Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

Missed a Chance (timing is everything)

digit
12 years ago

I was in the small veggie garden yesterday. As many of you know, I'm a commuting gardener - this garden is about 4 miles from home.

Except for the russets, the 200 square feet of the potato patch has been dug. The russets only take up about 40 square feet and I've got Asian greens sown in about 40 square feet. Most of them are really densely sown and need separating. They transplant well, except when daytime temperatures reach 90F as has been the case thru about 2 weeks.

It was cloudy and sprinkling rain when I was there. The weather report for today was a nice cool 75F for a high, I'd meant to bring transplanting tools . . . So, there I was with about 120 square feet of ground, haphazardly refilled beds after the soil had been completely removed to harvest the spuds.

I found a thin scrap of metal which could have worked as a trowel, sorta. But, I couldn't level the beds . . . Driving 8 miles round trip to bring in the forgotten rake just didn't seem to make sense. Later that day, a quarter inch of rain fell -- the 1st rain in well over a month. Perfect for transplants but NO transplants!

The rake is going in the back of the pickup this morning and, altho' I hadn't planned a trip over there (on to the more distant garden), I should be able to stop for some transplanting tasks. Instead of starting out with 24 hours of coolness and rain, the plants will have to face "Mostly Sunny" and high temperatures back near 90 by Sunday.

If they keel-over, I'll kick myself! For the want of a rake . . .

Steve

Comments (10)

• highalttransplant
    12 years ago

I feel your pain, Steve! I try to keep a variety of garden tools in the back of my car, but every now and then I need that space for things like, say groceries. Inevitably, that will be when the weather is right for a task that I'm not prepared for.

Still haven't gotten the lettuce I started a month ago in the ground yet. Considering growing it as houseplants ... not really : )

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    12 years ago

Dangit! Sounds like you have a new habit.

Dan

• digit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Got it dun!

Intended to run the 31cc mini-tiller on some paths while I was there.

'Cept, I forgot the gas . . .

Steve

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    12 years ago

Is this your grow op you are writing about or your veggies?

;o)

Dan

• digit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dan, DW showed me my open container of dandelion roots in the fridge. Selected, washed and set in there about 2 weeks ago. They are plenty dry at this point.

I think they can still be roasted into a nice cup of Recession-Proof coffee . . .

Coffee, tea and veggies - they are my motivation, Dan. Forgetfulness has been my companion.

digitS'

• digit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is where I describe my grow op but I think Robert might have drifted off to places unknown:

Here is a link that might be useful: . . . fallen in a well

• digit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Scratched things out flat and . . .

{{gwi:1222040}}
    from early this morning

Bok Choy near the camera. That's Guy Lan across the path, got a little of that moved around, too.

The tail-end (and I mean, the tail-end) of the russet potatoes is there in the upper left corner. I will be cutting off the foliage tomorrow. I am sure that they won't notice at this stage. Had hoped they'd run until frost but I will need to come up with a later variety than Gold Rush.

Steve
    digits crossed that they survive 89F on Sunday & 91F on Labor Day

• digit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This isn't much of a photograph (cellphone) but it gives testimony that the Asian greens survived transplanting:

I can also say that if those plants are there tomorrow, they survived a record high of 95F today! It's been HOT and will reach 90 on a few more days, according to the Weather Service.

Working my way thru the russets. At better than 1# per square foot, it makes me wonder about the yield of the greens. Is 2# of food per square foot garden something one might be able to expect from a simple succession of potatoes to greens (or greens to potatoes ;o)?

The 1st sowing of bok choy and all is way beyond transplanting stage so we have been enjoying the greens at the table. Tonight it was the komatsuna. Komatsuna is so tender!

I'll do some more transplanting of some of the later sowings when (if) it cools down. There is a steady and growing availability of open ground . . .

Steve :o)

• digit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Success!

{{gwi:1222050}}

That drop of moisture on one leaf, no doubt that was sweat. Going for a record high today of 94F according to the Weather Service! That would beak the previous record by 7 degrees!!

. . !

Earlier direct-seeded plants are trying to bolt but this transplanted bok choy is just growing! The Guy Lon across the path is doing fine, too!

Steve

• billie_ladybug
    12 years ago

Steve - that sure is a nice looking crop. I love how certain things cannot be transplanted, but seem to be way more successful when they are transplanted. I always try to get my melons and cucs planted a few weeks early and transplant them, yet it is not supposed to be able to be done. Shh, don't tell the plants.

billie