Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

made Celeriac growers out of you yet?

digit
13 years ago

I don't suppose that I've made Celeriac growers out of you yet.

ugly, ain't they?

soup garden 'o9

And, I don't suppose this "catfish in a bucket" photo will do it either . . .

Steve

Comments (6)

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    13 years ago

digit,
    You might have a better sell if you called them tribbles, for those old enough to remember the original Star Trek. I'm sure these are fine specimens of celeriac!
    Barb

• digit
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, Barb, for responding.

We were beginning to think that Steve had made people uncomfortable with the question. Instead, he probably frightened them with photographs.

Celery Root is easy to pull but requires a lot of paring to get down to a more appetizing image.

There's what is probably an urban myth that one burns more calories eating a stalk of celery than one gains from a celery stalk as food. Making celery, the ultimate diet food!

Make no mistake, you will gain calories from Celeriac! And, it is in the same genus and species as celery. So, if you like the flavor and you expect more from your veggies, you might want to get down to the roots!

Steve's stained Digits

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    13 years ago

How did you find out about celeriac? I'm pretty sure I've never seen these at the local market. I'm curious about veggies I've never heard of. What do they taste like and where did you get them? I grew Jerusalem artichokes this year, but the tubers are tiny and I'm going to leave most in the ground for next year. They are supposed to be invasive, so naturally they are struggling in my garden!
    Barb

• digit
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Barb, I no longer remember where the idea to grow them came from. Success with celery didn't seem likely and I knew some folks who were attempting that and it didn't look to me that they were succeeding.

Celeriac really is the same genus and species as celery. It is just a rather unique variety. The flavor is all celery!

I like celery flavor and this just seemed a possibility worth attempting. The only problem I've had one year was trying to grow them where they had little sun. The result was small roots.

The roots are very starchy which makes them a perfect companion for potatoes, it seems to me. I will try roasting root crops by themselves this winter. They are fine with a beef roast, I know that!

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Roasted Root Vegetables with Rosemary

• digit
    Original Author
    13 years ago

On the menu, for Sunday brunch - Potato Cakes

• billie_ladybug
    13 years ago

You know Steve, I keep hearing that it is way easier to grow than celery and all the rest. I keep telling myself that I have to remember to plant some next year, yet when I order seeds for the spring, I always forget to get some. Maybe next year... Someday I will get to plant everything I want, I just need more helpers, more time, more daylight... I think I need to start a wish list for the garden next year, maybe that way I will remember.

Belinda