Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sand. Which Sand?

Posted by love_the_yard z9A Jax FL (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 11, 10 at 16:21

Plan to mix it 50/50 with peat. Which sand is the right one? I have the choice of:

- Pool filter sand
- Play sand
- All-purpose sand
- Paver sand
- Desert sand

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sand. Which Sand?

Peat is the problem. Any sand. Not peat!! Use Perlite, Diotameaous earth or Turface, pine bark fines, but NOT peat! Peat is the thing that dries and makes the water pool on top, drain down the sides, and NEVER get to the plant! It's OK if you are making a hypertufa pot, but for a soil... BAD!!

o

But Janie said she uses a 50/50 mix of peat and perlite for her propagation boxes with a high rate of success. I gotta do what Janie did! Photobucket Here's a link to the famous thread: Janie's Easy Propagation Chamber

o

the peat has to stay moist. whenever you let it dry out, it forms a crust and repels water. In the propagation chamber, because the lid stays on most of the time, and because of the reservoir in the middle, the peat will never (or should not) dry out. When I use sand, I use washed play sand - any type or sand should work. The chamber uses the same principle as the 'Forsythe pot' only it has a cover to better retain humidity.

o

Just be sure that the sand you get did not come off of the beach. If it has sea salt in it, it will probably kill your plants.

o
Sand or Something Else

If you happen to be in an area where you can buy decomposed granite, that works well, because it is course grained.

Your sand is for drainage, so the fine sand is less useful than a larger grained sand (if that helps).

I just mixed up a batch of sand with coir and a little bit of Miracle Grow potting soil. It looks nice, but this is the first batch, so I don't know yet how it works.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here