them out of the pots. I'm not planning to put them in the ground either.

As you suggested, I will plant the new ones I bought from Matt and Fuzzy in Hawaii in the Gritty Mix. Should I soak the roots in Vit B1 and Superthrive for an hour before putting them in the gritty mix? Then do I water them w/ the Vit B and Superthrive or the Foliage Pro?

I'm trying to figure out if I can use the kitchen strainers I have or not. How does one determine the screen size? I have this stainless steel oblong one but I can't tell if it's 1/8 or what?

Thank you Laura... you have been a tremendous help!!

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh my goodness... I spent 3 hours straining my mix today. Wow talking about manual labor! My back and my butt is killing me. All of this and my plumies didn't come today!!

I'm spoiled because Fuzzy ships so fast. Now that i bought from 1Stop, they are much slower to ship and you don't get tracking info so you have know idea when it's coming either. I hate waiting. :(

11 years ago

No Clue,

This link may help you...

Remamber to moisten the mix before you add to the pot. I take my mix that is nmake and add water and mix it all around to make sure the bark and the turface has some moisture in the mix, I dont soak , but i will mist the roots before i pot up.

When i screen my turface, i do use a kitchen strainer and it does a great job sifting out the smaller fines fron the Turface, I save these little fines for seeds..

The 1/4 in screen can be found at any hardware dealer;;box stores etc. TYou dont have to buy a huge roll either. They seell smaller bags of screen for repaalcement screens and such. MY DH made screen like AL's. He made them a little larger than AL's, lol nut he did a great job. You dont even have to go through that process if you dont want to. you could lay the screen over a container, like a wheelbarrow and sift over that to collect the fines or fir bark that fall thr the 1/4 screen. This would be for the gritty Mix. I would suggest that you go back and reread the above link that AL wrote ..it took me several times to finally get it and it also has pics of his screen too!

I hope this helps..

I dont fertilize until a couple of weeks in the new mix. then i reduce it by half and then the following week, i start at the normal amount of Foliage Pro.

Always take your newly planted trees and keep them from direct light..you want then to acclimate them to the new surroundsing and not cause any stree, Then after several weeks, put them back into the sun.

Goofd Luck..learn how to watch the mix as it drys.. you want to use the wet /dry cycle on all of your Plumeria. in any mix that you choose. O awwoden skewer is a great tool to use.. put it in..if it is wet dont water..it is is dry..,water..if ur not sure..then water lightly...

Take care,

Laura

Here is a link that might be useful: Taking A Bare Rooted Tree And Planting into The Gritty Mix

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Josh, Laura I wish I would have know about not putting the newly planted cuttings in full sun. When all my rooted cuttings had leaves, I planted them in pots and put them in full Texas sun. When I came back in 6 days the plant had totally sunk inside the middle of the cuttings. It was not mushy, just totally sunk in. I thought I could just water them well and they would plump up, but no such luck. I threw them away this last weekend, there was no hope they were gone. I thought about keeping about 1 inch and putting it in the ground, and decided against doing it, I am too old to wait that long. I plan on replacing the cuttings with plants down the road. I guess it always a learning experience. Barbra

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh wow I have been putting them in full sun after a day! Opsie!

Yeah I have to figure out how to tell when I need to water. And of course I will have to find the 1/4 screens thing. The strainers I have took forever!! I am going to HD and see if those guys can show me how to build one. How hard can it be right? LOL

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Barbra, I'm sorry to hear you're having the same problems with our blistering heat! Of six cuttings I have, three have sunburn and sunken areas, but one was so bad I had to cut out the center portion and throw it away. It was hard and dry and completely shriveled in the middle of the stem though the top was fine.

Then another cutting I bought recently got a sunburn/sunken spot near the tip from just getting morning sun. I guess that's what I get for trying to root cuttings in 105-108 degrees. Live and learn, darn it. I'm with you and am going to stick with rooted plants if at all possible.

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok this is where I'm confused. So no sun at all for new cuttings? Or sun is fine if the temps are in the mid-70s?? So no triple digits sun for these new guys right?

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Jen, you described exactly what happened to my cuttings. The center portion was hard and shriveled up, there was no hope trying to revive it. I am so glad not all the cuttings showed leaves at the same time. I still have Maudi Gras and Embers, they are just starting to put on leaves. I am bringing you the Maudi Gras Sunday, I think you will love it. Barbra

11 years ago

Hey Barbra,

Anytime i do something to a tree i give it a rest.. i will either place under somme other trees or keep it from direct light in another way... (put i somewhere it will get pleanty of protection from the direct sun)

Im sorry about the loss of your cuttings, they must have relly been hot.. Yikes!!!

No Clue.. I will post pics of my screen..but they look just like AL's maybe a little larger..LOL..my DH made themm to heavy for me, but i adapted to using them another way. The 1/4 inch screes i find at Lowes or at a local hardware store. Look atAL'spics anndd you can see how he staples the screen to the wood.

Jen,

Dont give up..you can do this.. i lmo you can!!! Just keep it from that awful intense heat.. they will do fine
    Please try again... you have it girl!! You can do it!!!

: )

No Clue,

i would think 70's would be fine for new rooted trees in that temp. But if it gets to hot, then move them. they need toime to adjust and start to form new roots annd not be totally stressed. That is the major point i want to make. These trees need to reat for a few weeks before thay are all brought back outside here and there. Just protect them from direct intense heat...

It happens... Mine did the same thing last year, that is why i decided to not put them in the direct sun..it is to darn hot..and they are frying... Learn from your mistakes and by others.. Give them time to acclimate and then slowy given them the feel of the real full sunshine..

Hope this helps...

Laura

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

I'm with Jen, maybe its best to buy rooted cuttings. Funny the 2 cuttings I still have I traded for. The ones I lost I bought. I could have bought a couple of plants, instead of those cuttings. I don't think I will ever buy cuttings again. Barbra

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah I don't have a green thumb so this has been a huge learning curve for me as is. Not sure how my cutting will turn out. Of course I had to bid on the Red.. which is notorious for being hard to root. Haha... I thought I was bidding on a ROOTED cutting. Oh well..

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH