Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newrosem

Show us your DARKEST reds.

newrosem
16 years ago

If you too are slightly obsessed with realy dark red (the "black") roses, share your "darkest moments".

Comments (34)

• sam0738
    16 years ago

If you don't mind? Do you have any? What zone are you in?

• katefisher
    16 years ago

Wow Beth! Some true beauties there. I had never seen 'Crimson Glory' before and when I did I nearly dropped my coffee this morning. Have to read more on that one.

Thanks for sharing.

Kate

• zeffyrose
    16 years ago

I had Crimson Glory---many years ago in my first rose garden----It is a beauty------

Thanks for the reminder.

Florence

• gnabonnand
    16 years ago

Francis Dubreuil

Randy

• michellesg
    16 years ago

This post was my favorite for a dark red. Really an impressive depth of color for something growing in the heat of Texas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Bacarra

• zeffyrose
    16 years ago

This makes me want to run right out and get a really dark red rose----so pretty------I just need more sun.

Florence

• Krista_5NY
    16 years ago

I love these dark reds!

The Prince

{{gwi:241084}}

• niecey
    16 years ago

Beth your red beauties are stunning
    Where would I be able to purchased Abracadabra, Hocus Pocus
    I tried helpmefind but was not much help.
    Niecey

• diggerndeb
    16 years ago

For 20 years all I wanted in my yard were fragrant reds... (then I met Deb) My favorite rose for 40+ years has been
    {{gwi:1269167}}
    I can never get the texture and color quite right with a camera.
    {{gwi:1269168}}
    Another longtime favorite is our best performing red in Montana.
    {{gwi:1208279}}
    Fragrance is almost as nice as CG.

• aprille
    16 years ago

Here are my dark beauties ..

Black Lady
    {{gwi:239490}}

Black Magic

Deep Secret

Senegal

The Prince

Aprille

• athenainwi
    16 years ago

Niecey - you can get Abracadabra and Hocus Pocus from Moore's Roses. I really like my Abracadabra but mine doesn't have stripes. I'm being patient with it though as it is a really nice dark red.

Here is a link that might be useful: Moore's Roses

• bethnorcal9
    16 years ago

Niecey, like Athena said.... Moore's roses!! I got my HOCUS POCUS from Lorene, and so far it's been doin' the reverting thing back to BLACK BEAUTY. But I think as she gets established she'll start striping. Maybe your ABRACADABRA will eventually stripe too Athena! It's supposed to be more stable than HP. And mine has only ever had stripes; no solid blooms. But it was a grafted one from Carlton's.

• newrosem
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, guys. Some breathtaking reds. Aprille and Beth take the crown, I must say.
    I have Oklahoma which is medium dark red and I am "working" on Freedom, a florist rose, trying to root it indoors and grow it in a pot at first. (got it from the florist)

• juicy_tomato
    16 years ago

WOW Aprille -- I like that Prince!!

• brandyray
    16 years ago

I love this thread!!! So far, Deep Secret, Black Pearl, Black Magic, Schwarze Madonna, and The Prince are favs. I've been told Deep Secret is really disease resistant- it is on my list. I don't know about the others, but disease resistance is really important to me. Brandy

• cherriej
    16 years ago

Wow, everyone's roses are gorgeous! Amazing photos of them too.

Here's my darkest red. I got it as a band last spring and it's still quite small. It is in a pot and will be spending the winter in my garage just to be on the safe side.

She put out quite a few blooms this summer in spite of her size and they are wonderfully fragrant.

I purchased it from Moore's Rose too! A very good vendor for those who have never purchased from her.

Nigrette - The Black Rose of Sangerhausen

This rose is darker than this photo but I was unable to make the right adjustments to the camera so that I got the true color of this rose.

Cherrie

• twilightsrose
    16 years ago

These are my absolute favorite type of roses... everyone has such beautiful pictures.

For now Ink Spots and Black Jade (no pictures of BJ yet) are my only black-red roses. I absolutely adore Ink Spots, and it is currently my favorite rose. On Sept. 3rd it opened to its most gorgeous bloom yet. I have Schwarze Madonna, Black Beauty and Black Magic on order for next year.

INK SPOTS:
    from 9/03/07

From its first set of blooms, early summer:

• aprille
    16 years ago

Brandy - Deep Secret has been very disease resistant for me, I don't spray and there's not a spot on it - the leaves are a gorgeous matt green, and oh the fragrance of the blooms!! you'll love it!

twilightrose, lovely pictures of Ink Spots, I had this a little while ago - it got huge here, the blooms were definitely perfect and they'd last such a long time. My mom fell in love with it and so I gave it to her (it was in a pot waiting for a new spot) - never got around to replacing it ....

Aprille

• brandyray
    16 years ago

I never heard of Ink Spots before. Really impressive and what nice sharp petals.
    Aprille, thanks for the info on Deep Secret. Brandy

• curlydoc
    16 years ago

Crimson Glory is also my all time favorite. I would grow this rose for one good bloom a year.

{{gwi:322236}}

{{gwi:320206}}

• twilightsrose
    16 years ago

Thanks guys... I really lucked out when I found it. I was checking local nurseries for the better known "black-roses" (black magic/baccara etc.) and this was all I could find... had no idea what to expect, since I had never heard of it. What a amazing surprise. Ink Spots is a Weeks rose.

beth - do you have any pictures of Schwarze Madonna in full bloom? I rescued a rose from a nursery, and I think it might be either Schwarze Madonna or Black Beauty. I really haven't been able to find any roses that completely match on Helpmefind and unfortunately there are so few good picture of Black Beauty. Besides the coloration, does Hocus Pocus look exactly like Black Beauty?

• twohuskies
    16 years ago

Oh wow, everyone has such gorgeous reds!! This post is very dangerous to those of us who lust after that deep dark color.

Here is my contribution
    Cardinal Hume

and Tradescant
    {{gwi:318707}}

• twohuskies
    16 years ago

gilli - here is your photo
    click on the photo for a larger version
    {{gwi:1269178}}

when in webshots you'll want to copy and paste the "post in your blog or website" link. That one will allow the photo to display directly in the thread..

btw, your Ebb Tide is gorgeous!!

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    16 years ago

Wow what lovely pictures. My camera (actually the photographer is the weak point) doesn't get very good pictures of dark reds. This is about the best I can do:

BARCELONA:

• gilli2007
    16 years ago

Ok, I'll try this again. Thanks twohuskies.

{{gwi:1269179}}

• brandyray
    16 years ago

Wow, more and more great roses! I did order Deep Secret, also REd Cascade, Fields of the Wood, and Dusky Maiden- all reds. I do have room for a couple more reds but they need to be very disease resistant. I welcome any suggestions on that topic, oranges too. Brandy.

• mike_in_new_orleans
    16 years ago

Brandy, I'm glad you ordered Deep Secret. You won't be disappointed. I have a single stem of it in a vase in my office right now. So far it has held its form for over a week and looks like it will last several more days easily. The color is wonderful. The disease resistance is great, even here in "Blackspot Hell" and last but not least, it has really strong, classic Damask fragrance. It's a short, compact bush, maybe 3 feet by 3 feet. Blooms are modest sized but such an intense color that they look bigger. Mine did take a while (most of a season) to establish before it started giving my consistently well-formed blooms. Be patient. It will be worth it.

One I haven't grown but have loved the pictures of is Night'n'Day. Deep dark red outer petals with glowing-hot scarlet center. Very eye-catching. Supposedly healthy and somwhat fragrant.

If size does not matter, I also recommend Memphis Magic, a mini flora from Whit Wells, available at Almost Heaven Roses or Two Sisters Roses. A child of the HT Black Magic, it is even slightly darker, actually burgundy with black shadings, similar to Black Beauty. Memphis Magic is a terrific cut flower, lasting up to 3 weeks. It also maintains its shape when dried and turns completely black.

So many great dark reds!

• brandyray
    16 years ago

Glad to hear that Deep Secret is so good, Mike. It seems to be difficult to find a dark red w/ great disease resistance and fragrance too.
    I have never ordered from Almost Heaven but I have heard great things about Zach, an orangish rose that they sell. I
    m not sure about minis, but I appreciate the information. I have 10 roses ordered already for this fall and I do not want to go overboard. :) Brandy

• newrosem
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I posted a picture of a darkest red in the "name that rose" forum, don't know how to attach pictures here, but I hope you can find it there. Enjoy it, it is so devilishly dark. The post is
    VERY dark red

• pacnwgrdngirl
    16 years ago

Incredible collection of the dark reds everyone! I am a lover of these colors. I especially like Randy's Francis Dubreuil. I've been drooling over twohuskies
    Tradescant pic every time I see it. Aprille, your Prince is a beauty! I am loving my Falstaff this year. It is a truly gorgeous rose. I am amazed at the perfection of the form. It has really been a good one for me this year. Smells incredible too.

Falstaff

• dutch88
    10 years ago

My Falstaff rose has grown so much in 3 years, it needs a pillar now.
    Lovely colour and perfume.
    Photo was taken indoors to get a better representation of the colour.
    Red roses are very difficult to photograph accurately.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I got so worked up over these smoldering reds that I just had to bring this ongoing thread back for you to view again--whew! The voluptuous cane with multiple blooms of The Prince crushed together is over the top gorgeous, Aprille, (why won't my Prince do that?). And twohuskies photo of Tradescant is a work of art, something mysterious and a little dangerous. Then there is Hoov's Barcelona, both rose perfection and photo perfection. Now I've got to run take a blood pressure pill--then view this thread again. Diane